Author Topic: Live Snappers??  (Read 1131 times)

Offline gymrat987654321

• Super Hero Member
Live Snappers??
« on: October 17, 2008, 09:15:30 PM »
I was wondering how to fish live snappers for bigger bluefish and bass. I was thinking of putting a fishfinder slide on my main line with a 18" 45# steel leader and a 6/0 hook. What do you think? Also where should I hook it? Thanks.  t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Live Snappers??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 09:53:13 PM »
You probably won't even need a fish finder rig b/c you probably don't need the weight.  If you do, the fish finder rig modified is perfect.  I would use 60# wire leader with the 18" fish finder rig made of at least #80 mono or fluro.  If you don't need the fishfinder, go with 12-18" 80# mono or fluro directly to a hook.  You will probably need a stinger hook on wire line also, otherwise there is a good chance the blues will just cut the back half of the snapper off and leave you with half a fish.  If you want to get more time out of your livelined snapper, you can use 80# mono or fluro to the stinger hook and  rubberband it to the tail of the snapper or bait.  That way you aren't hooking into the bait twice.  5/0 or 6/0 hooks are good too.  My teasers are only 5/0 hooks and they were plenty big enough for blues in the surf.

Good Luck.  Hope I didn't confuse you :P

TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-