Author Topic: Rigging for jigging  (Read 5280 times)

Offline cormorant

• Full Member of the Den
Rigging for jigging
« on: March 16, 2008, 10:07:46 AM »
There are a few things(a lot of things) concerning rigging that I do not know. When rigging to jig for tuna on either the basic hammered chrome jig or the butterfly, how does it go starting from your standing line....IE Palomar knot to 100# swivel to ? # leader or flouro??? to? I will be using 40# and 50# tackle. I don't like to fake it. Thanks

Offline Duffman

Re: Rigging for jigging
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 10:19:05 AM »
Depends private or headboat?

I do 95% of my tuna jigging on headboats so I stick with 40lb mono for jigging (Smoke blue Jinkai).
 Main line to a Sampo 150 lb swivel. 6 to 8 feet 60 lb test fluro. Top it off with a 10 oz hammered diamond. I replace the hook on the diamond with a Gami Siwash hook. Everything tied with Palomar knots.
  On a private boat I would switch to braid keeping everything else the same.  The jig will drop quicker, and when you hook up you wont have to worry about your line cutting through 20 others fares lines whent he tuna takes off.

Offline Mike ONeill

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:29:59 AM »
I use 40 mono, with 80lbs swivels "less drag" then tie my leader, usually a 10 to 15 foot leader. If fishing in the dark 150 leader or in the bright daylight I will fish as light as 40lb test, flooro can be realy stiff  and has at times tangled, don't waist your time untangling it, go to a new leader or mono. Day time jigging tuna is a run and shoot game. Being ready with a second rod is a must. Presention is the key to a hook up, and tuna have great eye sight Oh,the uni-knot is the best knot, even on the jig.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 09:51:55 AM »
Depends private or headboat?

I do 95% of my tuna jigging on headboats so I stick with 40lb mono for jigging (Smoke blue Jinkai).
 Main line to a Sampo 150 lb swivel. 6 to 8 feet 60 lb test fluro. Top it off with a 10 oz hammered diamond. I replace the hook on the diamond with a Gami Siwash hook. Everything tied with Palomar knots.
  On a private boat I would switch to braid keeping everything else the same.  The jig will drop quicker, and when you hook up you wont have to worry about your line cutting through 20 others fares lines whent he tuna takes off.

Who worries about that  5hrug

Offline Duffman

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 10:07:31 AM »
I do.

Offline OffTheHook13

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 10:08:47 AM »

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 11:42:34 AM »
I do.

Wuss  >:D
I fished party boats a few times for Tuna (and by far the most miserable way to fish for them).

No one seemed to care about tangling me or mugging my spot, especially mahi fishing in the AM.

Hell 1 douchebag smacked me in the head with his mahi because he was casting for them 3' behind me when I was at the rail (and didn't even apologize, even when I got in his face).

I guess that's why I don't fish party boats anymore (especially tuna).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 11:49:38 AM by mboy »

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 10:16:59 AM »
I do.

I fished party boats a few times for Tuna (and by far the most miserable way to fish for them).

No one seemed to care about tangling me or mugging my spot, especially mahi fishing in the AM.

That is exactly why if & when I do a tuna trip I much perfer doing a 6 man charter/open boat trip.

Speaking of which, anyone interested in doing a tuna trip in North Carolina around the second week in November. Cost was $225/man in 2007 so I'd anticipate a slight increase to @$250/man (tip not included). Fished this boat last May and the captain was gracious enough to allow anyone who wanted to sleep on the boat no extra charge. Not the most plushest of accomodations but was comforatable.

In speaking with the captain this past weekend at the Somerset show--late October through Thanksgiving has been outstanding for tuna the past 4 years.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 10:22:15 AM »
I might be :)

Offline Duffman

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 12:25:19 PM »
Nothing better than headboat tuna.  I like a challenge.
  Enough of hijacking the thread.
  Doc, sending a PM now.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 12:30:15 PM »
  Doc, sending a PM now.

Damn, just about anything is better then any type of headboat fishing. What a misery!

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 03:23:45 PM »
  Doc, sending a PM now.

Damn, just about anything is better then any type of headboat fishing. What a misery!

I don't know as much as I loved running and fishing from my own boat there is something to be said that at the end of the day you pick your gear & cooler and go home. No hour spent cleaning the boat, no standing in the hot sun cleaning fish etc.

I cut my teeth party boat fishing and still enjoy it to this day (well except tuna fishing on a party boat  ;D)

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 03:37:26 PM »
I agree on charter as it is nice to just get up and leave, but not so much on a party boat.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 05:29:53 PM »
I will continue to cleam my boat and fish after the trip.  I refuse to jump on a party boat in the summer with all the tourists and guys who get on the boat with a cooler of beer heavier than all the fishing tackle on the boat.

But that's just me.   TT^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-