Author Topic: What The Heck Am I Doing Wrong?  (Read 49332 times)

Offline TurboDan

Re: What The Heck Am I Doing Wrong?
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2007, 12:17:41 AM »
Wow, very interesting.  I'm learning so much in this thread!  Yeah, for some reason I've pretty much always used the three-way swivel for just about everything, regardless.  Everything gets attached to the three-way in some way shape or form.

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2007, 09:42:56 PM »
im currently having that same problem whit stipers. in the summer i had no problen catching bluefish but now i was out a few times and had a horrible time. i was using the same bait as the guys next to me and they caught like 4 stipers and i didnt even get a bite. i would need some help with the stripers.

Offline gagedylan

• http://www.myspace.com/husbandshatemeclub
    • facebook
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2007, 07:35:02 AM »
bluefish will eat almost anything, presented almost any way. stripers are more picky feeders. most of my success this time of year has been on a hi/lo rig, WHOLE fresh clams, pierce the whole glob onto the hook as best you can, and go (i'm assuming were talking surf fishing). i've gone to the beach and caught 28 bluefish in an hour, that's probably not going to happen with stripers. patience. keep at it.

good luck!
25' Chris Craft Sea Hawk W/A with twin Suzuki 140 OB

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2007, 06:02:47 PM »
 whs Good luck.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2007, 07:17:54 PM »
I had a couple hours to kill this afternoon so I decided to go over just to the Manasquan River RR bridge for a little while.  There were fish jumping up out of the water (seemed like big ones too) but I didn't get any hits for the hour I fished.

I was using a 4oz Storm shad, tied directly to the line on the rod.  The current is pretty strong around there and it didn't seem like the lure was making it to the bottom.  In a circumstance like this, where the water is moving quickly, what is the best approach?  Should I use an egg sinker and then a leader to give it some extra weight?  Or, perhaps, should I use a fresh/salted clam with some type of weight? 

I also have some larger Tsunami lures, that are a lot like the Storm shads, only larger and much heavier.  Perhaps I should give them a try.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2007, 11:12:23 AM »

Really can't add to anything you said other than to have some 6" shad bodies and jig heads or Tsunami type shad baits in your bag. Yes bluefish will tear them to shreds but once they thin out those types of baits can be the difference between catching or not. I know they were the only baits catching bass up in the Raritan Bay area Sunday afternoon on the Sea Hunter.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 01:00:26 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2007, 11:45:04 AM »
I have enjoyed reading this post. Don't have any thing to add, it has all been covered other than for me jigging with metal or bucktail has always been a very productive way to catch fish and fun. Your constantly active and need to think about what your doing so the presention of the bait is right. FISH ON!!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2007, 01:00:49 PM »
You Guys ROCK!!   w00t

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2008, 09:18:19 PM »
Hi Folks,

Just thought I would reach out to the crowd and see if anyone had an opinion on my situation.  It's actually pretty simple - I can't catch a damn thing!  5hrug

I can hook up with fluke in the summer.  I've never had a problem with that.  But when it comes to anything else... anything... I can't get a single bite.  I think I'm doing everything right.  I buy the lures that everyone else seems to have success with.  I cast and retrieve as described by so many other people.  But it never works.  Tonight, I was fishing right by the Railroad Bridge in the Manasquan River.  A few feet from me there was another boat and the two guys were reeling in blues like crazy.  I had one little tug on the line, and that was it.  I didn't boat a single fish, nor did I even get another bite. 

Does anyone think I could be doing something terribly wrong?  Am I using a rig that cannot catch fish for some reason?  Granted, I really am not experienced in rigging a line, and may be using something completely wrong.  Should I be using live/frozen bait rather than artificials?  Other than fluke, I haven't caught a single fish this season while every report I read and every person I talk to reports at least a good selection of blues in the river.  I just don't get it. 

Unfortunately, I'm pretty much the only person in my group of friends that likes fishing, so that's pretty much out as an option.  How did everyone here get started?  Should I hire a guide and learn from a pro?

Well, just ranting for now.  As I've always said on here, anyone who feels like going fishing, feel free to drop me a PM.  Boat, gas and beer on me.  I'd love to observe how some of you guys hook up and learn from it.

Well, i can't solve all your problems, but i can tell you how to catch blues in the Manasquan river.  (try this on the outgioing tide in the 3rd week in may or whenever the spring tailor blues invasion is)  Cast a plug (preferably a yo-zuri Crystal minnow, single hooks and 8 inches of wire leader) out pretty far, and retrive it fast with a jerky retreive.  If that doesen't work, try the same thing with a metal (kastmasters are great).  this works great in the spring invasion like I said earlier, and also in the staging part if the fall run.  Then (September), use a sand eel teaser to catch tons of hickory shad.

If the toothy buggers keep cutting you off, try a shot of 50-lb leader above the wire, and grip it when you lift the fish into the boat.

I hope this helps you catch at least this type of fish. 
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2008, 11:15:53 PM »
Good points everyone.  I can't wait till March 1st to get started in the bays and rivers for stripers. 

My tackle boxes have almost been replenished and ready to go.  I even had to go out and pick up a second box this year.  There is a lot of new stuff to try.  I heard that the early early spring fishing was really productive using Storm shad.  Looking forward to trying it this year.

All my teasers are ready to go and I have tied up a bunch of leaders with dropper loops to handle the teasers.  So bring it on...

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline striperdad

« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2008, 07:48:10 PM »
Throwing storms at bluefish can get quite expensive. Try throwing some chrome jigs. Bluefish usually only get the tail on the storm.

Offline striperdad

« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2008, 07:55:41 PM »
I guess your local like me. Try tha canal for bass. Storms work well. Live herring is better. When fishing storms you want to bump the bottom. Cast up current working your rod tip and retrieving slowly. Watch not to hang up on the bottom.Keep the rod tip up.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2008, 11:24:42 PM »
Its a good thing I surf fish, I would hate to lug all this stuff around.  When I get everything together I will take a couple of shots of the beach buggy fully stocked and ready for action this year.

That would be for me hitting the beach.  If the wife goes there are things like the Porta-Potty and putting up a collapsible privy. To a portable gas grill.  Man all the comforts of home.

That is why I try to go by myself or other guys.  I love to roam and hunt for the fish.  Search for bait breaking the surface and birds crashing into them, now thats my kind of fishing.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline FINITALIA2

• 43.8lbs. 49in.
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2008, 07:53:42 PM »
practice makes perfect

Offline twoforhooking

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2008, 06:37:43 PM »
When in doubt troll the stretch's t^ good luck!
"Jon"

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2008, 12:31:45 PM »
This is a great post. Alot of great information here,mabey I can add a little something. You have to pay your dues in fishing. The more you are out there working it the better you will get. And patience, patience patience. When you start stressing about not hookin up, its like the fish sence it. It deffinatly shows in your approach. I get that way from time to time, I get so wrapped up in in. You have to take a step back, and just chill out. Dont try and hit that home run with every cast, it will come. Focus on your approach, and just enjoy being out there.Also, and we all do this, fish when we can and not when we are supposed to. Showing up at a spot to fish at the wrong time doesnt do us any good.Pay attention to tides, water temps,wind,the moom phases,and fish when the condions are right not when you just have free time. This is a great post, good luck and hopefully great catches for everyone.

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2008, 04:40:53 PM »
Something that might lead to your lack of catching is as simple as your reel retrive ratio.When you see the other guys reeling their line in,it might be at slower grtn pace than you,because of a faster ratio in the reel gearing.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2008, 04:59:33 PM »
Good point on the reel gearing tip Salty. Many newbees aren't even aware that there is a difference in gear ratios between reels.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline 0ffShoreRy@n

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2008, 03:48:27 PM »
did you try the fish dance? If you put enough time in your get the fish i use squid and sand ells but i mostly use berkleys Gulp best bait on the market try the gulp its gods gift of fake bait and on the package has more scent then real bait and when your done put it back in the bag so it regans scent and it doesnt fall in the fishes mouth
A wise man once said" MANY SHIP AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA HAD THE RIGHT AWAY AND TOOK IT"
"Taylor Vee" Wellcraft 360 Coastal

Offline double3fd

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2008, 05:24:04 AM »
hey,

when i go fishing, i dont care what i catch.  im a catch and release guy.  whats been working for me which catches a lot of blues is this:

i use a 3 way swivel.  i hook a 4oz weigh to one, the other goes to the pole, and the third is for my hook.  i use a leader about 2 feet and tie a hook.  sometimes i use a metal leader with the hook already on it (blues can bite through the line). 

before i go out, i buy a bunch of fresh bunker.  ill cut them into peices and just hook them to the hook. 

you are almost guarenteed to catch something.  good luck
-Angry Snapper- "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-