Author Topic: Brick Beach Blues 9/14  (Read 5446 times)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
Brick Beach Blues 9/14
« on: September 14, 2008, 10:29:16 AM »
I hit the snooze bar this morning, before finally dragging myself out of bed.  Still managed to get to the beach by first light though.  ;)

I started out throwing a pencil popper and then  a Bomber Long A.  Nothing seemed to be interested in those, so I switched over to a 5" white Tsunami Swim Shad and tossed that for a while.  Still nothing. 

The sun was just over the horizon when I caught a glimpse of a little flurry about a half a cast out.  I threw my shad over near the activity, but still had no takers.  Then another little splash in the same vicinity.  It appeared to be some small baitfish (spearing?) being harassed by something bigger than them.  So I quickly clipped on a 1oz. Hopkins No=Eql and made a cast.

BANG!  That was it!  Set the hook and the fight was on! ;D  Landed a bluefish around three pounds that was quickly released.  In the next hour and a half I managed a fairly steady pick of blues (all around 3lbs. or so). 

One of the blues was nice enough to show me what they were feeding on as well.  Sandeels were their breakfast this morning.  And you can see in the last two pics why that small Hopkins No=Eql was the ticket.  It is almost a perfect match for the 4 and 5" sandeels they were feasting on. TT^

The bite slowed as the sun got higher and the clouds started to dissipate.  I was off the beach around 8:00.  Final score was a baker's dozen of fish, which included 11 bluefish and two hefty sea robins.

One thing that kind of surprised me was that until around 7:30 or so, I had the entire beach to myself.  And by the time I left I saw only two other anglers out.  Not that I'm complaining.  It's nice to have a whole stretch of sand to yourself. ;D  I just found it odd that in the middle of September on a weekend morning, there would be so few people out trying there luck.  Seems to me that back in the day the beaches used to be packed on a Saturday or Sunday morning in September. 5hrug

Anyway, it was a fun morning.  Tried giving Pfishingruven a heads up with a call on his cell, but got no answer.  Hopefully he got into some where he was this morning too! t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Brick Beach Blues 9/14
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:40:16 AM »
Sweet, Bob.  I knew if I was not able to make it out you would have better luck.  I am going to try and get out a couple of times this week.  Great catching... TT^ grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 10:55:41 AM »
Nice catch  t^

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 10:58:11 AM »
Nice report Bob  t^ The misses and I are getting ready to head to the boat now. going to take a crusie put a couple lines out to see what is willing to cooperate  TT^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 01:57:51 PM »
Great catch Bucktail!  Nice couple of fish on.  Thanks for trying to call me.  I NEVER got out this morning.  Kids had different plans than I did last night.  The one decided it was play time when dad wanted to leave and go fishing.  He didn't go back to sleep until way after I wanted to be fishing.  Of course, it figures, I don't get out, there are fish.  When I get out nothing.  I think I might be the black cloud, so you are lucky I stayed in rofla!  Always another day or another weekend.  We will have to try it again and I will actually get out this time.

TT^

Offline Greg7

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 02:14:15 PM »
t^ nice catch!

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 02:35:56 PM »
Great catch Bucktail!  Nice couple of fish on.  Thanks for trying to call me.  I NEVER got out this morning.  Kids had different plans than I did last night.  The one decided it was play time when dad wanted to leave and go fishing.  He didn't go back to sleep until way after I wanted to be fishing.  Of course, it figures, I don't get out, there are fish.  When I get out nothing.  I think I might be the black cloud, so you are lucky I stayed in rofla!  Always another day or another weekend.  We will have to try it again and I will actually get out this time.
 TT^

Sorry you couldn't get out this morning. :-\ 
Not to worry though, the fall season hasn't even started yet.  Lots of fishing to do between now and the end of the year!  ;)

-Bob

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 04:09:44 PM »
 Nice going Bucktail! slt

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 04:46:43 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline brickken

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 06:13:33 PM »
Nice report there Bob!
Ken

"The Taylor Vee"
Wellcraft Coastal 360

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 06:27:10 PM »
Nice report and catch Bob. Great pics. Shows exactly why the hopkins no-equal worked.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 09:23:23 PM »
Nice Job Bob. t^

Offline gagedylan

• http://www.myspace.com/husbandshatemeclub
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 07:08:58 AM »
nice catch!....some guys tell me when i come home after catching a dozen bluefish that, well, there just bluefish.....hey, keeps you in the action, youre not counting grains of sand on your feet, and the smaller ones are great on the grill t^
25' Chris Craft Sea Hawk W/A with twin Suzuki 140 OB

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 10:06:39 AM »
nice catch!....some guys tell me when i come home after catching a dozen bluefish that, well, there just bluefish.....hey, keeps you in the action, youre not counting grains of sand on your feet, and the smaller ones are great on the grill t^

Absolutely GD.  Bluefish are always fun to catch! t^  Not to sound like and old man, but it seems to me there are a lot of people that don't remember the days when stripers were scarce and bluefish were pretty much the only game in town.  There are many anglers around now that are simply spoiled by the tremendous amount of striped bass that are available now.

I still prefer to catch stripers, bonitos, etc.  But when you're out fishing, you can only catch what's biting.  And if it's blues that are bending my rod, that's fine with me! ;D

-Bob

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 10:08:03 AM »
 whs grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 02:38:16 PM »
Hey, when you haven't hook anything all summer on the beach and the something bites, it is all fun!  I look forward to the bluefish in the late summer and early fall.  Always satisfy that want to catch urge to carry me over into the winter with here and there striper fishing!

Of course, I would love to go out every time and catch a trophy striper or a trophy weakfish, but I want a million dollars and to hit the lottery too!  Someone just asked me the other day what I was going out for...I said bluefish and they rolled their eyes at me!  Of course they don't fish.  My mother loves bluefish too...call her crazy but she does it up and loves it.  So, bluefish would satisfy me and my mother would have a few good meals!!

TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-