Author Topic: Shrewsbury Rocks  (Read 8117 times)

Offline akamoonman

• john
Shrewsbury Rocks
« on: June 17, 2013, 03:30:45 PM »
Need some help... About how long does it take to get to the shrewsbury rocks from the manasquan inlet.. boat does about 40... is it just the same to fish the axle carlson or sea girt reefs for stripper - fluke - sea bass.... Thanks...
john R...

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
Re: Shrewsbury Rocks
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:19:32 PM »
The Rocks Shrewsbury Rocks are approximately 14-15 miles from the Manasquan Inlet. The boat size along with sea conditions will determine your actual speed up the coast. The rocks are not just one big rock field, but contain various features such as the Elbow, Ribbons, Green Bell, Green Can etc. Lots of options there and I have had some great days. 

On occasion I Blast up there if I'm catching first light and have already made bait, as there are so many opportunities in between, then I'll fish my way back to the inlet. Most of the time I'm fishing my way to the rocks, looking for signs of life, seeing who is home along some of the other bottom features, enjoying a beverage etc. and sometimes never actually make it that far north.

Yep, there are also times I fish the Axel & Sea Girt Reefs, I burn less fuel. Don't forget about the deep water stuff out on the Shark River Reef. Lot's of real estate outside the inlet, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Get the reef charts and have at it.                 
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline rossg

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »
The rocks will provide great structure for fluke,seabass,striped bass as well as bluefish and TOG. Not the same
Not only is THE ROCKS a great place to fish but offshore at the rattelsnake.There are some special spots that I have personally put big fluke in the boat.
I highly recommend you learning the rocks.
It will pay dividends all season
Ross
Lady J TOO Belmar

Offline akamoonman

• john
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »
Thanks guys ....
Fishin dude i thinks thats a great idea to fish ur way north to the rocks.. 
Rossg I may just stay inshore i dont have my offshore legs.. 24 searay ...
 I think I may start going a bit north and giving them rocks a shot... try something a bit different... 
john R...

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 06:48:41 PM »
Afew things... first, you won't wanna fish the Sea Girt or Axel Carlson for striped bass. They are beyond the 3 mile line and therefor illegal >:(. Second, I love the Shrewsbury rocks, and the slightly closer Long Branch Rocks, because they offer something different from the aforementioned sites for days when they are not producing. The fact that they are generally much shallower means that they give you  nice second option for days when the deeper reefs and wrecks are no good.  Fluke, stripers, seabass, porgies, tog... the rocks hold them all at different times of year!
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 07:16:29 PM »
The Axel Carlson is within state waters, but it is located south of Manasquan inlet, so you won't be passing by on your way to the rocks. I've pulled some nice fish from there as well. When the wind is going to pick up from the south in the afternoon, its nice to not have to take it on the bow for 15 miles back to the inlet.
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline akamoonman

• john
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 09:32:09 AM »
So how long...  more or less does it take to get out there... we talking like an hour with good weather... Are there any parts of the rocks that fish better for differenty species or is it all the same....
john R...

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:58:12 AM »
If you can run 40 mph on the water (as you have posted) you should be able to get to the rocks in about a half hour from your inlet. Most days the wind will swing to the south in the afternoon so you can figure on a slower ride back unless you don't mind getting beat up going into a head sea.

When Ross mentioned his spots 'offshore' he wasn't referring to a 20+ mile ride out, he was referring to approximately 4 or so miles from the beach, just 'offshore' of the rocks. I know, he has called me into his spots on more than one occasion (thanks again Ross  t^).

The species caught are various and will/can be on any section of the rocks at any given time. You may have to search to find where the bite is on any particular day. The fish will forever move around on the spots. You can find fish at one spot one day and they can be scarce on that spot the next.

If you can't find fish on the rocks head just slightly north of the rocks and you will be on the Sandy Hook reef. Another great spot to find a variety of fish.

But, as Darren alluded to, make stops on known catching spots while working your way up. Many times you will find what you are looking for before you make the long run north, thus saving time and fuel.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline akamoonman

• john
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 10:31:15 AM »
IrishAyes... U the Man... Thanks for clarifing...0

Does the wind usually come from the south in the afternoon... I have also heard that its better to fish when the wind is blowing in a certain direction..
john R...

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 04:57:45 PM »
IrishAyes... U the Man... Thanks for clarifing...0

Does the wind usually come from the south in the afternoon... I have also heard that its better to fish when the wind is blowing in a certain direction..

I would say the wind swings to the south quite often in the afternoon, not always, but QUITE OFTEN.  ;D

I prefer a westerly wind for catching. South winds suck. :P
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-