Author Topic: [FAQ]Trolling Bunker Spoons Etc...  (Read 5644 times)

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
[FAQ]Trolling Bunker Spoons Etc...
« on: May 23, 2007, 05:28:15 PM »
I will take this FAQ for our less experienced Fisherman... ;) And would like to learn a little more about trolling..

Stretch 25's. Means nothing to me? As bunker spoons mean about the same on how to use them..  Speed Depth Etc..

So when I'd like to turn to trolling it would be nice to know I'm doing it correctly.. TT^

What do I need and how should I use it.

Pics will help a lot.

Thanks Guys!!

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: [FAQ]Trolling Bunker Spoons Etc...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 06:04:20 PM »
I have 2 nine foot Seeker rods that are made specifically for bunker spoons and Penn 4/0 reels loaded with wire line to get them down.  I put a shot of leader at the end of the wire to attach the spoons.  I attach the leader to the wire with an Albright knot.
http://www.fintalk.com/fishing-knots/albright.html

I attach a swivel to the leader using an offshore knot.
http://www.marlinnut.com/knots/offshore.shtml

The line goes out and the rods are put into side riggers so they are pointing off to the side of the boat.
I let the wire line out keeping in mind that generally speaking for every ten feet of wire in the water your spoons will be down one foot.  If you are trolling 30 feet of water you will have out about 300 feet of wire out.  You have to keep a constant eye on your depth finder and adjust your line in the water accordingly.  Remember the one foot down to ten feet of line in the water is only a guideline.

Your trolling speed is correct when you see a "whipping" action on the rods.  They should have a steady pulsating motion.  That pulsating motion is caused by the action of the bunker spoons.  (I hope I explained that correctly.)

Now, just watch the rods as they will bend down pretty good when you have a hook-up.

That is how I troll bunker spoons. 
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 07:11:19 PM »
Hot Rod,

Capt Joe pretty much summed up the bunker spoons......we usually troll at 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 knots, we have a 20' 60 lb test FLouro-Carbon leader....when the spoons are running correctlt is is a steady pulsing or pumping action.

Stretch 25's are made to fish to 25' depth at about 150 yds out...........

Hope this helps TT^

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 09:15:46 PM »
On one of the open charter boats that I frequent he switched from pulling wire to using braid (he uses this for spoon, plugs & umbrella rigs). Makes it alot easier. However he mainly fishes Raritan Bay so I'm not sure how it would work in the deeper waters of the ocean.

One trick we use alot to get a double is that after the first fish is hooked & being fought-the person reeling in the second does so in a hurky jerky fashion and at least 70% of the time we get a strike on the retrieve.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 09:50:58 PM »
Skolman, good tip on the herky jerky action while retrieving.  I usually keep the boat speed steady for a minute or two after the hook-up just in case another fish wants to commit suicide.  I will give your way a try.  Thanks.
Also like the idea of the braid instead of wire.  It would be a whole lot easier if it will get down deep where the big bass sleep.

Ruger314

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 10:14:05 PM »
guys thanks for the imput on spoons.. tried them monday no takers .. still favor my livelinning!!. but want a big bass on a spoon though..

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 05:25:43 AM »
Thanks All.  That cleared up a lot for me, and a few others i'm sure. TT^

Offline nickfishbait

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 11:41:30 AM »
Great info!

One question ... what about tides affecting a troll? Are there any particulars to pay attention to? Troll with the tide?

Thanks
--Nick

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 01:45:29 PM »
Nick,
I troll both with and against the current.  You will also find times where you will be going sideways to the current. 

When you change directions (with or against current) your RPMs will differ.  You will  have different RPMs going against the current than going with the current to get the same action on the spoons.  I am not as concerned with the RPMs or speed as I am with the action of the spoons.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 04:42:24 PM »
Great info!

One question ... what about tides affecting a troll? Are there any particulars to pay attention to? Troll with the tide?

Thanks
--Nick

Yea.  Leave it to Hotrod to ask all the Noob Questions ;D

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-