Author Topic: NY Harbor and Raritan  (Read 2084 times)

Offline jlavine

• Full Member of the Den
NY Harbor and Raritan
« on: May 23, 2008, 10:00:01 PM »
Hi there!  New to the forum and new to the area!  I'm planning on lauching for the first time in NJ tomorrow at Liberty State Park (it's closest to my house). 

Does anyone have any recommendations on areas/regions/bridges to fish around there.  And even more important, are there any dangerous areas I should know of?

Thanks!
Jeff

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: NY Harbor and Raritan
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 10:03:44 PM »
nice of you to join us here.  I am not familiar with that area, but I am sure others will chime in to help you.  Enjoy your stay, we have a great fishing community here. Thanks for joining.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 10:05:01 PM »
What kind of boat and what fishing for?

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 10:10:16 PM »
Welcome. Sent you a PM.

Some good ares for Stripers this time of year are buoy 31 near the Statue, around the Ellis Island footbridge, Robbins Reef, Bayridge Flats.

Also cast swimming plugs around the broken down docks.

Only thing to worry about is Hells gate which is up the east river.

Also watch for tug boat wakes. Those things throw a lot of water!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:13:01 PM by bassnblues »

Offline jlavine

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 11:40:34 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.  Keep them coming!  I would also love any tips on fishing the area for stripers and blues.  I have a 16ft wellcraft bay boat w/ 50hp.

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 11:58:25 PM »
 whs

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 03:52:30 AM »
Thanks for all the responses.  Keep them coming!  I would also love any tips on fishing the area for stripers and blues.  I have a 16ft wellcraft bay boat w/ 50hp.

Are you the guy I spoke to in Keyport on Thursday?

Offline bayonne

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 02:18:08 PM »
welcome to the site as metioned robins reef is one of the best spots but its usaly a low tide bite if you know were caven point pier was theirs a channel marker that was off the end of the pier theirs a sand bar next to the channel the bass and blues realy bunch up on it at times were you live cause if your in bayonne its only $25 a season liberty state park is closer to $200 now but its residents only and its a short run around to robins reef and the varenzano

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 09:49:10 PM »
The yearly pass for Liberty is also good at Leonardo so it's a good deal if you want to fish sandy hook too.

Offline GregB

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 08:17:41 PM »
Hi, I have the park pass and its 150.00 per year which lets u launch at Liberty and Leonardo. Liberty is great but launch closes at 10pm. Leonardo is 24hrs,but is a bitch at low tide. A roller trailer is a must there. At Liberty, there is a channel that runs out to the harbor. Lately one of the red bouys is out of place. When u run out towards the harbor the channel is about 30 feet wide off the rocks. Stay in it cause the water is low on both sides. When you get to liberty island, DONT cut the channel and run out to the harbor there is alot of obstructions that will mess up your prop. I stay in it till I pass liberty then the whole harbor is ok. Also, watch for mooring bouys near the statue. They are unlit at night and are low in the water.Liberty is great for me, I live in Lyndhurst and its 20 min away. Faster to the hook and less trafic by water. East river is good fishing by UN building for bass on jigs.Just inside 31 can is great too(as mentioned above). Ill see u out there,23 proline walk."The fourth Dependent"Black and white hull with hardtop.
"The Fourth Dependent"

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-