Author Topic: so whats next after fluke??  (Read 4565 times)

Offline maldonw

• Full Member of the Den
so whats next after fluke??
« on: September 04, 2008, 07:05:47 AM »
hey guys hope everyone had a good holiday weekend t^ since fluke season is over soon what is next up in the fishing seasons? since im new to this i dont know how the seasons run thank you

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: so whats next after fluke??
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 08:39:49 AM »
On our home page there are a number of things that are very helpful as is this chart.

http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=130&Itemid=108

Its a not cast in stone thing but a good reference point as to what is around.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 08:45:06 AM »
Stripers is what most are gearing up for next

Offline Duffman

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 10:31:37 AM »
#1 - drink beer and watch football.

#2 - hit the canyon once the chunk bite heats up.

#3 - get gear ready for striper jigging.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 11:39:46 AM »
 5hrug
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 12:06:15 PM »
Well this saturday looks like a wash/blow out. Not sure how well the fish will bite on Sunday after the bottom gets all roiled. Might go ultra light snapper fishing again Sunday morning.

The following weekend I'll be out Saturday gathering fiddler & Asian crabs to go bottom fishing on Sunday or to see if I can sell them at the docks to any patrons going bottom fishing. Hopefully hurricane Ike doesn't come into play that weekend.

I usually lay low the last half of September/first half of October. Although sometimes I'll make a sea bass/porgy trip. Afterwards I go jigging for bass/blues then turn my attention to blackfish.

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 01:04:39 PM »
I will miss Fluking, but I just love to pull on fish.. Bluefishing has been lights out, so will spend some time yokin on them.. Hopefully some Bonito and Albies will show up in numbers in the north soon.. Had some fun with them last Sept.. Mix in some seabass/porgies, a Mudhole trip or 2, and then Bass till the buzzer  chrz

Offline mgm

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 01:10:19 PM »
Will do the annual bluefishing trip with a group I go with every Sept....then maybe a porgy/seabass trip or two until the striper jigging season begins....blackfish on Nov 15th until they move offshore into deaper waters...also some fall trout to fill in the days.
" The press should be not only a collective propagandist and a collective agitator, but also a collective organizer of the masses. "

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 01:19:47 PM »
I'm wondering what the PB's will do.
Like the one's in the RB, A Highlands
and further south???
-Mr Limpett
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 01:39:52 PM »
Sea Hawk will be bottom fishing.  Porgies, seabass, maybe ling, and should be carrying crabs for the one blackfish limit too.

I LOVE bottom-fishing TT^
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 02:46:21 PM »
Never went out for Seabass...only every caught one by accident here and there. I'll have to try it this month on the SH.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 02:49:37 PM by bassnblues »

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 03:18:40 PM »
There really aren't any fish coming up to an actual season.  Tog creel limit will increase from 1 fish to 6 fish on November 16th through December 31st.  After December 31st the creel will drop to 4 fish through April 30th, if the Regs don't change for 2009.  Otherwise, striped bass, weakfish and bluefish will pick up as well as bottom fish that were previously mentioned.  Then we will have to see what 2009 Regs bring for season starts and creel limits.

If you are fishing the Inlet again, those seabass you caught last time are a good choice to target there.  They should start getting a little bigger in there and a keeper black seabass is only 12 inches so...I have also heard of Tog by the rocks, but have never seen or had any luck with them.  Also keep a few lures handy for any bait moving in or out of the Inlet.  Pretty much guaranteed to be fish under or behind them.

Good Luck!

TT^

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 03:25:06 PM »
Weakfish are the "wild card"  I know a PB or two will be trying for them in Raritan Bay early next week, but not expecting to hear of glowing reports 5hrug

I miss light tackle porgy fishing in the bay.  A few years ago there were some phenominal fishing for them in the channels and mussel beds.  1-2oz sinker, single hook and bailed them on light tackle. TT^

From reports I've seen from NJ and NY boats already bottom fishing in the NY Bight area, no great shakes so far...
XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 03:31:49 PM »
Yeah, weaks and progys in the bay are always a crapshoot.

Does the SeaHawk usually go out to Sandy hook reef for bottom fishing?

Offline gottog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 03:43:28 PM »
Depends.  Romer and surrounding mussel beds have been good for porgies, then there is Rockaway reef, SH reef and some other wrecks outside the bay.

XL Rods addict
Fishing hack

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »
Sounds like a plan for next weekend! ;D

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 04:46:11 PM »
OK Tog, I usually (well, alway's) fish on
the Sea Hawk. What kind's of rigs (or hooks
and leader matereal) should I bring next week?
BTW, I'm going to try to get on board on Friday
afternoon's trip.
-Mr Limpett
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 06:01:37 PM »
Lots more fish to be caught before this year is over! ;D

Bonito
Little Tunny
Weakfish
Bluefish
Sea bass
Blackfish
& STRIPERS!  t^

Offline maldonw

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 07:52:57 PM »
There really aren't any fish coming up to an actual season.  Tog creel limit will increase from 1 fish to 6 fish on November 16th through December 31st.  After December 31st the creel will drop to 4 fish through April 30th, if the Regs don't change for 2009.  Otherwise, striped bass, weakfish and bluefish will pick up as well as bottom fish that were previously mentioned.  Then we will have to see what 2009 Regs bring for season starts and creel limits.

If you are fishing the Inlet again, those seabass you caught last time are a good choice to target there.  They should start getting a little bigger in there and a keeper black seabass is only 12 inches so...I have also heard of Tog by the rocks, but have never seen or had any luck with them.  Also keep a few lures handy for any bait moving in or out of the Inlet.  Pretty much guaranteed to be fish under or behind them.

Good Luck!

TT^
hey pfish yes i am still sticking to the inlet for now (will be trying other places soon just not sure where to go yet but thats for another post)so hopefully the sea bass will pick up .i may get on a boat sometime soon hopefully i wont get seasick . do sea bass go for the same type of bait as fluke ? i know the rigs looked different when i saw them at gates b&t he had some 2 hook rig on high one low .

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 08:08:08 PM »
Yeah same baits work.  From my experience, squid strips work very well for them, but any bait will work...Killies, spearing, clam pieces.  And yes, a hi low rig works the best with a bank sinker in just enough weight to hold onto the bottom.  You could go with just a little less weight and let it drift along the wall as well if the Inlet isn't over populated.

Remember, keep a few lures or bait rig set ups for bluefish coming through.

Good luck!  You could always read up on the Pt Pleasant Canal Thread and follow some of Garry's suggestions for trying the Canal.  Canal seems to be MORE productive than the Inlet in almost all cases.  It is just a little bit harder to fish.

TT^
 TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-