Author Topic: Use of Synthetic Oil :Question  (Read 12843 times)

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Re: Use of Synthetic Oil :Question
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 06:42:49 PM »
  pcrn
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Capt. Rich K

• Sponsor
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 08:08:13 PM »
I use regular motor oil in my boat and truck,boat gets changed every 100hrs and when you put 600-900 hrs a year it adds up in oil changes but proof is in the pudding my old boat has all most 3000hrs on the motors on conventional motor oil and runs great, if you change it at the recommended schedule i feel you will be fine.my dodge/Cummins has 170,00 mile and its juiced up, has used reg motor oil since day one and change it at every 5000 miles.its you choice to use what you want but if you like to do extended oil changes i would got with synthetic.   

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 09:11:47 PM »
Okay here  is the deal !
Called Generac
called Honda
called Craftsman
called Dodge,Chevrolet and Ford,Toyota
called Briggs N Stratton and some other manufactuers for small engines:
all of their Techs. stated you can use Synthetic oil in their machines.Some even suggested what weight syn. oil to use for best results.Changing oil at regularly scheduled intervals was critical if your using regular oil or synthetic.
I quess if you plan on keeping the machine/motor long term its up to you to decide what protection you need and what price.
Good Luck to Oil  fcp you guys.Thanks for your reply.
Oh man I wish I was  fishing/plugging the back bays right now.Come on spring.

Offline Mbailey33

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 06:22:43 AM »
Heres a question, now that my '04 Silverado has 120k on it, should i switch from regular to synthetic? Shes flawless..5.3L....ive had it since new, and will admit im a bit of a maintenence nut. ....but shes got me to 120k only needing brakes and tires...will switching to synthetic now that she has higher miles make a difference?
Never put off until tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow

Offline DJ76

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 12:20:06 PM »
Heres a question, now that my '04 Silverado has 120k on it, should i switch from regular to synthetic? Shes flawless..5.3L....ive had it since new, and will admit im a bit of a maintenence nut. ....but shes got me to 120k only needing brakes and tires...will switching to synthetic now that she has higher miles make a difference?

your bigger problem is its a chevy...get rid of it   rofla rofla rofla
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 01:37:22 PM »
I know a guy who has a Dodge with 465,ooo miles on the truck.When I told him I had 166,000 on my truck  he said "keep changing the oil go synthetic" Thats what started this thread !!!
Good Luck to All. t^

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 01:51:58 PM »

Oh man I wish I was  fishing/plugging the back bays right now.Come on spring.

yup

Offline Mbailey33

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 03:39:14 PM »

Chevy trucks, all day, every day  t^

I actually had a rental truck when my company car (Subaru)was in an accident....I had a 2012 Dodge 1500....I parked it all the way to the rear of my property so none of that Dodge Ugly rubbed off on my other vehicles  TT^...that and god, what would the neighbors think.  hhppy

Had an F250 for a company truck..thing was great, but god you could feel every bump...not an enjoyable ride at all. That said, my father in law had an 86 F250...loved that truck, was like driving a brick #$#%house
Never put off until tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow

Offline DJ76

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »

Chevy trucks, all day, every day  t^

I actually had a rental truck when my company car (Subaru)was in an accident....I had a 2012 Dodge 1500....I parked it all the way to the rear of my property so none of that Dodge Ugly rubbed off on my other vehicles  TT^...that and god, what would the neighbors think.  hhppy

Had an F250 for a company truck..thing was great, but god you could feel every bump...not an enjoyable ride at all. That said, my father in law had an 86 F250...loved that truck, was like driving a brick #$#%house

Agreed...ford should have the slogan like a rock.
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline Duffman

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 08:04:15 PM »

....and now ya started a whole other set of arguments!  ....."starting using syn late...now burning oil".....     ;D

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 08:10:26 PM »

....and now ya started a whole other set of arguments!  ....."starting using syn late...now burning oil".....     ;D

whs don't start now.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Andys Delight

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 08:45:50 PM »
Cool story my HS economics teacher taught us.  Back in the 80's synthetic oil was introduced and put on shelves.  It was a fraction of the price of dino oil, it was scientifically proven to be equal or better than dino oil, and it basically was slapped with a label that said "synthetic oil" and not much more.  No one bought it.  Couldn't PAY people to put it in their engines.  The thought was something so cheap and no frills couldn't possibly be good. 

Fast forward a few years down the line they took the same synthetic oils, slapped a price tag over double the cost of dino oils, and gave it cool names like Syntec with futuristic label designs.  Now it sells like hotcakes and you have people swearing by it.  The moral of the story is no one believes science, but sure enough high prices and cool labels means it MUST be good!

Personally I think dino is fine if you change it religiously.  I think synthetic is better for longer interval changes.  Most of the general population changes their oil (outside of warranty) when something else breaks as in "oh yeah change the oil too" when they're getting something major done.  Those people should use synthetic IMO.  I have a diesel and personally run synthetic oils.  Just peace of mind for me even though I am ridiculously good about oil changes. 
The cure for everything is salt water: sweat, tears, and the sea.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 05:18:06 AM »

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Duffman

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 03:09:19 PM »
The turbo entabulator uses synthetic only...

;D

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 08:47:25 AM »
The turbo entabulator uses synthetic only...

;D

That's a little old, I think the price has come down.

Very well explained  t^

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 08:18:22 PM »
 You can not forget the "Dingle Arm" clp  rofla rofla

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-