Author Topic: One last sea serpent...  (Read 10199 times)

Offline Pops Soul

• SKIP <*}}}><
  • Super Hero Member
  • SKIP <*}}}><
Re: One last sea serpent...
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 03:38:59 PM »
Nice Mark  t^
It's Not A Knot Until You Pull It Tight!

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 03:49:18 PM »
Very Cool t^

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »
Mark ever try using fish skin as a wrap. Ive been thinking of trying some black fish skin for a wrap but not sure on the turn out ???
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 02:55:55 PM »
Mark ever try using fish skin as a wrap. Ive been thinking of trying some black fish skin for a wrap but not sure on the turn out ???

Al, I haven't tried a fish skin inlay yet..Although I know a guy (posts on the net, and here occasionally as Mickrazz) who did a nice rod/grip inlay with Blackfish skin.. came out way cool... I think the biggest challenge will be preserving/tanning the skin, and keeping the colors from fading.. all the skins I've worked with where already tanned.. so not sure how you would process the skin.. but once that part is done, the actual application to the rod is a breeze.. Phil (Wreckfish) mentioned he was going to try a fish skin inlay, so he may have more insight into the tanning process t^
Thanks again for the compliments everyone  slt  chrz  chrz

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 04:43:12 PM »
yeah i asked phil about it for the rod he made me but he wasnt to sure on how it was going to work, Ive done some research on it and apparently borax is the way to tan the skin but IDK
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 06:17:19 PM »
Eel skin!
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline Wreckfish

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 10:28:17 PM »
Borax is it. First bath in alcohol to get any oils out and then borax to preserve. I met a taxidermist and he told me this. My problem is I am working on rods for other people and I'm not working on my rod.  5hrug

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 05:29:16 AM »
Borax is it. First bath in alcohol to get any oils out and then borax to preserve. I met a taxidermist and he told me this. My problem is I am working on rods for other people and I'm not working on my rod.  5hrug

Well stop doing such a nice job and that will no longer be an issue >:D

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-