16 (100%)
Too Much
0 (0%)
Not Enough
0 (0%)
Did Not Read or Use Them
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Sandy Weather Forecasts & Outlooks...Your Opinion Poll Added  (Read 57134 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Sandy Weather Forecasts & Outlooks...Your Opinion Poll Added
« on: November 03, 2012, 03:13:37 PM »
As you all know, I take weather and meteorology very seriously.  It is something I am very passionate about.  While, I am not a professional, I have a good idea about what is going on and am studying meteorology now.  I also know how to interpret the crazy lingo the NWS and other meteorologists use on their forecasts.

I always like to improve, so I want to get everyone's opinion...good, bad or indifferent!  I am easy going, open to suggestions and want to make sure the "service" I am providing to the members here is adequate or just a waste of time?

What was your opinion of the Forecasts and Outlooks for Sandy?

Did I properly portray the storm with the facts, or was the storm understated or over hyped?

Did I give you adequate time to make the right preparations and be ready and prepared for what we got hit with?

Were updates too frequent, not enough or just right?

Overall, let me know what you think?

You don't have to do this right now.  I know many are recovering and still without power like myself.  I just got enough cell service to tether the laptop to the phone(and heard Verizon and many other providers are not charging for data overages to any disaster declared areas!).  You can either leave a comment here, send me a personal message or send me an email.  As most people in the weather field, these are the storms that keep us up at night, reviewing the models and data, the atmosphere and making sure we give the information out properly!  While, the forecasts and outlooks I post are from the NWS and other meteorologists, I am paraphrasing and reviewing the information and passing it along.  I want to make sure that I am doing everyone a service here and not hindering or misleading!  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as it will make me better during my education process!

I hope everyone is well, safe and recovering how they have to.  For those of you with significant losses, I am very sorry!  If I can be of any help, please let me know.  As a State we will get through this and as a NJSWF Family we won't let any of our family falter!  Thankfully, there are very few fatalities from this storm, so far.  I again, want to say, that the group of people we have here are the BEST!  The preparation and readiness that this group, as a whole, expressed before this storm, is a model of what every citizen in the US and the world should do.  While others were saying this storm would be nothing, everyone of you said it was possible, but didn't wait and take that risk.  Then the check ins and offers for help; this place is great!

I will be putting together some information of the possible next Nor'Easter along with an abbreviated forecast for the upcoming days by tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks,
Matt

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
Re: Sandy Weather Forecasts & Outlooks...Your Opinion Poll Added
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »
Thanks for all of the hard work Matt. You info is where I kept updated.  t^
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »
Matt.  you reports were the only thing I was reading.
 t^  I was just saying to myself what a great asset you are.. right before I seen this topic t^

Was this my idea.. or yours  clp msfsh

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 10:22:09 PM »
Fantastic job Matt! t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 10:40:06 PM »
A job well done. Some of the maps are above my level, but the word stuff was good for the lay person.  TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline FishOn

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 12:04:41 AM »
 whs
I always read your posts
Who are you to judge the life I live? I'm not perfect and I don't have to be! Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean. - Bob Marley

Offline paul-e

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 12:23:35 AM »
A job well done. Some of the maps are above my level, but the word stuff was good for the lay person.  TT^

Yea Matt. Awesome work of weather data analysis. But I, like Joe, don't really understand some of the "cool map stuff" but that's what you're for. slt slt chrz

Keep up the good work! t^
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:57:32 AM »
And to think, most of the time it's only the pictures I look at in the magazines.  ;D rofla
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 11:12:15 AM »
Awesome job!

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 11:20:11 AM »
I loved your updates.  Some of them were a little over my head in detail, but the gist was there and remember I'm Polish.   rofla

Looking back you were calling this from day one where other weather stations were still unwilling to do so. I for one hope you keep doing it, lets me know that I will have ample time to prepare next time.   
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 11:50:48 AM »
Matt, thanks for your efforts.. You do a stellar job of mining  the data that is of most value to our members.. and your method of presenting and describing the info in a consolidated post, makes it very convenient and  easy  to comprehend..  Keep up the great work!  t^  chrz  chrz

Offline wimpy

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »
Great job Matt, i'll admit it, weather and meteorology has also been a passion of mine after taking several classes in college. Everyday i look at the same charts you post on here and as confusing as they look they tell an enormous story which effects everything. Had my eye on Sandy over a week ago and what it could end up converging with, it was amazing and something we'll all never forget. Stick with it.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 12:22:59 PM »
Thank you everyone!  I did not intend this to be a self-promotion post.  I wanted to make sure that the information I gave you about Sandy was accurate and sufficient to make the decisions you needed to make.

As for the maps, they are confusing and difficult if you don't know what you are looking at...just a bunch of lines and colors ;D.  I will try and better explain them, while still keeping it summarized.  If anyone would like some basics on the graphics and models, I would be more than happy to put some information or links up.  I am also going to work on a weather links post to sticky in the Weather Section.

So, thanks again!  I will keep "carrying on."  Also, other members who have knowledge and experience in weather, please feel free to add, disagree, discuss, etc...I am easy going, not a know it all and welcome other information and opinions.  This is a team effort.

Thanks,
Matt TT^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 12:25:32 PM »
Matt.  you reports were the only thing I was reading.
 t^  I was just saying to myself what a great asset you are.. right before I seen this topic t^

Was this my idea.. or yours  clp msfsh

The Weather Outlooks were all your idea clp TT^!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 01:25:59 PM »
 ;D fngr

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 01:48:40 PM »
great job.. I agree with the above, some of those maps were way above my head.  My only added opinion as I mentioned a few days ago, as the days get closer, delete the old and leave the most updated reports, as some people who quickly look at it don't look at the older reports on accident, especially with while browsing on the Iphones.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline wimpy

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 02:33:40 PM »
Isobars,pressure gradient force and Coriolis force oh my!! Maybe this can help:
http://www.srh.weather.gov/srh/jetstream/synoptic/synoptic_intro.htm

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-