Author Topic: Fuel problem.  (Read 5337 times)

Offline Fightin Irish

• Photobucket
Fuel problem.
« on: July 22, 2013, 12:18:45 PM »
I had bad fuel in my tanks pumped it out got motors running on a portable tank added new fuel about fourty gallons. Squeezed primer ball and had the fuel pour in to a jar and the new fuel is still coming out foggy and I don't want to run it thru my motors. I have pumped a gallon or so out it got a little better but still foggy.  Could my lines from tank be bad I see no dirt or debri just off colored yellow fuel.
Tight Lines and Screaming reels

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Fuel problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:23:47 PM »
Did you check or replace the fuel filter if you have one?
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 05:34:16 PM »
When you emptied the tank did you get it all? Put some into a clear glass jar. Swirl the jar so it creates a vortex. If there is any water you will see it. Use at least a quart jar. A small amount of water can containmate quit a bit of fuel.  If you can pull some out before the filter. Good luck!

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 05:44:14 PM »
Fuel lines are pretty durable. If they don't seem cracked or shown signs of breakdown they should be good.  Perhaps you did not get all the containments from the tank. You can purchase some additives to help clean up the fuel. You just might have to clean your fuel filters and water separator a bit more until your problem is solved. 
   Matt over at Task Marine might be able to solve your issue with a phone call or email. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 09:33:24 PM »
Cloudy fuel sounds like phase separation. The ethanol and water settled on the bottom of the tank. You removed the bad fuel, but most likely did not get every last drop of ethanol and water from the bottom of the tank, since most people siphon the tank from the top. Now you add fresh fuel, and the ethanol/water is still laying on the bottom, which is exactly where your fuel pick up is located. Pump the bulb, and you get the cloudy stuff from the bottom. Keep pumping, you stated that after about a gallon it was looking better, keep pumping the crap out of it until its clear. Replace your fuel filter/water separator as well. That ethanol is bad news. It's been blamed for all sorts of marine problems from clogged filters, deteriorated fuel lines,  fuel pump diaphragm failure, and even metal part failure in fuel systems have been blamed on the ethanol. Use a good fuel stabilizer, and also check the O ring on your fuel filler cap to make sure water is not entering the tank from the cap. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck.   
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:14:05 PM »
How long did the fuel sit in the tank? I am assuming it was a poly tank? Ethanol is killing poly tanks.... It is essentially slowly melting them from the inside out. The left over destroyed plastic breakdown can stay in the tank even after drained.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Fightin Irish

• Photobucket
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 07:53:30 AM »
Thanks for the info. They are aluminum tanks and my filters were changed. What a nightmare this has been.  I've been down for a year with problems and I think I just have to keep pumping out the fuel till I get good clean fuel.
Tight Lines and Screaming reels

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »
Thanks for the info. They are aluminum tanks and my filters were changed. What a nightmare this has been.  I've been down for a year with problems and I think I just have to keep pumping out the fuel till I get good clean fuel.

Disconnect the hose that comes from the fuel tank at the inlet to the fuel filter. Pump out fuel from there until you get nothing but clean fuel. Then and only then replace all your filters and reconnect the lines. Don't forget to empty the fuel in the lines between the filter and the motor, as well as any in the carbs if you got those.

Good luck.

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »
How long did the fuel sit in the tank? I am assuming it was a poly tank? Ethanol is killing poly tanks.... It is essentially slowly melting them from the inside out. The left over destroyed plastic breakdown can stay in the tank even after drained.
Please post where I can find this info your stating.
 I work on this stuff all day long, all makes and models and totally disagree. Actually, I have not seen one Poly tank with any issues YET including my own which is a 2001. Now Aluminum, without a doubt. What are carburetor float chambers made from? Any idea how many carbs get rebuilt and have to replace the float bowls due to ethanolitis? And fuel lines? How about tin fuel tanks? Its endless.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-