Author Topic: Bottom Paint 101  (Read 3503 times)

Offline lost sailor

Bottom Paint 101
« on: February 21, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »
Well I got my first fiberglass boat. Nice 23 foot center console. She is sitting on a trailer and I want to find out the ins and outs of bottom paint. Does anybody have any links/suggestions? I know that there are lots of options out there and I know zero-----just want to familiarize myself as a slip is in my near future-----finally!

Any opinions on best brands, types, colors, etc are appreciated. Is this a do it yourself type of project? I have compressors etc. if prep work call for that type of tools nts.

Thanks---
Lost sailor
Play Time is Over.

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
Re: Bottom Paint 101
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 04:50:52 PM »
Capt Matt from Task Marine sells some good paint.  I'm sure Jawz and Him will be in here with some good information. t^
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 04:53:29 PM by Hotrod »

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 07:21:05 PM »
no offense,but,don't follow any of the advice in either of those 2 threads-terrible...

That was before we had you t^

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:51:18 AM »
While I agree on the above method, I rarely get a boat owner that has the coin  to do it this way in one shot. On New boat hulls with no previous bottom paint, a de-wax is a must as mentioned.  We used Interlux 202 Solvent. I've also seen denatured alcohol used. Lots of clean rags, always changing them out so your not re-contaminating the surface.
Adhering to Manufacturers guidelines prevented us from sanding the hulls where I worked.
We used a product called Skip-Sand or No Sand Primer from Petit or Interlux. It is super thin and can be messy to apply. The Directions must be followed to the T. Period. Temperature and dry time are critical. If you cheat, the bottom paint will not adhere properly and you'll have major headaches. Seen it happen. We used Interlux A.C.T. Ablative bottom paint.
If you can afford to barrier coat the bottom first, do it. I have never done any of my boats. Same with the bottom paint. Multiple coats of a multi-season paint means you don't have to do it every season. I alter my colors every season so I know whats wearing away.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline lost sailor

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 08:07:01 AM »
This seems a little more involved than I want to try myself. What is a ballpark estimate on what I can expect to spend on having this done "the right way"?
Play Time is Over.

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 09:33:40 AM »
lost sailor, give me a call. I am a sponsor on here. Thanks. Matt. Cell-908-217-2345

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 10:33:11 AM »
 whs

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-