Author Topic: Surprises Everytime out  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Xfire2149

Surprises Everytime out
« on: August 11, 2014, 02:23:46 PM »
I started saltwater fishing New Jersey waters just this Summer. Having never lived here and coming from the other side of the country fish and fishing are a little bit different. One thing that does remain the same is........Fishing is like a box of chocolates (thanx Forest) you never know what you’re going to get. This Saturday was no exception. So this weekend I racked up on species of fish I'd never had a chance to catch prior to moving here.

A quick trip out of Manasquan Inlet in my 21' pursuit yielded 3 black bass and a medium ling cod out of the Axel Carlson reef in about 80' water.
Motored back in through he inlet and fished a few minutes by the pipeline for 2 short fluke.

Went back out yesterday morning further south on the Axel Carlson and I caught 3 fluke right away, another black bass, and then a huge surprise....We got into the Dorado. They were all schoolies and about 2 pounds but what an acrobatic show!!! So now my interest is definitely piqued. I'm on a hunt for more and bigger dorado/dolphin/mahi (whatever you choose). Cant wait till next week. Going out a bit further and fishing the buoys.
Army Ranger /Navy Diver

Offline Tuna Tales

Re: Surprises Everytime out
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 02:43:37 PM »
Nice trip!

Yes...many different types of fish out there right now.

Yesterday we had schools of mahi mahi around us for most of the day - they just not bite...we only landed 2...perhaps due to the Super Moon?

Joe T.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 02:52:37 PM »
 t^

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 03:10:23 PM »
I love a surprise fish coming up that you don't expect.  t^

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 05:56:12 AM »
Great report,  Have fun next week t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 07:03:21 AM »
Great report .That's what's fun about fishing ,be it salt or fresh ,a box of  5hrug

Offline njbob49

• Cod caught on the "Stick"
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 07:24:28 AM »
Thanks for the report.  You are doing it right by taking baby steps in how far you are going out to fish. When you hook that first small Mahi leave it in the water by the boat and it will usually draw more to the boat trying to see why the first one is so excited.

Tight Lines,
Bob G chrz  slt

PS:  Always have a heavier rod with you ready to go in case you see some tuna, stripers or maybe a nice shark.

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 09:27:13 AM »
nice post!

Offline Xfire2149

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 09:33:36 AM »
Hey Bob! Looking forward to our trip soon. I upgraded boats by a couple feet and a couple small amenities. I'm keeping it farther south for the time being. I'm familiar with keeping the fish in the water. Works on Bonita too on the West Coast. I got so darned excited I simply forgot!! Next time!
Army Ranger /Navy Diver

Offline Takes Prizoners

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »
When you hook that first small Mahi leave it in the water by the boat and it will usually draw more to the boat trying to see why the first one is so excited.

Good advice and it definitely works. Always have a bucktail ready to pitch once you run into them.  They'll eat it up real quick.  I don't get out much up here any more but when I'm in FL I always do this on party boats.  Last time I was down, we were drifting with them for about 30 minutes.  20 people catching and only 1 mate and a capt, made for a hard days work for them but they kept up just fine.

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 10:16:22 AM »
 t^
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-