Author Topic: PB Fluke (6/6)  (Read 2183 times)

Offline DJ76

PB Fluke (6/6)
« on: June 08, 2013, 10:25:23 AM »
late report but been busy.

Buddy called me up earlier in the week and said we have to go get the ling.  thought about it and decided to play hookie from work. left the house at four and get down to pt pleasent only to find the boat was basically shoulder to shoulder with fisherman an hour before starting time, no thanks.  drove back up to highlands and decided to change things up a bit and go flukin.  no fluke to show in the bucket but i did manage nine shorts...two at 17.25 and two at 17...yes the guys were making fun of me on the boat.  great weather in raritan bay and met a nice fisherman who was giving me some pointers on some things i was doing wrong or could improve on, and I was appreciative of it to say the least. started increasing my hookups after his little suggestion.  always nice to have an older gentlemen show a (little) younger guy some tips and tricks.
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
Re: PB Fluke (6/6)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 10:28:14 AM »
late report but been busy.

Buddy called me up earlier in the week and said we have to go get the ling.  thought about it and decided to play hookie from work. left the house at four and get down to pt pleasent only to find the boat was basically shoulder to shoulder with fisherman an hour before starting time, no thanks.  drove back up to highlands and decided to change things up a bit and go flukin.  no fluke to show in the bucket but i did manage nine shorts...two at 17.25 and two at 17...yes the guys were making fun of me on the boat.  great weather in raritan bay and met a nice fisherman who was giving me some pointers on some things i was doing wrong or could improve on, and I was appreciative of it to say the least. started increasing my hookups after his little suggestion.  always nice to have an older gentlemen show a (little) younger guy some tips and tricks.

Awesome. What were you doing wrong. Feel free to share!

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 11:36:35 AM »
 t^ thanks for the report.
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 03:23:31 PM »
Nice to get out.   t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Twins n Fins

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 04:24:29 PM »
Learned a long time ago Watch n Listen and you learn something! Nice day out

Offline DJ76

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 06:19:32 PM »
Two simple things....one was how I was holding the fluke when taking the hook out. Much easier to control his way.  Then he noticed when was getting a nibble (but not enough for a hook set) I was pulling up to fast. He told me to slowly reel up then gently put back down....after that my hookup ratio was much better. Was explaining how a good fluke will follow a bait for a little while longer.  He didn't have to point anything out but he did. And it didn't fall on deaf ears. I was appreciative.
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 08:20:38 PM »
It's all good DJ, just when you think you have Fluke figured out THEY change the game  ;D I'm 55 been flukeing since I was 3 I,m still looking for my doormat.  thud I have changed my flukeing styles 3 or 4 times over the years different rigs,now I'm a full blown bucktailer and do ok. My wife drags bait and has the biggest fluke on our boat that went 9lbs. She caught on a day we had NO drift In a area there was NO structure. So if you get flukeing figured out let me know  TT^ Have a great season
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 06:32:17 AM »
Been fishing for more years than I can count ,and still learning new things from different guys I fish with .Never to young or old ,to learn .

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 09:53:58 AM »
 t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-