Author Topic: Heavy floro for bass?  (Read 8733 times)

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
Re: Heavy floro for bass?
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2008, 12:53:41 PM »
Capt Skip's a good man. Been out with him a couple of times. Def want to do an early season Cape May Trip if anyone's interested.

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2008, 01:42:58 PM »
Ok, here's my usual shot from left field.. Over the years I've had good success drifting baits for Bonito and Albies (and Blues when they get picky in the summer) using extra long shank Carlisle style hooks.. Unless a blue is hooked real deep, most of the time this keeps their choppers off the leader..While I prefer a short shank for the Tunoids, when there are a lot of yellow-eyed demons around I can still hide the Carlisle in a spearing and get bites.. May be worth a try for Bass when the bite-offs get bad..

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2008, 02:04:55 PM »

Lou's stance was he basically doesn't have to pay for that type of stuff, hooks, etc due to sponsers I imagine, but he said he would still use fluro even if he did have to pay. His view was that you never know the clarity of the water, especially near the bottom. Could be murky on top, clear on the bottom.

My feeling is that if you're willing to go the extra mile or in this case $$ to buy the best rod, reel, hook etc. you can afford why are you skimping on leader material.

On a side note, best day I ever had of bass fishing was with Capt. Lou in May of 2006. 4 of us live lined over 160 bass with nothing under #18. We all lost count when we each had 40 bass. It was the definition of drop & reel fishing. And the best part was that there was absolutely no other boat within a mile of us. In fact my avatar picture is from one of the bass that day.

I wonder who else was on that trip?

Tony Trigg and a charter captain and his mate from Cape May whose names escape me now.

grtn ;D -- and it was Capt. Skip and his buddy Rick. 

Hi Tony  grtn

I'm alittle slow today as I'm doing double duty today as my front desk girl is out so I'm doing all the secreterial work + treating patients. After taking a close look at your screen name for this sight I put 2 & 2 together.

That was some trip wasn't it  TT^ t^ TT^

Kinda puts a bad light on the trip we did earlier that day with Freddy on the Andrea's Toy. On any other day, Freddy's trip would have been considered outstanding but to go back out later the same day and do what we did is still hard to believe at times.

OK now that we (or should I say I) have totally hijacked this thread.....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 02:06:36 PM by Skolmann »

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-