Author Topic: Smallest boat for canyons  (Read 15601 times)

Offline captmoose

Re: Smallest boat for canyons
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 11:34:55 AM »
This really is a loaded question.  I grew up working charter boats out of Cape May, including canyon trips.  I also have my captains license and sailed on ocean going cargo ships so I've seen quite a bit from small boats to large ships. 

The main consideration should be safety and seaworthiness.  If you have some friends with boats about the size you are considering, ask them to take you outside on a snotty day.  When you are running offshore, you have to pick your days carefully around the weather and then watch it when you are out there.  We've had to head home into some real nasty 8-10' swells when some weather kicked up. 

Whatever boat you choose should be able to stand up to any foreseeable weather that can kick up over the course of the day.  You may be able to run out in good weather at 25-30 knots in just  2-3 hours, but if you have to put your bow into large waves that kicked up during the day, you will most likely have to run slower which takes longer and if the weather is building, it only gets worse as time passes.   

It's not only about comfort, fishability, and endurance, the boat has to safely run in whatever the weather can produce while you're out there.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 02:10:33 PM »
Good advise and welcome to the site I posted to your thread and forgot to say hi.  Sorry for the oversight.

It sounds like you will settle in nicely here Welcome Aboard.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Byzandula

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 11:42:04 AM »
I just returned from a trip to Alaska where we went out (out of Seward) in my brother-in-law's 24' Hewescraft Alaskan with dual Yamaha 115's.

Each of the 3 days we went out, it handled well in the 2'-4' seas. We ended up catching about 7 different species of fish including silver salmon, black bass (and other rockfish), ling cod, and halibut. I brought back a bunch of meat. It was a fantastic trip and I highly recommend a visit if you have never been there. This trip pretty much solidified the fact that at some point I will be buying a boat. I loved the enclosed cabin up front when it was raining, but it was pretty hard on the back while underway as there is a lot of pounding sitting that far forward. I'm leaning toward a center console or walk-around with an outboard engine (+ trolling motor) at this point, but still have a lot of research to do. I appreciate all of the friendly advice!

D

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 11:47:12 AM »
I just returned from a trip to Alaska where we went out (out of Seward) in my brother-in-law's 24' Hewescraft Alaskan with dual Yamaha 115's.

Each of the 3 days we went out, it handled well in the 2'-4' seas. We ended up catching about 7 different species of fish including silver salmon, black bass (and other rockfish), ling cod, and halibut. I brought back a bunch of meat. It was a fantastic trip and I highly recommend a visit if you have never been there. This trip pretty much solidified the fact that at some point I will be buying a boat. I loved the enclosed cabin up front when it was raining, but it was pretty hard on the back while underway as there is a lot of pounding sitting that far forward. I'm leaning toward a center console or walk-around with an outboard engine (+ trolling motor) at this point, but still have a lot of research to do. I appreciate all of the friendly advice!

D

Welcome to the site.

Wow that is a very cool looking boat !

Inquiring minds wanna know  ;)

How wide is the Beam ?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 11:53:12 AM by Art Berkman »

Offline Byzandula

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 12:08:47 PM »
It is a very nice boat. Aluminum is great in Alaska as they have a ton of rocks out there.

Alaskan
Boat Model    Length    Beam    Inside Depth    Deadrise Forward    Deadrise Amidships    Deadrise Aft
240 AK           23' 1"    102"       30"                    42°                             25°                                 15°
260 AK           25' 7"    102"       30"                    42°                             25°                                 15°
Boat Model    Bottom Gauge    Bottom Width    Side Gauge    Side Height    Aft Deck Livewell/ Fishbox    Transom Livewell/ Fishbox
240 AK    .190"    84"    .125"    36"    NA / 51 gal    26 / 47 gal
260 AK    .250"    84"    .125"    36"    NA / 51 gal    26 / 47 gal
Boat Model    Person Wt. Capacity    Person Capacity    Max Wt. Capacity    Max Prop HP.    Actual Weight
240AK    1725 lbs.    12    2850 lbs.    300    3100 lbs.
260 AK    1738 lbs.    13    2928 lbs.    450    3700 lbs.

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 02:26:26 PM »
Thx for posting the specs  t^

Offline rossg

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 10:58:28 PM »
Going to the Canyon is very serious.I have a 28 Grady with twins and would not think of going in anything less then 40ft
Fighting Tuna,being up for 24 hours,weather that happens when it isnt supposed to is alot to contend with
Stay inshore,plenty of big fish and lots of adventure to contend with
Ross G
The Lady J
Belmar

Offline PHIL

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 03:02:43 PM »
I have a friend that runs his wellcraft also made by the same company as hydrasports. (genmar) 28ft. out to the hudson canyon twice a month. First thing is definetly make sure you have enough fuel and where your sweet spot is. Second but just as important TWO engines. EPIRB,or SPOT. it ain't no joke out there bro. help even with EPIRB could still take a few hours to get to you. We saw it last week with that 80ft. boat that capsized 50 miles off of atlantic city. Epirb was activated and it still took 3 hours to get to them. Have fun but do the right thing. Safety ALWAYS first. slt

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 03:08:34 PM »
Going to the Canyon is very serious.I have a 28 Grady with twins and would not think of going in anything less then 40ft
Fighting Tuna,being up for 24 hours,weather that happens when it isnt supposed to is alot to contend with
Stay inshore,plenty of big fish and lots of adventure to contend with
Ross G
The Lady J
Belmar
whs
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline dikdanger

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 03:06:09 PM »

D

TOO COOL... I'd take on the Perfect Storm in that thing....

I would love to have an interceptor... I would roll it like in the Coast Gaurd videos... get some 5pt harnesses on my seats... woohooo
Fishey Fishey in the bay... Come and bite my Hook TODAY !!!

Offline Byzandula

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2008, 02:16:41 PM »
Are there many aluminum boats on the east coast? They seem to be pretty popular in the northwest. I don't see many dealers of these types of craft in the area. I guess the nearest comparison to these guys would be the parker pilot house boats. Riding that far forward definitely beat you up a little, but being able to come in out of the elements is a very nice feature particularly if you have ladies on board.

Any thoughts on aluminum?

Offline dikdanger

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 02:49:58 PM »

Any thoughts on aluminum?

yeah... its great to take to a scrap yard for beer money chrz
Fishey Fishey in the bay... Come and bite my Hook TODAY !!!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-