Author Topic: Severe Weather Wednesday - Thursday  (Read 7276 times)

Offline Ms Fish

• Super Hero Member
Re: Severe Weather Wednesday - Thursday
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 10:28:23 AM »
Rain Rain go away!!!  thud Us fishermen wanna go out and play!!!!

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 10:56:02 AM »
Winds picked up significantly...  Lightning...  Thunder...  Starting to downpour...

Here we go!

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 11:37:31 AM »
Round 1 over...actually this was kind of left over from last night as it started close to 18 hours ago and moved across the country!  Rain will move out and cloudy conditions take over.  Hopefully enough to keep the sun away today!  SUN = BAD for instability in the atmosphere.  From here it is a nowcast.  I will have some forecast radar images and some new data on the severe weather parameters coming up!

Offline Capt. Carl

• New Jersey Fishing Guru
  • Sponsor
  • Super Hero Member
  • Hired Gun
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »
I'm not seeing a whole lot more to the west right now on radar....another batch to the south west looks like it will miss us maybe?
Capt. Carl DiMenna
100 Ton U.S.C.G Master

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 01:16:39 PM »
I'm not seeing a whole lot more to the west right now on radar....another batch to the south west looks like it will miss us maybe?

It's not always what you see...in fact in severe weather it's what you don't see!  The storms that rapidly fire and quickly intensify use the energy in the atmosphere and have it all to themselves.  The instability is still there, along with an upper level trough and high wind shear!  However, yes, most of the Severe Weather Risk has shifted south quite a bit.  This will not be a complete miss, as scattered and isolated severe storms could pop up or move in and generalized rain showers and thunderstorms will still take place this afternoon into tonight.  Sun coming out is not a good thing either. 

I will update below.

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 01:18:53 PM »
Wind is blowing up north

Will the sun come out tomorrow?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:23:59 PM by Still Running »
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Storm Prediction Center Update
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 01:47:32 PM »
The afternoon update from the Storm Prediction Center is out.  The squall line of storms that moved offshore today "stole" a lot of the energy and instability from the atmosphere.  This is a good thing, however it also means a bad forecast ;D.  The Convective Outlook has moved the Moderate Risk south into North Carolina, Virginia and Maryland.  Southern NJ is still in a Slight Risk with the rest of the state being in a Generalized Risk for severe weather.  Skies will remain mostly cloudy, with some sun.  This sun could be a bad thing leading to more instability.  There is still a risk of scattered or isolated severe thunderstorms statewide, especially in Southern NJ.  More widespread showers and thunderstorms are still possible later this afternoon through the overnight with heavy rains causing flooding conditions.  Any severe storms could cause damaging winds, hail, possible tornadoes, dangerous lightning and heavy rains.  This reduction in the Risk for the day is a good thing, as widespread severe weather is not likely.  However, it also means there will not likely be any Watches issued and any storms that are able to initiate, intensify and spin up will become immediately Warned!  So, still be alert, however chances are much lower than anticipated and showing just a couple hours ago!

Water conditions will not improve until the Low moves far enough off to the northeast.  This should happen sometime on Friday.  Depending when it moves off, will determine how quickly conditions improve.  Friday later afternoon to tomorrow night is beginning to look better.

Severe Weather Risk

Current Conditions

Forecast Radar at 6PM & 7PM

Model Severe Weather Data

CAPE (Convective Available Potential Energy) measures how much unstable energy is available enhanced by daytime heating

Energy Helicity Index is a composite model of CAPE and Helicity

Helicity is how much spin is in the atmosphere

Lifted Index is a measurement of how unstable air is by determining how much air is rising

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:06:16 PM by Pfishingruven »

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 01:48:43 PM »
Wind is blowing up north

Showers early clearing out in the afternoon TT^.  Weekend through Sunday Night looks good so far!  Need a couple weeks of High Pressure... ::)

Offline Still Running

• AKA-Rick(Dieselhp)
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
    • truck parts
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 01:58:12 PM »
Wind is blowing up north

Showers early clearing out in the afternoon TT^.  Weekend through Sunday Night looks good so far!  Need a couple weeks of High Pressure... ::)

t^
Fishing Sandy Hook and anywhere I can get on a boat.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all of my fishing tackle for what she thinks I paid for it!
Www.HNCTruckParts.com

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-