Author Topic: Heavy floro for bass?  (Read 8730 times)

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
Heavy floro for bass?
« on: February 04, 2008, 08:41:50 AM »
I was considering going to 80 or 100lb floro leader this spring when the blues show up in Raritan Bay.

I usually use 30 lb and more often than not, go to wire after losing a few rigs to blues. I hate using wire because I feel it turns the bass off a little. Although, I have caught pleny of bass with a wire leader I still lose confidence.

I figure the heavy floro will last for a couple of blues and if tuna arent turned off by it, then stripers shouldn't. Any thoughts?

Also, what kind of knot is good for heavy floro? Are crimps required?

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
Re: Heavy floro for bass?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 08:47:26 AM »
Palomar not if going that heavy. I have gone that route and believe me, a 10-12lb blue is biting thru 80lb mono. I pretty much use circle hooks for bass now (especially when live lining) and that has helped cut down on the bite offs as it usually gets them in the corner of the mouth.

When chunking, only use the head. 80%^ of time, blues won't touch them but the bass love'm.

Offline Duffman

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 09:14:54 AM »
Forget the heavy fluro.  Even if you can make it through a few bluefish assaults on your rig, would you trust a nicked up leader to losing a possible 30lb + striper that may pick up your bait on the next drop??
   30 lb fluro, 25 yds, 14 bucks
   6/0 Gami octo, 25 pack, 11 bucks
   Figuring you'll use a 3- 4 foot leader on your rig, you can make 22-23 rigs from these  materials. Adding in swivels and a fishfinder, your making rigs for less than 1.50 each.
   A drop in the bucket compared to the chance at fish of a lifetime.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »
True about losing a fish to a nicked leader.

My goal is to be able to get the blue in and re-tie rather than lose it.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 10:36:46 AM »
TRUE circle hooks is your answer.

Better for the bass too.
Especially since you will be releasing most of the ones you catch. Unless you don't catch many ;)

Offline Duffman

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 10:42:11 AM »

My goal is to be able to get the blue in and re-tie rather than lose it.

WHY???   ???   ???   ;D

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 10:47:47 AM »
Bass

I use a 60 lb Floro Carbon Leader....when the Blues come in I switch my hooks from regular to a hook with a 4 1/2 wire trace and tie that on my 36" leader.

The short wire trace saves many bite offs and the bass are not hook shy as most of the trace is in the clam or bunker chunk TT^ TT^ TT^ TT^ works like a charm t^

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 12:48:31 PM »
I've never had to go over #50 on leader when blues are a problem when chunking/clamming the bay for springtime bass.

Before the bluefish enter in force, I'm using #20 (sometime seven lighter especially in April).  Most nights in may I'm starting off with #30 then bump to #40 if bites become too numerous. One thing I usualy do is pre-tie up to a dozen rigs, then all I have to do is cut off the broken rig below the swivel & tie on the pre-tied rig. Alot quicker than having to tie up a new rig while the bite is on.

IMHO, the heavier the leader restricts or hinders the natural appearence of a clam belly of bunker chunk/head as it lays in the current.

Using circle hooks helps cut down on the # of bite offs.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 01:51:13 PM »
I agree with Slolmann,  all my leaders (I make them myself) are 40# as I do 99% of my fishing off the beach and I haven't had much problem with nicks, scratches, or dings in the leader material.

Another reason for floro is its springy ability.  I use from 24 - 30" leaders and this also acts as a shock leader as well.  Just to let you know I have braid on all my setups for the surf and circle hooks are the only hooks ZI use except for the teaser lures I put on on a dropper loop about 12" ubove the plug or metal lure. 

If the blues are in heavy I switch to an 18" wire leader at the end of the shock leader especially when using plugs.  I have not had any problems with bite offs but you have to check your leader after every fish when fishing the surf.

Mboy, mentioned that by using just the head this is true for the most part.  In the surf it is catch as catch can. in other words they are less likely to be picky about what they eat.  But it is a good start.

I hope this helps.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 03:46:49 PM »
I tried circle hooks a while back and lost a couple of big fish because the leader broke right at the hook. I blamed it on the short shank being right in the corner and abrading on the rough "lips" of a striper.

For the early season I usually drift worms and use 20#. I use 30# when the bunker/blues and bigger bass arrive.

Maybe I'll bump it up to 50# and give the inline circles a shot.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 03:57:31 PM »
I have NEVER had that happen, but i don't use 20lb leader for bass (my braid is heavier then 20lb).
I use at least 30 or 40lb. 50lbs sometimes, but 40 usually seams fine on the higher end for 20-30lb bass.

Half the time, I would use just Ande 40lb clear mono for leader, not even leader material.

Never had problem with chafing leader from bass mouth with bass up to my PB of 38lbs caught on live bunker.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 04:04:27 PM »
I have NEVER had that happen, but i don't use 20lb leader for bass (my braid is heavier then 20lb).

Could've been a defective spool of leader material also. But it was a few years ago when circle hooks were pretty new so I gave up on them.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 05:36:48 PM »
You have to remember with circle hooks you do not want to drive the hook home on these puppies.  The fish will hook themselves.  If they swallow the hook it will slide out and cat`h in the lower jaw almost every time.  If you jerk it to hard it will probably come right out of the fish's mouth.  Plus you have to make sure your knot is tied right.

I have not had a problem with these hooks or leader material being chafed like you explained.

There are many good knots to use I like the Palomar for the simple reason I can tie it in the dark on the beach with cold frozen fingers.

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

I hope this helps.

Happy Catching

Paul
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 05:39:37 PM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 08:08:59 AM »
Thanks for the input.

I think it's good to look for different ways of doing things and try to improve on the tried and true methods.

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 08:23:39 AM »
I half to agree with what has been said. I use 40 or 50 floro and about a 9/0 circle hook. Same set up in the Delaware Bay in the Spring with surf clams and Fall with bunker. If the Blues are there unfortunately you just need to deal with it. Or go to plan B and make a move in an attempt to get away from them.

Offline mikeynnj

• AKA Gilligan
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 10:14:23 PM »
I alway's use 30lb wire leader. No problem with the blues and the stripers  never seem to shy away from it like i've heard. Gives me the best of both worlds.
no one said life is going to be perfect; build a bridge and get over it.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 08:05:22 AM »
I don't really think wire is a problem with stripers either. Especially in the murky waters of Raritan Bay. But I can't help but think maybe it's cutting down on my bites.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 12:23:25 PM »
IMHO, wire would be too stiff and not present the bait in a natural manor (ie floating/swaying/tumbling in the current).

I think it would definitely cut down on the number of bites (especially from bass).

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 01:09:27 PM »
I hate fluro.  Tried quite a few brands in numerous #test.  To me it seems to "bananna peel" much easier than mono and never seen a single improvement in catching when switching to fluro leaders. 5hrug

Some of my bigger bass have been on heavy mono leader, short 80# lengths and even wire leader.

Used the short wire leaders on livelined bunker and even flat-line bunker fillets from the boat.

Maybe in cleaner waters than in the NY Bight area it would be beneficial(of course for tuna) but for local fishing it's a waste IMHO. slt
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 01:33:56 PM »
Maybe in cleaner waters than in the NY Bight area it would be beneficial(of course for tuna) but for local fishing it's a waste IMHO. slt

I agree with that for the most part but I still feel more confident with floro.

My personal best striper when fishing from my boat (26#) was caught with a wire leader. 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-