Author Topic: Rod and reel for boat  (Read 4621 times)

Offline bytheshore8

• Full Member of the Den
Rod and reel for boat
« on: June 09, 2008, 11:19:25 AM »
I am looking to purchase a rod and reel that can be used for both jigging for blues and stripers as well as trolling for stripers.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
Re: Rod and reel for boat
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:51:42 AM »
I use shimano baitrunner 4500 and ugly stick tiger 1 piece med-heavy for most of my fishing. I even troll Mann stretches with them. They are pretty cheap and hold up very well.  I just can't see myself spending big bucks on those high end name brands.  JMO   I'm sure these guys will recommend all sorts of stuff.
Keith
Franklin, N.J.
Proud member of the I.B.E.W. local 827

MAKO 250wa twin 150 E-tecs
  Happily fishing out of Atlantic Highlands Municiple Marina.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 12:39:48 PM »
Here ya go:

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=6513.0

I wouldn't really reco a spinning for trolling. I realy only use them for casting (and very infrequently at that).

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 01:09:19 PM »
First Welcome Aboard bytheshore8.

You will be getting many suggestions on what to use so be ready for them.  It will come down to you to make the final decision as you know what you can spend.  My only suggestion would be to try other members outfits and maybe the process will be easier.  Remember you will be fishing with the new outfitfor a number of hours at a clip so make sure it feels comfortable.

If you meet up with any number of guys on the site they probably would not hesitate to let you try out one of their rigs.

Unfortunately I an strictly surf so that won't help you out.

Good Luck and again welcome to the site.

Happy Catching

Paul

IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 02:13:08 PM »
Are you looking for 1 set-up that you can both jig & troll with or one rod for jigging and another rod for trolling?

Offline bytheshore8

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 02:21:01 PM »
I would prefer 1 set-up to be used for both.

Are you looking for 1 set-up that you can both jig & troll with or one rod for jigging and another rod for trolling?

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 03:49:40 PM »
I would prefer 1 set-up to be used for both.

That might be a little tough as each technique (jigging & trolling) require a different type of rod action.

I can't think of a rod that would be able to do both other than a maybe Seeker BA-85. Maybe another member can help.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 07:13:58 PM »
Welcome to the site..

We'll get this worked out.

I do think the baitrunner 4500 id a tad large.  I'm a 3500 Guy t^

Offline bytheshore8

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 07:35:27 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am a newbie so I guess I could use more info on just jigging equipment for now.

I mainly fish for fluke and use a abu-garcia 5500c3 with a star nickleite series 7' rod.

I would like to do more jigging this season for stripers though.

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 08:18:20 PM »
Welcome to the site..

We'll get this worked out.

I do think the baitrunner 4500 id a tad large.  I'm a 3500 Guy t^

The 4500 IS a bit large, but I like to think big. ;D ;D   BIG REEL, BIG FISH!!!! Seriously the 4500 is a great all around reel for me. I haven't got into the conventional thing yet. It works for snagging bunker to live lining to clamming with a fishfinder rig. And lke I said I have also trolled manns with it. it handles 10-12lb blues no problem.  I like peds idea. Try out some set ups befor you decide.
Keith
Franklin, N.J.

Offline mgm

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 08:29:34 PM »
When jigging for stripers, sometimes you need a fast retrieve....certainly for blues fast retrieves work the best.

Having said that, a larger spinning reel with a high retrieve ratio gets the jig moving faster than a smaller reel.  Shimano Baitrunner in the larger sizes would be my choice; and its great for live lining or chunking bass.
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 08:43:27 PM »
If going spinning (which I wouldn't and don't), there is no reason to go above a bait runner 3500. That is a pretty big reel.

That being said, once again, spinning is a VERY poor choice for trolling and a not so great choice for jigging from a boat as well.

Their is a reason most don't use it for either.
VERY few people I know use it for either. Only the couple of people who have posted here actually.

I never met or fished with anyone who use a spinning rod to jig or troll from a boat.

Offline bytheshore8

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 09:08:19 PM »
I am not looking to go spinning.  I have never seen them used for jigging or trolling either.

I already have a Penn 704Z for surf fishing and a decent spinner for live lining bunker. 

I like my abu-garcia....Is there a particular model that would be good?

If going spinning (which I wouldn't and don't), there is no reason to go above a bait runner 3500. That is a pretty big reel.

That being said, once again, spinning is a VERY poor choice for trolling and a not so great choice for jigging from a boat as well.

VERY few people I know use it for either. Only the couple of people who have posted here actually.

I never met or fished with anyone who use a spinning rod to jig or troll from a boat.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 09:14:01 PM »
Abu 7000 would be a nice choice for rell if you like ABu.

Cast very well, solid for jigging and I have used it to troll on many many many occasions. I have one going on 25 years old. Have done just about everything with it- Jigged bass and blues, deep drop fluke 100' water w/braid, trolled, casted plugs & spoons and chunked bluefish.

Just got it back from being serviced and have to spool it up again.
Thanks for reminding me.

Nice star drag all around reel w/ plenty of capacity whether you go mono or braid.

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 09:16:40 PM »

This is the first time I have disagreed with anyone one this site.....Please remember that this is just my opinion.

I tivo tons of shows and I can telll you that half of the guys fishing on tv are using baitrunners for everything from roostertail to blues in the Keys to big yellowtail in mexico. Bonitas and even smaller yellowtails...  I have seen 100lb tarpon on the 4500 being reeled in with no problem.      
   spinning reels are the way to jig imo and most other fishing also.  

Conventional reels are great for trolling and for deep sea fishing. And the smaller ones are great for fluke and sea bass. And I do know tons of people who fish with them for bass and blues and such..

BUT most people I know use spinning reel setups. I think it is an opinionated thing...What do you feel comfortable with??? I feel good with a big spinning reel. Fast retrieve, no tangles and birds nests and easyier to cast...
Keith
Franklin, N.J.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 09:19:43 PM »
I watch those shows too and most guys on TV are not jigging or trolling with spinning rods.

You may prefer them, but you can't tell most of them are using spinning rods to do that kind of fishing on TV.

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 09:37:12 PM »
Tough question to answer in a short spot.
Welcome to the site,and you mention you wanted this set up for a boat.You mentioned you love the Abu 5500c.You can work your blues and bass with it if its matched to a mod.action 7-8 ft rod.But I would not suggest you troll with that set up;stick to jigging, baiting ,bucktail.
To troll you have to determine if it braid, wire, or something else your using and what depth you need to go so you can deternmine the reel.Visit all the tackle and Mart stores,there is plenty of stuff around to fit the budget.Good Luck.                   AJ.

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 09:39:35 PM »
IMHO, spinning rods/reels are not designed ofr trolling, you can get by jigging with them but using a conventional rod/reel is what I prefer for my jigging. With the only exceptions being when I'm using light bucktails/leadhead-soft plastic tail (2 ounces or less) for fluke/weakfish, throwing Storm shads or throwing small metals for albies.

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 09:42:06 PM »
IMHO, spinning rods/reels are not designed ofr trolling, you can get by jigging with them but using a conventional rod/reel is what I prefer for my jigging. With the only exceptions being when I'm using light bucktails/leadhead-soft plastic tail (2 ounces or less) for fluke/weakfish, throwing Storm shads or throwing small metals for albies.

My thoughts exactly. I do like to use my freshwater class spin to light bucktail fluke, but that's about it. Otherwise strictly casting duty or for my wife and/or son to use when fishing.

Glad my old man busted my chops when I was a kid and used to use spinning all the time. Made me use conventional and am much happier.
Def put more pressure on the fish and much more versatile setup.

Offline bytheshore8

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 09:53:30 PM »
You mentioned you love the Abu 5500c.You can work your blues and bass with it if its matched to a mod.action 7-8 ft rod.But I would not suggest you troll with that set up;stick to jigging, baiting ,bucktail.
To troll you have to determine if it braid, wire, or something else your using and what depth you need to go so you can deternmine the reel.

I am not that experienced to love it...but I like it so far....I think the rod is to small for jigging. 

I have trolled wire with a friend and am not a big fan of reeling in 300 to 4oo feet of wire.
Don't care for braid either.  I read somewhere that you can use mono and use planers and rubber bands to get at the proper depth.  This is what I would be interested in for trolling but have no idea what planers are. 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-