Author Topic: Need Help for Party Boat Stripers  (Read 1682 times)

Offline Jayrod99

• Full Member of the Den
Need Help for Party Boat Stripers
« on: November 11, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Hi All,

I am looking for some help for what I need for fishing for striper's from a party boat.  I am planning to go a couple times after work.  I have never done it before so I really have no idea.  What length of rod do I need?  What kind of line do I need?  I would think I need to use mono instead of braid because I am going on a party boat.  What kind of rigs do I need?  I would guess I don't need any jigs because I am going at night.  Thanks for the help.  I really appreciate it.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
Re: Need Help for Party Boat Stripers
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 07:56:18 AM »
If you're going after work, I'm going on the assumption that you'll be fishing at night. If thats the case you'll more than likely be eeling.

Only 1 party boat that I know of is fishing nightly and thats the Angle rout of Atlantic Highlands. You'll need a rod at least 7' and able to handle maybe up to 16 ounces of lead (more than likely however you'll be using anywhere from 6-10 ounces) since you could be fishing in the deeper channels were the currents run hard this time of year. Match the rod with a sturdy reel spooled with either #30 mono or braid (make sure you have at least a 15' topshot of mono on the braid). Braid will require you using less weight.

5/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hook snelled to a 36-48" piece of leader. Attach the leader to one eye of a 3-way swivel. To another eye of the swivel attach a piece of mono with a loop at the opposite end for your sinker and the last eye of the swivel goes to your main line.

If by chance you'll be fishing during the day, repost and we'll go from there.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 08:00:27 AM »
Jay Rod,

Skolman was right on with what you'll need, plus you should als be set up t jig, AVA 47-67, Crippled Herring, etc. You can bring two ples n the boat but only ne can be kept on the rail. The other can be stored on the overhang above your head.  Good Luck TT^

Offline Jayrod99

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 10:47:55 PM »
Thanks Guys.  I will be going at night and I am planning to go on the angler.  I want to go on some day trips eventually, but right now I just don't have the time.  Hopefully one day I can get a group together and go out on a trip with you Capt Bob.  Thanks again guys and I will let you know how I do when I go.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 10:50:37 PM »
Good Luck Jayrod..  Don't forget the camera t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 11:17:57 PM »
Catchum up Jayrod...Looking forward to the report.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-