Author Topic: Buying a boat  (Read 4956 times)

Offline PHIL

Buying a boat
« on: February 10, 2008, 03:54:51 PM »
 Hey guys, I'm considering buying a used center console. How many hours is too many. I have always thought that when I buy a used boat I shouldn't buy anything older than 1 or 2 years because it will probably only have 50 to 100 hours on it and it probably won't give me any problems and still has a warranty on the motor. I want to buy a good quality boat like a Mako or something else up there but they are to expensive for me. Some saleman tell me that 250 hours on a motor is nothing. Is this true. I will buy something not as high quality to get something with less hours on it if I have to. I just don't want to take a chance of being out there and having to worry about being in something thats up there in hours. So what do you guys HONESTLY think is to many hours. Again I don't have any mechanical skills on fixing motors, and I don't want to put money into fixing something often. thanx again for answering all my questions you guys have been so helpful!

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
Re: Buying a boat
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 04:00:15 PM »
what size are you looking for?
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 04:03:50 PM »
Last year I put over 200 hours on my motor a 225 4-stroke Yamaha.  This motor was new last year.  It replaced a 2-stroke Yamaha that had over 1500 hours on it and was still running strong.  I only replaced it because I wanted the 4-stroke.

That 250 hours is not alot at all.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Sam3

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »
Where will you be primarily fishing?

I agree that 250 hours is not alot at all either.

Mako's are fine boats, but owned by Tracker now. I would look for something 19 ft and up.

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 04:26:27 PM »
I think sam is selling his boat TT^
Arty's Carpet Service.

Offline Sam3

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 05:19:40 PM »
I think sam is selling his boat TT^

Sam can't wait to get out on the water!  t^

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 05:24:03 PM »
 TT^me to bngh bngh
Arty's Carpet Service.

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 05:24:57 PM »
sam how did you guys do in AC ???
Arty's Carpet Service.

Offline TurboDan

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 05:48:04 PM »
Phil - tell us where you'll be using the boat and what kind you think you're looking for.  250 hours is definitely not high at all, and practically nothing if well maintained.  The bottom line is that this will be one of the best years to buy a used boat in a while.  It's a buyers' market, as fuel prices and the economy are causing some people to stop boating for the time being.

Granted, there isn't a ton of inventory in February because most boats are stored for the winter, but I would bet there will be a TON of boats advertised all over in the near future.  Keep checking Craigslist for Central, North and South Jersey.  Those three CL sites always have a ton of boats on there. 

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 05:50:18 PM »
Last year I put over 200 hours on my motor a 225 4-stroke Yamaha.  This motor was new last year.  It replaced a 2-stroke Yamaha that had over 1500 hours on it and was still running strong.  I only replaced it because I wanted the 4-stroke.

That 250 hours is not alot at all.
what kind of difference do you feel between the 2 and 4 stroke engine...
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 05:51:42 PM »
find  boat you like.. to save a bundle, get one 3 years old... don't worry about the hours, just bring along a mechanic with you to test everything out.  Some boats may still have a warentee on there engines..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 06:41:03 PM »
Quote from: Luna Sea 3 what kind of difference do you feel between the 2 and 4 stroke engine...
[/quote

Best move I ever made.  I get a lot better fuel milage and it is quicker at top end.  It is not as quick coming out of the hole, but that is of no concern to me.

No oil to continually add to the tank.  No smoke and it's super quiet.   t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 08:39:06 PM »
A compression test is a must for any used motor with questionable hours.  one low cylinder is prof of trouble to come. That it the single most important  large $ system you don't want to fail and takes the brunt of the deterioration of the motor due to hours used.  All cylinder should be within 7-10 lbs of each other..  The number is not as important! But them being close is. Any dealer can do a test while you watch.. it takes 10 minutes.

My current Motor was running fine with ahalf a piston, did a compression test and found a low cylinder and bingo.  saved a lot of $ fixing it before she blew.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 10:32:18 PM »
Phil, If you are serious, and you say you are not into mechanical work, I would be a good idea to set a buget, then set aside some of that for a a couple of things like a marine mechanic to check it out,do an oil test, compression test and maybe a sea trial in the spring.Maybe concider a survey.It depends on where you plan to fish (bay ,ocean)and what type of fishing you plan on doing.Concider more than the hours on the motor.
I know of some Mermaids  with a lot of hours but still have some miles left in em.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 10:54:35 PM »
NEVER buy a boat without a survey (used that is).

Offline Capt Craig

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 11:07:11 AM »
On the outboard engines today 250 hours is a drop in the bucket. There is a lot of engines still out there running like new. Its hard to say what is too many hours if they are still going. You can have the dealer hook up the computer and give it the once over. I have read articles on outboards that have 700 and 800 hours on them and are still doing what they are supposed to do, work like a champ. You should sea trial the rig before you buy it anyway.

My 2005 31 center console is for sale. Its made by Contender. Has twin Yamaha 250 four strokes on her with 3 years warranty remaining. Loaded with Raymarine electronics and other extras

I am having a 36' Calvin Beal Downeast style boat built. To be splashed in April sometime.

Offline adesai73

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 07:31:13 PM »
I'm not in the market for a boat, but I've seen two of you guys mention surveys.  Just out of curiosity, what is that?

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 04:19:14 AM »
 I picked up a 2003 Seaswirl with a 150 yamaha late summer 2007. Only had 39 hours on it.

Frank

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 05:41:52 AM »
In addition to too many hours on an outboard, also be weary of too few hours.

Outboards engines are meant to be run, not sit around while not being used. Under use of an engine is MUCH worse then an engine with a healthy amount of mileage on her.
VERY bad things happen to marine engines when they receive very little use as opposed to an engine that will get say 50-75 hours use per year in NJ.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-