Author Topic: south jersey fishing report  (Read 5720 times)

Offline dapbmw

• Full Member of the Den
south jersey fishing report
« on: July 24, 2008, 04:39:04 PM »
i was in south jersey on holidays last week and i fished for a few days and this is my report.

i started tuesday morning in a pond close to mays landing, saw a big fish swimming so i threw my bait (rapala original) and the fish took it and i pulled her in, it was a small muskie about 2-3 lbs.

wednesday afternoon, my family and i went to ocean city-longport bridge fishing pier, fished for about 3 hours with artificial lures (fin s, steel heads and gulp minnows) no bites just seaweed. a few guys were catching tog on shredder crabs, some small saw two keepers in a guys bucket.

saturday morning me and my eldest son (20yo) who is fishing for the first time went to margate to go on the fish-o-fun party boat on the back bays of the inlet for 4 hours, caught a few flatties , my son got one 19" 2lbs 12oz keeper and shorts mostly in the 16-17" range. i ended up catching a 3 pound blue fish. my son caught more fish than i did (6 for him, 4 for me). so he has beginners luck i guess. all the fish were caught on mackerel chunks, squid strips and minnows. i like the convenience of going on a party boat as they go to the known good fishing spots, provide you with bait and clean the fish for you too. you don't even have to bring a rod with you as you can rent one for $5.00. the 4 hr trip cost $25 per person.

saturday evening, my kids and my wife wanted to go fishing, so we checked out the edward j. klinger fishing pier just off somers point. btw this about 2 miles away from the oc-longport fishing pier. no fish just sea weed, tried mackerel chunks and fin s not even a single bite fished there for two hours.

sunday morning, my buddy bobby invited me and my family to go fishing on the lower bank bridge where the mullica river is, caught a few white perch, catfish and about blue crabs all in a span of two hours, it was so hot and humid so i had to leave early and cool off in the house. i went back to toronto, canada last monday.

i was gonna hook up with garry "wink man" or seanr8, but did not have the chance to. maybe this x-mas time? btw what fish do you catch on x-mas time?

cheers,
dave

« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 05:54:50 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: south jersey fishing report
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 04:44:19 PM »
Nice week of fishing!!

TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 05:41:27 PM »
Nice report Dave,
Sounds like you had a fun trip. Lotsa fishing trips in there. And some catching to go along with it.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline wink_man

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 05:48:45 PM »
Dave,
     Nice report, and sounds like a nice vacation fishing wise, a nice variety of salt and freshwater fish. And you are correct, party boats are the way to go for a vacationer, the captains are aware daily where the fish are, and they will get you on fish.

If it's warm in December, I might fish, LOL, but if it's even remotely cold, my fingers can't take it. Usually I'm deer hunting in December, but we'll see what happens.

Garry

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 08:32:12 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 08:38:20 PM »
Nice Fish Dude!!.

I fixed your pics up for yu t^

Offline brickken

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 11:05:18 PM »
Nice report Dave! Don't ya hate it when the youngsters outfish you... :'(
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 11:25:09 PM »
I love it when that happens... ;D grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 03:45:03 AM »
Glad to see ya had a good time, and sorry to not have had the chance to hook up with ya for some fishin. I am killin myself at work these days and have not had the time to get out there anywhere near as often as I would like to, but maybe this x-mas will have something good for us! Sure is cold though at Christmas time!!!
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline dapbmw

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 04:44:04 PM »
Nice report Dave! Don't ya hate it when the youngsters outfish you... :'(

yeah i know. what's even funnier is my youngest son joshua who is 11 outfished all of us. we all went fishing yesterday at lake scugog, it was joshua's and chris' first time too and they both did not even want to go fishing at first, but when i set up their rods and put worms in the hooks, on the first cast they got a bluegill and they were all smiles and jumping and shouting "daddy i caught a fish!" that was priceless for me, now he was hooked to it and i did not even had the chance to fish as i was busy replenishing my 3 sons hooks with worms.

all in all josh caught 10 fish, chris caught 7, and the eldest angelo caught 6, me a big zero as i never had the chance to setup my rod this was okay with me as i was happy and satisfied that my sons took up interest in fishing, btw not all kids nowadays want to go fishing, they rather play video games or surf the internet.

i also taught them that you fish for fun and if possible do the catch and release thing so that future generations will have fish to catch.

i told them too that once in awhile it is okay to take home fish to eat as long as it is within the allowable size and catch regulations of the area you are fishing and if a license is needed for fishing in that area (freshwater) then you should get one, my eldest son and i have freshwater fishing licences for both nj and ontario as they have conservation officers here on the prowl all the time when fishing season begins. i think here it is 16 and over you need a license to fish.

i just got back from work now and now they are asking me if we can fish today.

at leas now i am not alone when i go out fishing and when i watch the world fishing network on tv.

cheers,
dave

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 05:36:04 PM »
Nice Dave. Fishing is a great activity for the young ones. You are right in the fact that the kids today only want to play video games and surf the internet.  Such a waste of time.

Nice to teach them the catch and release also. Taking some for the dinner table is great, just so it is eaten and it does not go to waste.

Keep your reports coming. Nice to see what others are catching in other areas.  t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 06:12:05 PM »
Dave...that is great!  One of those "priceless" commercials only much more personal.  It is great to go fishing and even better to take someone else fishing and teach them how to do it.  My son is still very young, but he asks every day to go fishing already.  Of course when he fishes it is only for 5-10 minutes, but that is expected at 23 months.  I can't wait until he can work the pole all by himself!  He is even just happy going to the lake, dock, pier, or Inlet and walking around and watching other people.

It is SO TRUE that kids would rather watch TV, play video games or surf the internet instead of going out and doing anything else.  I have a much younger brother-in-law who just could careless to go fishing!?  Not because he doesn't like it, but because he doesn't like doing anything not related to the aforementioned distractions.  It is sad.  No creativity, no imagination, no physical activity...just TV, Video Games and Internet in no particular order.  The few times he went fishing...well he won't bait hooks b/c worms and fish are GROSS and if he doesn't catch something in 10 minutes he wants to go home!  ???  5hrug

TT^

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 08:57:11 PM »
Sounds like a great family vacation.  We did a lot of fishing when I was a kid, most of the memories faded away over time though.  They're all starting to come back to me now that I've gotten back into it.  So if nothing else, getting back into fishing is bringing back priceless family memories.  Can't beat that.

Did the guy with 7090 posts on this internet forum just refer to the internet as a waste of time?  Kinda ironic.   ;)

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 09:04:49 PM »
Yes, that's me. Ironic Joe. Waste of time when all you are doing is the internet thing. I do post alot, for sure, but the internet is not my one and only distraction. I stay logged on so I also have many days on line listed.

But, I will be out fishing at least four days a week, eight or more hours a day. And I participate in other activities. The internet (actually, mostly ONLY this site) is a distraction for me when I am NOT fishing or doing my other activities. It is NOT my sole activity, as with the kids. That was my point.

Besides, it doesn't take long for your post count to go up on this site. Not with all the decent people that there are here.

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 09:08:36 PM »
Tell em Joe
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 01:50:01 PM »
Hey what do you want from a retired police officer, this takes the place of looking for donut shops...Sorry Joe I had to do it... rofla rofla hhppy hhppy chrz
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 08:35:55 PM »
Hey Paul, Be careful now, don't forget..."I've got high friends in low places...or is that " Low friends in high places?"  ;D

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 09:35:44 PM »
As long as they bring good coffee with the donuts they are fine by me... rofla
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-