Author Topic: The surf's heating up!!!!!  (Read 2995 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
The surf's heating up!!!!!
« on: May 01, 2008, 01:07:31 AM »
Hi All,

I have been fishing the surf pretty regularly for a couple of weeks now and have to say it is getting very interesting.  I am amazed at the amount of fish being caught almost on a regular basis.

I have seen and caught more fish this year at the beginning of the season than I have ever caught.  Has any one had the same experience?

So far I have seen and not hearsay, fluke, sea bass, black fish, blues, stripers, and weak fish being caught in and around IBSP.  Like I said before this should be a good year.

It is great getting out and trying sew lures and seeing them actually work as advertised.  I can't wait for the warmer weather to heat things up both temp. wise and fish wise.

I have been trying a couple of new areas out this year in IBSP one not so new, back where the old bulkhead use to be as well as A21.  I have had luck in the flats but I have not fished A21 very much.  I have some new flies I tied over the winter that I am looking forward to trying back there.

I have heard that A15 is also very good especially for wading and fly fishing or using light plugs.  I might have to give that a try as well.

Plus I have heard that it is accessible to drive back there and park a very limited amount of veh.'s.  it should be interesting.

I also have heard that the rips and cuts over the winter have been almost non existent.  This was true till today.  I noticed that there are a lot more cuts along the southern areas so don't be shy do your homework and start to filter down as it is looking better and better.

The water is looking really clean with very little grass in the suds.  That is good because I hate grass sails tagging my line. 

I hope this is somewhat helpful as I know this year will be a trying time just to get out with the price of gas rising and the threat of increased tolls.

If you have any good areas to share please do so and check out "Conditions from IBSP" as well as "From the Suds".  I will be giving reports as I have them.

Remember support your local Bait & Tackle shop.  You treat them good they will reciprocate in many ways one is giving you good advise.  Priceless...

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
Re: The surf's heating up!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 01:47:29 AM »
Paul,Nice to read your reports,makes me feel like Im on the beach instead of WORK.Thanks,AJ

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 08:07:51 AM »
great report
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:06:13 AM »
Nice report Paul did you try the plugs you won at the party if so let me know how they worked.

PS do the out of towner's support those local bait and tackle shops  rofla  rofla  ;D
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline wimpy

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »
Anyone been down around Surf City 14th st--to 17th???

Offline njdevil

• Skip work and fish.
  • Boat Name NJDEVIL
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 11:38:05 AM »
Anything heating up on the Sandy Hook Surf? 5hrug

NJDEVIL >:D
A good friend will bail you out of jail, a true friend will be sitting along side of you and say " Man that was fun"

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 12:01:38 PM »
Hey Uncle Luna, not as many as you would think.  Thanks to the large Mart stores.  Most of the out of towner's don't even give them a second thought.  If its not on the board walk they are oblivious that they are even there.

As for crabbing most just go to the food store to pick up some chicken parts and string.  I live in Toms River and a large chunk of our budget is for the road upkeep that brings them over to Seaside Heights and the Park.  They just fly right through.

There are just two full time B&T's over there the others have to sell and rent beach stuff to make a living.

As far as Sandy Hook goes I have not been up that way so I am not sure.  I would have to say it is the same as here where it is just starting to heat up.  Nothing big yet but we are getting there.  The catch days are about equal to the skunk days.  This is a good thing.

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Diego Dangers.

• 172 Heavy!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 06:46:17 PM »
thanks paul for the heads up, i think i know where we'll be heading this sunday after work!

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 11:24:32 PM »
Good Luck Diego... TT^

Remember to post good or bad.  It is all helpful.

If you are going to the Hook, you might want to cover all your bases and use a hi low rig.  This will get the second hook a little off the bottom a little.

I like fishing this type of rig this time of year plus fish with two full rigs, one with clams and the other with artificials something like a plug or metal lure (small though) and a teaser up about 18" or so.

Again good luck

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 10:49:46 PM »
Hey Paul your right sometimes I pick up the squid at shoprite myself it is cheaper than the bait store at the marina, also heard that the Chinese fish market has some nice big squids going to check them also as soon as fluke season starts.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 11:12:19 PM »
The guys here turned me onto the Chinese market squid last year. Some decent stuff at a good price. Beats the baits shops by a mile.  t^
I got squid from several bait shops last year and was not happy with the quality.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 11:30:49 PM »
Thanks Joe. Nick mentioned it to me last year I have 2 markets near me in Hazlet will give them a try
Member Team Luna Sea 4

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-