Author Topic: trying to get started  (Read 1245 times)

Offline pa mountainman

trying to get started
« on: May 23, 2010, 02:06:55 PM »
hello everyone i am a Pennsylvania husband and father of two who is trying to get himself and family into saltwater fishing in the Atlantic City area.  every year we head to A. C. for my wife and youngest daughter's birthdays and every year when they drag me to the beach i think to myself this would be alot cooler with a fishing rod in front of me!!!!  so for the last 3 months i have been investigating where, when and how (thats actually how i found this site, which is awesome by the way)to saltwater fish in A. C.  Through all my years of hunting and fishing the best information i ever got was from locals or other folks who frequent the area so I'm asking for suggestions, tips anything else you might have that would help me and the family have a fun day of fishing.  my wife and i are in our early 30's and children are 10 and 5.  thanks a bunch and keep casting in the right direction!!!!!
give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for the rest of his life.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: trying to get started
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 03:43:04 PM »
Welcome Aboard Pa. Mountainman,

Although I am not from the AC area,  I can tell you what to look fore and some equipment you should target.

I would think about a rod in the 8' range and a reel in the 300 category.  The rod should be able to handle something the the 3/4 oz to about 3 or a little less.  This way you can cast lighter plugs and be able to handle up to a 3oz sinker for when you us e bait.

As far as the reel try to match it with the specs of the rod.  You will be looking for something that will handle line to 20 to 30 pounds and have a line capacity of 260 to around 300 yards.

To give you and idea of a complete outfit I have a 8' Tica Dolphin Surf and a Penn 360.  I use 20 pound Power Pro that puts me right into the ball park.  I use this set up when I feel like walking the beach and plugging.  But when I an dead sticking I will use this setup when the current is mnot running to strong and 3 Oz holds bottom.

I hope this helps as far as equipment.  I am sure there will be a bunch that will chime in from that area.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline blackadder

Re: trying to get started
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 01:30:15 PM »
Hello,

It has been a while since I surf fished in the AC area but when I did I fished in the canal between Brigatine and AC and did well on Fluke, Blues and a few Kingfish. I agree with Paul a 8ft rod is perfect that's also what I used with a medium sized (older model) Penn 104 spinning reel with 17lb mono line. I used squid/minnow combo for bait and if you hear from the locals that the kings are biting throw on a piece of blood worm to get them. The current can move pretty good in the canal so make sure you have 3 or 4 ounce sinkers with you to hold bottom.

Regards,

Chris

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-