Author Topic: Ken and Ryans Canyon Run Results (warning long Post)  (Read 7674 times)

Offline brickken

Ken and Ryans Canyon Run Results (warning long Post)
« on: August 01, 2008, 02:49:01 PM »
We left the dock at 2:25 PM aboard the 48 ft. Canyon Runner to head south to the canyons. On board were Ryan, myself and 4 other anglers that we hadn't known before. The crew consisted of Mike (a history teacher during school year), Greg and Capt. Mark. As I had posted in my earlier thread this was a “hands-on” trip that they run where they let you do as much or as little work as you want. We wanted to pick up some tips for when we run out to the canyons on the “Taylor Vee”.

We got to just outside the canyons around 5:45 and started to troll our way into where we would eventually set up. Tip 1 –Don't just decide this is where we are running to based on reports, water temp studies etc.  Arrive early enough to troll the area and spot the birds and bait to help you decide exactly where you want to set up for the night.   We trolled from 5:45 to 8:30 eventually spotting some bait and birds but no action. Decided with the signs of life we were seeing we would set up and hope the chunk would finally start to produce. As soon as we started to retrieve the lines to change from the troll to the chunk we got hit with a yellowfin.  We had previously decided amongst us that order for the anglers, and this went to Drew who had never been on any type of fishing trip before. After about a 20-25  minute fight, dodging the pots in the area we were able to get the fish on board. It was a nice 35-40 lb yellowfin. We saw that we were now in the thick of the bait and set up for the chunk.

The bait was unbelievable and the fish finder was showing it as 60-80 feet deep. Squid, and large ones at that were everywhere around us. We drop a line with 2 squidders on and bring up 2-3 squids. Drop another with 3 squidders on it and bring up 3-4 squid. Our best was 5 squid on a 3 squid rig. You didn't even have to jig them, just put it in and retrieve and within 30 seconds or so have multiple squid on board. We ended up filling 2 ½ five gallon buckets with 12 inch squids lined up like cords of wood. Filled up fifteen 1 gallon zip lock bags for future trips for Canyon Runner. (see pic for an idea of size and quality) They probably won't need to buy squid for most of the remainder of the season. Set out all lines with live squids on them and started the chunk. We throw chunk in and it would get attacked by the squid. For every 4-5 pieces that went in, perhaps one would drift off to start the slick. Was actually kind of aggravating to have that much squid around. After about an hour to 90 minutes on the chunk one of the crew saw one of the rods bend just a little and immediately jumped over o it. He cranked it two turns, waited then cranked it two more times. Bang. Fish on. Tip 2 –pay careful attention to the movements of the rods with the movement of the bait to see just the tiniest of difference.   As soon as you notice something give it a few cranks, wait crank again, wait crank again if no action retrieve and check bait. (Many times out there we are cracking jokes and goofing off and not paying the proper attention to the lines, waiting for the tell tale whizz of a hit.)

Ryan had second in the predetermined order and he jumped on the rod after putting on a harness. He fought the fish with some help from the crew and within 15 minutes had a nice 40 pounder on board. We started to chunk again and continue with bringing the squid on board. The squid started to thin out and then disappeared. We started to chunk heavier and faster. Tip 3 – When abundant squid suddenly thin out, there may be a good reason. Predators may be around so chunk heavier and more often to create a good buffet for the predators.   Looking at one of the rods, I notice what I thought may have been a quick hit; at the same time Captain Mark who had been watching the fish finder “upstairs” jumped down. He said he saw a nice size mark at around 90 feet. The rod hit slightly again, he jumped on it, cranked it, got a quick hit again, cranked it and it was fish on. This one was set at 65 feet with 60 pound leader on it for tuna. Captain Mark immediately stated we have a swordfish on a tuna rig. Huh? How would he know? He tells me that is typical swordfish activity, they will brush a bait 2-3 times before striking it for real. Next up was Patrick, a big bruiser of a guy. He fought the fish nonstop for about 30 minutes before it decided to circle the boat. He handed the rod off to crew Mike who ran up the deck sides to the bow of the boat with Captain Mark. About ten minutes later they came back the other side and handed it back to Patrick. This went on 5 times till as they were running up the starboard deck the fish jumped at the tip of the outriggers and we saw a huge swordfish. Best estimate was 350-400 pounds. Capt. Mark ran and retrieved the harpoon and ball with line to get ready to harpoon the fish. Mike came around from the front and handed it off to Rob as by now Patrick was spent. The fish was fought for 2 hours, jumping twice more, but never getting close enough to get a harpoon into him. Then just like that the 60 pound leader gave way and it was immediately back to work getting the tuna lines back out and starting the chunk all over again.

At this point the rains began, and with it came heavy winds and for a little spice thunder and lightning. The guys went inside to get out of the rain, Ryan and I threw on our rain gear and continued to work the lines and chunk. Every 30 minutes or so giving the lines a crank, retrieving them and putting on a new live squid as we had plenty to use. Eventually Ryan went top and passed out at the helm. Two more thunder storms rolled in and out with lightning everywhere. One of the bolts came down pretty close by, and shortly thereafter we saw BBQ squid, rain fish and ling go floating by. Tip 4 – When lightning is that close, don't hang onto the bowrail, steps, or outriggers. (this one I already knew but is worth repeating).

Storms let up, squid were back and we continued on. I saw a rod bend, so I gave it a tap, then another and it was fish on. Ended up to be a 30 inch yellowfin that we debated on keeping. We didn't gaff it, I just pulled it in by the leader (putting a nice slice into my pinkie from the weight and grabbing the line the wrong way). Decided since it was legal and we only had 2 fish on board we'd keep it. Immediately another line went off and I jumped on it. Fought this one for about 25 minutes and brought a nice quality 70 pounder on board. Finally the others started to wake up and came back out and fought the next two fish. Both were lost at the boat. Squid went away and two more lines went off and these went into the box. It was now about 6:30 and had been light out for almost an hour. I wondered when we would start the troll, and they gave me Tip 5 – don't leave fish to find fish. As we were being productive, just because it was light out and you usually start trolling, wait until you have no action and then start. We put another fish in the boat and had 7 on the chunk for the night and set up the troll.

I was very interested to see how they would troll in comparison to how I usually did. They set out 6 spreader bars, 3 down the starboard side and 3 down the port side. They set a bird from the center rigger and the 2 daisy chains and a jet out. No squid (which we had a decent amount of), and no ballyhoos. Tip 6 – send out as many bars and artificial as you can in the beginning to create a lot of noise and splash to get the fish attention and interest.  Pay attention to the colors they are hitting, if possible, and put more of those colors out if you see a trend. Switch to some meat only when the other isn't productive. I was beat and not due up for a few fish so decided to go inside and rest for a few hours. 35 minutes later the door bangs open and I hear fish on. I responded, I'm not due up wake me in another ½ hour. Greg, crew member said, No you are needed right now we have 4 fish on. We landed another 4 60-75 pound class fish without losing one of them. Ryan landed a 65 pounder without assistance. The crew were busy having this guy move around that guy etc, that no one paid attention to the little 13 year old until he yelled, I've got color. They couldn't believe he brought the fish to the boat first and was ready to bag it without assistance. 45 minutes later we were hit again, first one, then 2, then 5 lines at once. Last tip- when on the troll don't immediately jump on the rods as chances are 95% that the hook is already set. Let the fish run, keeping an eye that the lines aren't getting crossed. You may just end up with multiple fish.

Sorry for such a long post... it was a heck of a trip. We ended up with 17 quality fish in the box by 9:30 and headed home after transferring the fish into a tuna coffin. We had no more room or ice for any more and didn't want to do catch and release so we cut our trip short by about 5-6 hours.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 09:32:20 PM by Hotrod »
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Ken and Ryans Canyon Run Results (warning long Post)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 03:12:59 PM »
Excellent report Ken! Made me feel like I was part of the action.

Sounds like you learned a lot from the trip.

Report stickied for future reference.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:15:05 PM »
 t^ Great report
Makes me want to go. Sounds like you guys had a great time.
Thanks
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 03:27:32 PM »
Look's like you guys had a real nice trip
great pictures   t^
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 03:28:10 PM »
nice detailed report  t^ adn nice fish  t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 03:35:43 PM »
Nice report and great catch!!  Sounds like you had an awesome time.  It is great for Ryan to be able to experience these things....It is great for you to have an experience like this as well, but for a teenager it is just something that makes and molds him into the adult he will grow up to be...things not many people can say they have done!! 

Great job!!

TT^

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 03:46:37 PM »
wow good detail
exc post and trip  t^

Offline makokeith

• Personal Best 38LBS
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 08:55:04 AM »
That was a great read. congrats on the trip and thanks for the report.   If these guys do this type of trip all the time could you forward me their contact # or web site. I want to start going off shore and they sound like the people to learn from.  Thanks.
Keith
Franklin, N.J.
Proud member of the I.B.E.W. local 827

MAKO 250wa twin 150 E-tecs
  Happily fishing out of Atlantic Highlands Municiple Marina.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 09:19:03 AM »
Wow Ken.  Awesome report.  Yes. I felt like I was there t^  Will make a great front page article.

Nice Job and thanks for the time to write that baby up

Offline brickken

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 10:54:43 AM »
That was a great read. congrats on the trip and thanks for the report.   If these guys do this type of trip all the time could you forward me their contact # or web site. I want to start going off shore and they sound like the people to learn from.  Thanks.
PM sent as they aren't sponsors on the site. This is what they are known for, tuna...
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline brickken

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 11:06:51 AM »
Nice report and great catch!!  Sounds like you had an awesome time.  It is great for Ryan to be able to experience these things....It is great for you to have an experience like this as well, but for a teenager it is just something that makes and molds him into the adult he will grow up to be...things not many people can say they have done!! 

Great job!!

TT^

Thanks... the captain and crew couldn't believe how knowledgable Ryan was. They told me he was more useful than another of their crew and more knowledgable. Said as soon as he was old enough he could come work for them. You should have seen the size of his chest after those remarks   TT^
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 11:11:38 AM »
Thanks... the captain and crew couldn't believe how knowledgable Ryan was. They told me he was more useful than another of their crew and more knowledgable. Said as soon as he was old enough he could come work for them. You should have seen the size of his chest after those remarks   TT^

That's awesome!!  As a father, it doesn't get much better than that!!!!  I am sure you feel the same way.

TT^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 05:44:15 PM »
Judging from Ryan's questions, comments to other's questions and reports he posts, he has his act together.  t^ slt
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 06:28:42 PM »
Judging from Ryan's questions, comments to other's questions and reports he posts, he has his act together.  t^ slt

I agree and he had to learn from someone and somewhere!!

chrz

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 12:14:40 PM »
Fantastic report Ken  t^ You and Ryan must have had a blast.. Great learning experience to boot! Well done.. Thanks for taking the time to create such a great post  chrz

Offline Axehandle

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2009, 11:12:37 AM »
Great post for a great trip
I FISH therefore I am.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-