Author Topic: Boating Rules  (Read 4128 times)

Offline ilyawizard

Boating Rules
« on: July 30, 2008, 02:40:42 PM »
Hello everyone here,

I'm a real newbie here and boating rules. I read couple of posts here and other forums but still confused. I bought an old used boat with 140HP engine (about 20' long). My first question is where I can use it (lakes, offshore?). And my second question is what do I need to operate it. I know I need Boating Safety Certificate and license for non-tidal waters. But what about going offshore? What documents and/or certificates I need for that? Can I even go to the open ocean on that boat?

Any information, direction, links would be much appreciated,

Thanks,
Ilya

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Boating Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 02:45:58 PM »
You can go anywhere with it.. First, take your safty course.  Then, use the boat with someone who knows what they are doing.  Go out with them a few times to learn the ropes.  Once you feel comfortable, then go on your own.  All you need is your certificate and your good to go.  You will know what to bring on the boat as far as safty things, life vests, etc.. when you in the class
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 02:46:37 PM »
and I almost forgot.. WELCOME to the site.. we will help guide you in the right direction

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 02:52:15 PM »
 whs and welcome
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline ilyawizard

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 02:57:34 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I guess Safety class is all I need. I have a friend who can guide me through operation of the boat. Looks like I'm set.

Any tips on taking the class? Should I prepare in advance? I've seen on the site it takes only two days to take the class.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 03:02:15 PM »
I took the opt out option, which is just the test.. You should take the entire class..  Click this link.  This is the study test.  If you pass this, you will pass the real test.  It is the same.

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/course/boating/indexa.php

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 04:56:49 PM »
welcome to the site Please do yourself a favor and buy a chart for the area you will  be using. And learn the channels and bouys. A lot of new boaters get themselves in trouble thinking it's all good water. A depthfinder is must. But using that to navagate is risky..... by the time you see low water. It will be too late 

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 05:17:10 PM »
you are right hotrod, look what happen the other day in the upper hudson river :'(
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline mchizhik

• Sponsor
    • Baitbagz.com
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 11:42:56 PM »
Fellow Ukrainian huh, Ilya?

Offline ilyawizard

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 09:18:25 AM »
Actually originally from Belarus. But that was a long time ago.

Offline ilyawizard

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 09:22:39 AM »
Hi guys again. I have a couple of more questions for you. What are the requirements in termes of safety. Do I need a radio on the boat, PFDs, anything else? And the most important question anyone knows free boat ramps where I can launch my boat around Brielle, Belmore?

Thanks a lot!

Offline sealife

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 06:25:04 PM »
You will need one PFD per persona and a throwable PFD>  Depending on where you are going to be with the boat you may want Type 1 PFD's, as a minimum I would get Type 2.  The Throwable is a type 4.  You will also need a horn or whistle, and a type B-1 Fire extinguisher.  You must carry your Boat Safety Certificate and the boat registration (Certificate of number) with you while operating the boat.  The boat should have operating navigation lights. If it is an inboard gas engine it will need to meet the ventilation requirements, if it is an outboard you are ok.  You will also need visual distress signals if you are in coastal waters.

This web site may help as well:

http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/fedreqs/equ_refchart.htm 

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 09:35:38 PM »
In addition to all the previous input, let me add a few. Seaworthiness of your craft. You stated its an older boat. Make sure your vessel has an operating bilge pump with good hose hooked up to a through hull. Your battery should be up to par. 2 are better. Battery connections, clean with no signs of corrosion. Steering system and fuel lines and filters gone over. The boat should have a water-seperating filter on it, to keep water out of your motor. Do not assume what the person that sold you the boat is true, unless there is receipts to prove the work. I see this all the time. A VHF Radio. A good handheld VHF [Icom is one of the best] will work fine if your just in the bay. I carry 3, 2 fixed and 1 handheld. . It is your lifeline to the Coast Guard.. Cell phones don't cut it. Remember, if you break down the CG does not tow you in. A cheap investment is SeaTow or TowBoat US. Don't know of any free ramps up there. Down here I can help for sure. Disregard all these lines. Don't know why it happened. Capt.Matt
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:58:16 PM by Hotrod »

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline brickken

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 09:49:50 PM »
Matt:

You must have clicked on strike through.

Go back and edit your post and remove the brackets with an s in it and the lines will disappear

looks like this"{s}"
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:51:59 PM by brickken »
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 10:00:07 PM »
I got it..  That is some great info Capt Matt  yea you a little
Code: [Select]
[s] in there that put a line thru all you text.

Great info!!!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 10:01:59 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 04:03:48 PM »
Thanks for taking the lines out. Another thing I'll add is any older boat with a under deck aluminum fuel tank, especially if it has no access hatch to remove for inspection,  that was installed with it sitting in bilge water, or foamed in with no opportunity for air to circulate around it, or with straps with worn out abrasion protection can and eventually will leak. Been there and have seen quite a few. Fuel leaks are nothing to mess with. Dangerous as heck and not taking lighly by the CG.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-