Author Topic: keeping spot  (Read 5328 times)

Offline DAK

keeping spot
« on: July 23, 2008, 12:55:15 PM »
I fish out of a yak, and don't have a live well or aerator. Would I be able to keep spot alive in a 1 gal bait bucket? They would be out of the water (with water in the bucket of course) for maybe up to 1hr if I have to paddle to a distant location, but the rest of the time I would keep them over the side of the yak. Would they survive this kind of treatment? Thanks for any info.

dak
This boy is about as sharp as a sack of wet mice...

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
Re: keeping spot
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
I caught them in Ocean City, MD and put them in the live well overnight, all dead in the AM.
The next day I put them in a bait bucket over the side of the boat, next day all dead. They would only come in at night. I could net all I wanted, but could not keep them to the next day.
 5hrug
I don't know if the water was to warm, even thou I left the live well on all night.
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 01:29:20 PM »
I fish out of a yak, and don't have a live well or aerator. Would I be able to keep spot alive in a 1 gal bait bucket? They would be out of the water (with water in the bucket of course) for maybe up to 1hr if I have to paddle to a distant location, but the rest of the time I would keep them over the side of the yak. Would they survive this kind of treatment? Thanks for any info.

dak

Most bait fish will die if left in a bucket of water as they use up all the oxygen in the water.  I'm not sure  but maybe someone else here knows better.  but iv'e heard a people keeping them on ice on top of wet newspaper for long periods of time.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 01:55:10 PM »
The wet newspaper on ice works for killies. Don't know if it will work for spot.

Would a 5 gallon pail with many holes drilled in it be large enough for the amount of spot you would want to take? If so, you can perhaps hang it over the side and tow it along when you are making your move. I don't think you will get the yak going fast enough to bother the fish any.
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline DAK

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 02:15:11 PM »
I fish out of a sit-in yak so I really only have room for one of those plastic 1 gal buckets folks use for killies.

I'm gonna give it a try next time out - get 5 or 6 spot, and keep them over the side as much as possible so hopfully enough water exchanges through the holes in the lid. I hear the recent low temps have picked up the striper bite around AC inlet...

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 12:58:42 AM »
What about pulling a small bait bucket you tether to your yak but keep in the water.  They have them with spring loaded doors.  This way the bait is in the water all the time gaining oxygen all the time.

Something like this by Plano:

http://www.fishingtrail.com/store.php/fishingtrail/pd1445043

Paul
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:07:33 AM by ped579 »
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline DAK

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 09:47:10 AM »
What about pulling a small bait bucket you tether to your yak but keep in the water.  They have them with spring loaded doors.  This way the bait is in the water all the time gaining oxygen all the time.

Something like this by Plano:

http://www.fishingtrail.com/store.php/fishingtrail/pd1445043

Paul

Not a bad idea...alot more streamlined than the bucket I have now.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 12:19:07 PM »
This will be your best bet and insure a constant flow a fresh water?  as long as it's not packed.  Use a bungee to give it a little spring so you don't feel it as much in the yak while underway.

Offline surfrocket

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 06:50:55 PM »
you can get battery opperated airraters cheep for using in transport before you get in the water. they are small, ice is important with the airrater.

Offline mgm

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 10:12:03 PM »
I watched a show on the NJ Angler where they were using live spots for stripers....they showed the purchase at a bait shop where they had them in their aerated tank...so it seems that lots of circulation and oxygen is the key to keeping them healthy...they moved them to their live well...the show is still on line...under TV show..last season titled "Spot Burning"

http://www.njangler.com/
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 11:47:47 PM »
Thanks for the link...some interesting shows on there.  Another way to waste time on the Internet...HAHAHA

TT^

Offline sea nymph

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 10:37:55 PM »
Spot need lots of oxygen!  If kept in the same tank with minnows / killies, they will die.  If you keep a 1/2 dozen or so they should survive in a bucket for an hour but not much longer.  Even a bucket aerator may not be enough to keep them long term!  Good Luck!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-