Author Topic: Fluke bag limits-Which one is best?  (Read 6079 times)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Fluke bag limits-Which one is best?
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 11:33:50 AM »
If you will recall, the past several years we had a lot of wind after Labor Day.  That was one of the reasons that the catch was down, you could not get out to fish.  When you could get out, you would get the doormats.

Last year, after the end of the fluke season, there were a lot of SMALL sea bass.  It was hard to pull a good catch of sea bass.  

None of the options will please everyone.  Everyone has their own take on what will be best for them.  And all are good reasons.

I just can't see why the strict limitations on keeping a fish that is more abundant now than it has ever been.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 11:38:54 AM »
I agree... nosmly
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 11:59:28 AM »
sounds good
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 12:23:07 PM »
 It was hard to pull a good catch of sea bass.  

I don't know. I had several good trips fishing some pieces off Sandy Hook in an area called Between The Channels were the 6 of us each had 10-12 #2-4 pound sea bass and a nice smattering of dinner plate size porgies.

Maybe we need to just adjust our way of thinking. Instead of thinking a good trip is only when we limit out on our targeted species and anything less is considered a pick/poor is bad. We should just take/keep what we need and not try to stroke our own egos on how good a fisherman I am & feeling like a hero back at the dock. I know I've been guilty of that myself in the past but have been doing less of that recently.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 02:09:02 PM by Skolmann »

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 12:31:48 PM »
Personally, I'd like to see a season running from Mother's Day to maybe a week after Labor Day with a bag limit of no more than 5 with a minimum size of 17"s.

I really don't feel a need to keep more than 5 fish.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 12:33:17 PM »
I agree with this.  If you want more food for the family, just take another person fishing with you and get his bad limit as well as your own..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 12:58:39 PM »
As usual, good points made here by all.. Picking from the available choices, I would select #3.. I am also strongly in Skolman's camp.. I would rather see a longer season with a slightly reduced size and bag limit.. 5 -17 or 17.5" fish would provide plenty of meat for a guy to take home each day.. And when you consider that most boats will have at least 2-3 anglers aboard, thats a pretty hefty pile of fillets.. And I also firmly believe in the "take what you need" philosophy.. Not that I mind giving a few fillets away to those in need, I just don't think its my job to provide the whole neighborhood with fresh Fluke ..The commercial guys are still able to do that.. I believe all too often people tend to kill as many as the law allows, and often end up looking for a place to dispose of the excess..

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 03:50:18 PM »
I understand your thoughts on a 4,5 or even 6 fish limit.  But they give you an 8 fish limit.  Guys, that 8 fish limit is nothing more than them stroking you.  They base their size and season limits taking into consideration a 2 fish catch.  According to the 'science' that they use, the average fisherman will catch 2 keeper fish per trip.  They say you have an 8 fish limit but, very rarely will you catch that.

If you recall, that is how it was explained last year when we were going thru this same thing.  They want you to think you are getting the best bang for your buck.

And Skol, you are correct, a lot of us, myself included, like to come back and be the king of the dock.  A mind-set that, as you said, should be changed.

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 04:04:41 PM »
Very true. That's why the smaller size lesser bag limit won't happen.

The goal is to have us keep less fish not more.

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 04:10:49 PM »
I don't like any of them either. But with a gun to my head I guess I'd opt for the longer season.

With that being said Capt Dave touched on something with NY getting shut down with the long season. I read an article about a month or so ago, I think it was in the National Fisherman where the powers to be said that even if we did 19" fish with 2 bag limit according to their stats over fishing would still occur and at which time they would shut down federal water. Well, that would really suck. We would possibly lose the later part of the summer and worse the early part of the fall.

I don't know but it sounds like we are screwed no matter what way we go.  bngh

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 04:21:38 PM »
I read only a week ago that if we DID NOT fish for an entire season, the way they figure the number of fish, we would still have OVER FISHED FOR THE SEASON!!!  Now, tell me how THAT makes sense!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 04:38:55 PM »
C.R.A.P.
A new organization we should start.

Comms & Recs Against Proposals    TT^

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 05:37:55 PM »

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2008, 09:15:53 AM »
 bngh bngh
Capt. Joe Why don't you tell us how you REALLY FEEL  ;D I didn't see the option to stop commercial netters for one season. For me last season we didn't see a lot of keepers until mid summer. I would like to see option 1 or 2 modified to run to October with an 18" - 8 fish bag limit. But Like Capt. Joe says They already have us set up TO SUCCEED TO FAIL ! bngh bngh
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:19:02 AM by Pops Soul »
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2008, 09:34:48 AM »
I hate to say it but I'm starting to give up caring what happens.

Every year it's the same...They announce there's going to be cuts...everone starts bit**ing...they give us a few choices that all suck...more bit**ing...we get an inch added...the season comes and we catch fish that are an inch short...

My head is starting to hurt from so much  bngh  bngh  bngh that I think I should stop.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-