Author Topic: Use of Synthetic Oil :Question  (Read 12803 times)

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
Use of Synthetic Oil :Question
« on: February 10, 2013, 09:42:54 PM »
Hey men, I was thinking of changing over to using straight synthetic oil in the  2005 Honda 225 on the boat and some yards toys e.g.the ride on lawn tractors,log splitters,snow throwers,power washers,generators and stuff.  Any feed back on use of synthetic oil in these machines instead of regular Castrol oil would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Use of Synthetic Oil :Question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:24:38 PM »
My first thought would be if any of them are still under warranty I would check to see if using synthetic oil would negate the any of the  warranties.
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 06:20:17 AM »
AJ,
All my stuff has Synthetic Oil in it. After taking engines apart with and without it being used, I was sold.
The only thing of mine does not have it is the lawn mower. I don't even chance the oil in them. The deck rots out and it's cheaper just to throw it out and get a new one.

Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline DJ76

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:19:47 AM »
i have noticed zero overall benefits to using synthetic oil vs conventional.  in all my years i never saw any added benefits for the additonal costs.  just do your regular maintenance and your good.  my opinion of course.
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 09:14:15 AM »
I had a customer who would send his trucks in at 250,000 miles for an overhaul and the main and crank bearings were in need of replacement. At one point he started draining out the oil of his new trucks the day he took delivery of them and put Synthetic Oil. When the first truck showed up for it’s 250,000 mile engine overhaul, the bearings showed no wear. The next one we pulled the bearings down at 300,000 miles and found very little wear. The next one was done at 350,000 and it was time. So he gained 100,000 miles on his overhauls. He changed his oil at 16,000 miles not 8,000. So he saved an oil change and filter. The cost of the extra oil change paid for the price of the oil. Keep in mind that these trucks hold 40 quarts of oil. I would not do that with an engine the holds 5 quarts of oil. But I would have no problem adding 2,000 miles to the change.
My truck holds 16 qts of oil and I run 12,000 mile oil changes.
Also if you look around most manufacturers have added longer warranties for engines and transmission that have Synthetic Oil.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 12:54:48 PM »
Some very interesting facts. My intention is to protect the machines for longer life and add SOME  distance between oil changes. I keep a maintenance log on the machinery and would continue to change oil as needed but maybe go a little further between oil changes.I feel  synthetic oil will protect the inner parts better thus getting longer usage from the motors.The  additional cost of the more expensive oil would balance out the longer useage of the machines.
What do you think?   

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 01:08:33 PM »
Some very interesting facts. My intention is to protect the machines for longer life and add SOME  distance between oil changes. I keep a maintenance log on the machinery and would continue to change oil as needed but maybe go a little further between oil changes.I feel  synthetic oil will protect the inner parts better thus getting longer usage from the motors.The  additional cost of the more expensive oil would balance out the longer useage of the machines.
What do you think?   

Yes AJ it's worth it!

Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 04:11:48 PM »
I am a fan of synthetic oil and use it in my 3 vehicles and power equipment.  I also spent the extra money for a Honda lawnmower with a composite deck so it will not rot. t^
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 05:58:14 PM »
Oil in your engine has two jobs...lubricate and suspend the dirt ( why it turns black)

When you use regular motor oil...say 10W 30...the minute you warm the engine and run it you are slowly wearing the oils lubricating qualities down..It is not 10W 30 when you drain it..

With synthetic motor oil the lubrication qualities do not break down with heat like regular oil...The synthetic molecules are stronger and stand up much better to heat..hence, longer engine life due to it's superior lubricating qualities...

But...

Regular and synthetic oil both can suspend the same amount of dirt and should still be changed at a regular interval...

I agree with Rick with the use of synthetics t^

Worth the extra money....

Offline DJ76

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 06:54:08 PM »
i guess thats where i'm different.  my 6.4 powerstroke is changed every 5k no matter what. I use my truck hard (notice use NOT abuse) and I like the oil to be flushed every 5k. costing me about 80 bucks for the oil change around 200 when i do the fuel filters every 10k. truck take i believe 12 quarts. I put about 25k miles on the truck a year.

I used synthetic in my old chevy big block gasser and I blew be3aring #7 at 120k and wind up having to do a rebuild. what did synthetic get me?  Changed my oil religiously in these trucks.

i have all sorts of lawn and landscape equipment.  use regular oil and never (knock on wood) blew an engine.  I have/have had equipment that is ten plus years old and knock on wood no issues. my one mower is an 06 with something like 2600 hours on it...runs great.

I believe the key is regular maintenance.

Not trying to argue but I just dont see it.
It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline Duffman

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 08:03:03 PM »
This debate is as old as Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge.

IMO..for it whats worth, love the synthetics in my cars and trucks.

Lawn/home equipment not so much. To me, that stuff is almost a disposable item.  Dont keep mowers/weedwackers/gennies/powerwashers around long enough to warrant the extra cost of synthetic.

I beat the snot outta everything I own and have seen first hand the benefits of syn.   I'll stick with it.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 08:22:57 PM »
i guess thats where i'm different.  my 6.4 powerstroke is changed every 5k no matter what. I use my truck hard (notice use NOT abuse) and I like the oil to be flushed every 5k. costing me about 80 bucks for the oil change around 200 when i do the fuel filters every 10k. truck take i believe 12 quarts. I put about 25k miles on the truck a year.

I used synthetic in my old chevy big block gasser and I blew be3aring #7 at 120k and wind up having to do a rebuild. what did synthetic get me?  Changed my oil religiously in these trucks.

i have all sorts of lawn and landscape equipment.  use regular oil and never (knock on wood) blew an engine.  I have/have had equipment that is ten plus years old and knock on wood no issues. my one mower is an 06 with something like 2600 hours on it...runs great.

Dj it wasnt the oils fault it was chevys :P
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline DJ76

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 08:39:22 PM »

hence why I own a FORD now!!  preaching to the choir my friend slt
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 09:38:29 PM »
I would think if one  makes the investment to buy top brand equipment than making the investment with synthetic to protect the investment is a good decision. Keeping and maintaining the equipment is a priority;I just thought the synthetic oils would support that plan.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 10:41:25 PM »

hence why I own a FORD now!!  preaching to the choir my friend slt

fcp even worse rofla DODGE my friend
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline DJ76

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 08:43:26 AM »
i wouldn't accept a free dodge if my life depended on it.  what do those trans last 40k miles in a pickup?  there diesel engines thats another story
~Stephen B. Leacock

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 10:01:23 AM »
 :headscra: :headscra: Really??
I have a Dodge pushing 166,000 miles. chrz

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 11:20:05 AM »
I'm always skeptical about the next great thing. Especially when the current thing works well and is cheaper. I use dino oil in all vehicles and power equipment with excellent results.

I change regularly, like 5K for trucks and 50hrs on the genny, mowers, etc.

That said, sometimes the next great thing really is better. I use the Royal Purple in the LU of YSA and wouldn't switch that either.

I heard internal friction is lower with synthetic - I don't understand how this can be true, but if it is, you should get better MPG with it. Anyone driving the same route everyday should be able to mythbust this pretty easily. Especially if its all highway. That would be interesting.

Oil in your engine has two jobs...lubricate and suspend the dirt ( why it turns black)

actually 3 jobs- in a 4stroke engine the oil also carries away a surprising amount of heat. Mostly the discoloration of used oil in a normal engine is due to heat.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:27:15 AM by wb »

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 03:25:16 PM »
i wouldn't accept a free dodge if my life depended on it.  what do those trans last 40k miles in a pickup?  there diesel engines thats another story

I guess it all depends I have 80 k on this one no problems. The '83 i had had 212,000 on it with the original clutch. If you tale care of your vehicles the woll take care of you

Offline Kenny

• Super Hero Member
  • My Fishing Buddie !
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 04:54:11 PM »

Mostly the discoloration of used oil in a normal engine is due to heat.

The discoloration is the carbon that get's past the piston rings...the oil picks it up and turns the oil black...

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-