Author Topic: 8/15 and 8/16  (Read 1389 times)

Offline fellinger

• Super Hero Member
    • SafeTec Training Services
8/15 and 8/16
« on: August 17, 2013, 08:39:58 PM »
Headed out Thursday with Jeff, Scott, and Jake. Broke the inlet at 730 and headed north to the oil wreck with visions of sharks in our head. Setup the slick and by 1000 the far line screams. Scott takes the rod and shortly after a mako is boatside. It was hard to get a measure so I pull the shark onto the swim platform. It taped at 56". Assuming this could be the only shot at table fare we dispatched it with the shotgun and it's shark in da boat. Lines back out and soon after the far line again goes off. I hook the fish and hand off the rod to Jeff to prepay to leader the fish if needed. Soon after a 20# class mahi is boatside. I swing and miss with the gaff. Jake decises to try to lift the fish in as I scream nooooo! As I watch the hook pull out of its cheek. We finish put the slick with no other takers. We threw bait and trolled the pots with no takers. Encountered at least 150 dolphins swimming with the boat, many mothers with calves.

Friday the crew was me, Jeff for day two, and Adam. Broke the inlet at 0330 with the plan of driving past the Resor to check out the life before heading to the AP area. Nearing the Resor I knew the aux tank would be quitting soon. I stop and switch to the main. Off we go to have the engine quit a minute later. This happens several times. Tried checking the fuel filter but couldn't get it off. Bypassed the filter and still nothing! "Hello, Tow Boat US??"....... Eta 3.5 hours. Lines and chunk goes in the water while waiting for the tow. Far rod screams ans Jeff sets the hook. Rod doubles over and a min later nada. Line was clearly cut. Assuming it was a shark. Tow gets to us and trolling spread and beer gets broken out for the 6 hour ride in. We trolled for 30+ miles without a bite.

Back at the dock we get the boat on the trailer and back home. Diagnoses points to fuel pump. It looks like we should be back in service by Wednesday. Even with the breakdow. It was a great day on the water.

Fred, fishing the "Kristy Marie" from Manasquan River Club. Channels 16/67/68.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Re: 8/15 and 8/16
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 12:15:49 AM »
Congrats on the shark and the mahi mahi (if you touched the leader it counts). t^  

Sorry about your engine trouble.  Hope you get it straightened out soon.

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 05:37:49 AM »
Congrats on the Mako and Mahi.  Some good table fair.

Nice to know Boat U.S is always there for you. Good luck with the repair. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 05:50:29 AM »
Man,that's a tough's one .Grad to hear it you'll be back up and running in short notice . t^

Offline Reel McCoy

• AKA usd00017
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 08:34:16 AM »
Day 1 sounds great  t^  Day 2  rgmn   but great idea trolling on the way back in  t^  Hope the fix is quick and cheap.
22' Grady-White Reel McCoy II

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-