Author Topic: What the fahell was that??  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Xfire2149

What the fahell was that??
« on: September 22, 2014, 09:12:25 AM »
Gotta love learning new places and things (including fish and fishing) I spent most the weekend on the boat fishing on the South side of Raritan bay near the Navy pier. Yesterday I was about 2/3 the length of the pier headed for one of the "J" bouys when I saw this enormous fish jump from the water and wiggle in the sky before splashing. I estimate the fish to be 3'-4' and it probably jumped 2'-3' feet in the air. It wasnt a porpoise or dolphin. It looked more like a gamefish. I talked to some locals in Atlantic highlands and they said it is common to see large sturgeon going airborne in the bay this time of year. I've never seen a sturgeon jump so I cant say. Any thoughts???
Army Ranger /Navy Diver

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
Re: What the fahell was that??
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 09:29:20 AM »
I agree with what you were told; they were probably the Sturgeon. I have seen them over the past few seasons in late August into September. They jump completely out of the water and super high at that; if you can get up close enough it's beautiful site!

Offline Xfire2149

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:51:17 AM »
Found some pics of jumping sturgeon online. Appearantly people have even been hit by these massive fish. I'm wearing a fishing helmet from now on. West Marine has fishing helmets 30% off right now. rofla
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:13:27 PM by Xfire2149 »
Army Ranger /Navy Diver

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »
They have been around and I've seen them in the past 2 weeks. They have humps behind the dorsal fin.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline fluke - u

• Super Hero Member
  • Owner @ Fluke-U Charters
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 11:14:12 AM »
 whs
I support our sponsors !
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-