Author Topic: When hogs play hard to get  (Read 2842 times)

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
When hogs play hard to get
« on: December 09, 2014, 10:58:38 PM »
 rgmn         When hogs play hard to get
After hunting wild  hogs in Florida for over sixty years I have found that they can be relatively easy, or very difficult to harvest. One of the most productive methods is hunting over an electric corn feeder. Hogs are always hungry. Feed them and they will come to you. Or will they? They can be very elusive and are experts at pattering us.
Often they are close by, but, even for corn, refuse to come out of heavy cover.  Their sense of smell is outstanding. They know we are there; they have us 'patterned!' As soon as we leave...good-by corn.
This is what we hope to see:

We will be hunting with Cedar Key's Tiger Island Outfitters over a very active electric corn feeder. A ground blind can work very well. It helps to conceal both scent and movement. I hope to film all the action:

Suddenly we hear and see hogs all around us. But they are on the run and refuse to even give us a chance at a shot. These guys are taking no chances. They desperately want that corn but are way to leery to approach the feeder. No chance for a good shot:

As night approaches hogs are so close we can even smell them, but still no shot. Hopefully tomorrow morning will be different.
'When hogs are playing hard to get' it's time to change tactics. If they will not come to us; let's go to them. Mr. Brian Pritchard, Ocala, Florida, our expert guide suggests we try stalking them in an all electric, completely silent, specially equipped cart designed for the woods.
Suddenly, off at distance, hogs are everywhere. Slowly, ever so quietly, we attempt to get close enough for a good shot. No way! These things are really smart; they are on high alert. I would like one for the grill & one for bragging  rights. But it looks like even getting a shot is more of a dream than reality. Hold on! There is a nice seventy five pound BBQ hog. Brian suggest we take him. BAM! That Marlin 45-70 did it's job. OK! But what about my trophy? Looks like that's going to be much harder. On and on goes the chase. We see hogs, but they are on the run. Let's crank that Nikon scope all the way up to 9 X and try for a long range shot. Suddenly a very respectable gray boar stops an looks back to check on us. He is so far away. Is a humane shot possible at that distance? Our especially equipped cart provides a very stable platform from which to shoot. Let's try it; Brian agrees! I hold my breath and put the cross hairs just under the monster's ear. Ever so slowly I gently touch the trigger. Bam! To my amazement the large boar falls. What a shot, what a hog, what a trip! Thank you Brian; you sure know your hogs.
My trophy has the equipment to really do some damage:

For me it's an honor to show what excellent hunting Florida has to offer. This special designed woods vehicle is really something. Check me and my hogs out in a real, state of the art,  dream machine.

Look at that long distance shot placement. The old man still has it:

Now! Let's talk about that grilling hog. Some say wild hogs are not safe to eat. I have been hunting and feasting on them for over sixty years. I have never had the slightest problem. Properly prepared wild hog meat is not only very lean and very neutrinos, but contains absolutely no additives; it's all natural.'
The pan fried wild hog sausage is hard to beat:

On the grill, or just out of the smoker, the aroma and taste of the wild hog is enough to excite even the non-hunter:

'When hogs play hard to get! We play even harder.
On Sunday I returned from a two day Florida Fisherman fishing trip 100 miles off Madeira Beach. Our catch:

On Tuesday I returned from a two day hunting trip near Cedar Key. Which do I like better? Impossible choice! Much more study is needed.
Bob Harbison  Florida Outdoor writers association

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
Re: When hogs play hard to get
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 05:49:45 AM »
Great report Bob and nice shot too.  I'll bet Tammy can whip up some nice meals from the hog. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 05:12:11 PM »
 slt  Thanks!   I am sure Tammy could.

Offline bayonne

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 10:28:57 PM »
looks great i always want to do some hog hunting in fla seen one place thats $300 for two hogs

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 11:37:12 PM »
 slt     Florida is loaded with outfitters. Prices vary a great deal.  Sure is fun!   

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 11:33:46 AM »
Neat.. Why do they say they are no good to eat

Offline harbison

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 11:21:03 PM »
They have never tried them.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-