Author Topic: Online purchasing  (Read 2139 times)

Offline gbBeginner

• Full Member of the Den
    • Hypersonicscream - Custom software and website development
Online purchasing
« on: May 30, 2008, 01:25:46 PM »
Hi,

I'm trying to find out if there are any websites recommended that are good and reliable for buying equipment through, mainly lures, line etc.  My experience with computers tells me everything is cheaper online, but I'm not sure if they same follows with fishing!

I'm trying to fish down near the old hospital in Point Pleasant, we were down there Monday, wasn't a successful trip for me, but was for the mother in law she caught 2 snappers and the nice guys down there gave her a couple more! She's been out buying some lures this week, Acme Kastmaster, Caesars and Hopkins No=EQL, we're off again today, hopefully a little more successful this time.  Any pointers?

Offline wink_man

Re: Online purchasing
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 03:54:27 PM »
The blues are there, and have been there for a while now, 2 to 4 pound fish. Any of the metals you mentioned will work, so will plastic shad if you like to do it the expensive way.

Guys were catching them there early this morning, they tend to run up and down the river, but are in the canal entrance a lot.

I was down there at dusk last night, blues breaking the water all over at the canal entrance.

As far as buying online, I'm sure you could find deals, I prefer to use the local bait shops and the fishing show/flea markets, they are a great source of information, and I wouldn't want to see them go out of business.

Whatever metal you're using, if they have tails, stick with green tails, lots of spearing and rainfish in the canal there. My son and his friend were fishing there the other night with ava 17's, one with a red tail, the other with a green tail, the green tail caught all the fish.

Garry
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 11:23:07 PM by wink_man »

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 05:36:13 PM »

As far as buying online, I'm sure you could find deals, I prefer to use the local bait shops and the fishing show/flea markets, they are a great source of information, and I wouldn't want to see them go out of business.

whs It's ok to buy on line but I feel you should also hit the shops. They will give you advise, help you with problems with items and most will tell you what not to waste your money on. Most times the shops might be a little higher, but they are not selling you stuff from the basement. The store has overhead and needs to make money just like everyone else. Most time a store can not buy something as low as the major stores, but try to get some advise on witch rod or reel to buy for what you are going to use it for from Walmart.I am not saying not to go to Walmart, but keep the little guys in mind.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 06:19:02 PM »
The guys at the big box stores, Walmart and such, usually can't tell you what an item is used for let alone how to use it.
The larger sporting good store are better for their knowledge and the mom and pops are even better for their local knowledge.
Make sure you figure in the shipping cost when you buy online. Sometimes that offsets any savings you may have. Plus you have to wait days for your item to arrive. Buy local and you can use it immediately.  t^
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:07:37 PM by IrishAyes »
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 10:00:30 PM »
srmo.com
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 01:22:58 AM »
SRMO is my choice plus I also make it a point to hit the B&T's for that reason.  If you frequent different shops they get to know you and are willing to give you precise information as opposed to just the general advise.

Yeah you might pay a little more but the free info is priceless and could save the day.

I also make it a point to call the shops and ask if there are any changes during the day and sometimes I get a call telling me about a blitz here or there.  Something Wal Mart won't or can't come close to doing.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline gbBeginner

• Full Member of the Den
    • Hypersonicscream - Custom software and website development
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 12:37:29 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice.  I can certainly see the benefit in visiting the local B&T rather than going online, and as soon as I'm able to drive I'm sure I'll visit more, and get used to asking a few questions. 

Last night, we were down on the beach at the old hospital from 4pm until 7(ish), I caught 2 good sized blues, that was it.  I was using a diamond jig with a green tail.  There was a guy there using (?) a crocodile (?), he was pulling them out for fun at one point! He was casting much further than I could.  Was great fun, and my first 2 of the year.

Thanks

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 12:39:25 PM »
Good job GB! Keep at it and a striped one will jump on your rig too.  t^ Just need to be patient.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-