Author Topic: Tuff day out there! 11/2  (Read 2852 times)

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
Tuff day out there! 11/2
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:39:31 PM »
Wow.  Talk about snotty.  The north east winds were relentless this morning.  Headed out just before 8:00.  That extra hour came in handy.  Little did I know we were going to need it.  Fished with my old school buddies from the neighborhood Skunk, Kooz and Poor Dog.  This is a group of guys that get together every quarter to have dinner at someones house based on rotation.  We've known each other since we were seven years old.  We're all 53.  You do the math.. Nothing like good friends ;)

We had about a half bushel of clams and intended to work the Romer's or the clam beds.  Rounding the tip was no easy task this AM.  The swells were fast and furious.  We slowly worked our way down near the false hook and I have to be honest thought we were out of our minds.  We were not the only ones to brave the conditions.  Dropped anchor in 18 ft of water, nose into the wind and began sending the clam slick over the side with bait on four poles.  Based on the lack of activity on the beach, I knew we were in for a long day.  Surf casters sitting in lawn chairs, no bird action, a heaving sea made for horrible start.  Picked up 4 skates.  Just enough to give you hope.  After the fourth, we pulled anchor.  We were already an hour into it.  We then headed to the shoal.  As the morning progressed the seas quited slightly but nothing to write home about.

Several boats were anchored around the perimeter of the light.  There were decent readings in 16-20 ft of water but the top of the tide put a cabash on our hopes.  Not a bent pole was seen all morning.  Closer to noon, we pulled hook and chased a few small diving terns.  Their desire to stay put was limited and were working small surface bait with no marks below.  This day was just not happening.  Around 1:30 decided to go inside the bay to see if there was life. 

We welcomed the flat water.  Tide was beginning to pour out nicely.  We did have wind against but it beat the beating we took all morning.  Threw metal, plastics and more bait.  Nothing.  Beginning to go crazy.  There were fish around but no one was interested.  Called my buddy Tbone to let him know the disappointing news and his intel suggested the troll was putting fish in the box  and might just be the ticket.  Heck there was nothing left to lose so out came the 9er's both chartreuse and pearl. Within the first 10 minutes, the first fish is on.... Old yeller is at the boat with a nasty set of choppers.  Good eatin 5 lb size.  Poor Dog says he has a neighbor that likes blues so the fillet knife is out and we made quick surgery of him. 

Lines back out.... days wearing on the chartreuse shads are attacked once again.  This time there's surface activity and the neighborhood boys are finally in the hunt.  The first bass is boated and tapes in at 29 inches.  Three more passes in the same corridor in 40 ft of water over structure produced three more bass and one more blue fish.  Two of the bass were short.  One at 23 and the other at 20.  On our last pass on the way in, the third bass strikes and puts a cap on the day. Nothing huge but a decent 30 incher. 
The pearls put an equal amount of fish on the boat so it seemed there was no preference on color. 

We got back to the dock at 4:15.  That was one tuff day... we should all sleep well tonight.

Till next time! 

A couple of pics

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Tuff day out there! 11/2
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 08:44:23 PM »
Great report Pilot.. Thank You t^

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 10:30:19 PM »
Great report!  Hard work for those fish, but you managed a few...nice.

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 12:31:15 AM »
Thanks for the report, At least you caught multiply bass.  Our trip only one was caught by Bucktail early on and we all thought it was going to be a good day but only old yellow eyes seemed to be in the house after that... t^ grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline kezsr

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 04:35:26 AM »
good report,got some bass with the troll t^,heading out this morning,going with bait,have the shad rig ready but hate to go to the troll.
of all liars among mankind the fisherman is most trustworthy.  William Sherwood Fox

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 05:18:37 AM »
Good Job Guys!  chrz
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 05:35:46 AM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 06:58:20 AM »
Way to hang tough & stick it out.... t^

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 09:10:46 AM »
Great report. It was tuff conditions on the water Sunday. Way to hang in there.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Tbone

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 04:05:44 PM »
Pilot, Good report.  I got nothing today.  Tried the trolling and bait.  Nice conditions and still nothing.  I think a few bass were caught in the back but all on troll. Oh well, it might be a short fall.  Later, TBone. 

Offline pilot2550

• Super Hero Member
  • Z'Obsession
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 07:39:11 PM »
Will be out with Skunk tomorrow.  Hope to find them.  How'd the stew come out?

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 09:25:53 PM »
Nice detailed report. Thats what will help all of us out, Locations and weather and type of bait.  t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Tbone

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 12:54:15 PM »
Pilot, Stew came out great.  I have plenty for tomorrow night.  Good stuff.  Thanks, Tbone

Offline FINITALIA2

• 43.8lbs. 49in.
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 09:24:24 AM »
 t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-