Author Topic: Project #3 Underway  (Read 4991 times)

Offline Eng 94

• When the going gets tough the tough get going
Project #3 Underway
« on: February 09, 2015, 12:57:26 PM »
Started the third rod the other day, it's a old custom rod that was built in 1977 and had seen it's better days. I striped all of the guides and tip top, there was some nice diamond wrap at the for grip that I left on also with the signature of the original builders name. I sanded the wrap areas with #340 wet/dry paper to remove the old lacquer finish from the guide areas,and as best I could I sanded lightly over the diamond wrap,wiped it down with denatured Alcohol and then coated it with two coats of thread sealer. I under wrapped the new guide areas and coated them with two coats of thread sealer as well.

Today I applied the first coat of epoxy and have it rotating on the dryer. Tomorrow I will install the new guides. So far I have been able to restore two older rods to like new condition,and one new rod for my wife. I have to say it feels good to look at what can be accomplished with a little time and patience. This is a fun winter project for those that have the time to put into it.
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Project #3 Underway
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:09:17 PM »
Nice way to keep occupied on these cold, winter days. I definitely have the time for these type of projects but absolutely do not have the patience for them.  :P
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 07:19:39 PM »
Sounds like a nice project.  I have a bunch of old rods from the 60's and 70's with wood butts and 3 to 4 eyes on them.  They were great but the newer ones have so much more feeling to them.  Eventually I will find a use for them. 
 Try to post some pics of your project Garlic Joe.. chrz
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 09:53:31 PM »
I try to post as many pictures as I can, I should have taken before pictures, but I never do nosmly Just don't think of it when I am getting started. I'm to busy trying to figure out what I have to do to try and match colors and what I'm going to do to keep the rod correct to it's period.

I like working on the older rods because it's satisfying to see them come back to life,and some of the older rods are as good as the new ones IMO. I have a few old Boat rods with the old wood handles that I have to restore in the future, they have lots of corrector.

For now I'm just getting rods in shape that I intend on using this season.

I have had lots of help from wreckfish and advice to make this a lot easier. Not to mention his new name for me (Garlic Joe)   
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 09:54:43 PM by Eng 94 »
I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everybody

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 08:27:16 AM »
Well project #3 is almost complete. Finished restoring the cork grips and installing the guides yesterday,today I will most likely apply two coats of color guard to the wrap and seal the cork handle.Maybe take a few pictures.

Offline Eng 94

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 03:52:47 PM »
Here are some pictures of the restored rod I took today. It's not finished yet,I still have to put the epoxy coating on the guides and install a new butt cap.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 10:31:15 PM »
 t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-