Author Topic: Heavy floro for bass?  (Read 8718 times)

Offline eagleyankfan

Re: Heavy floro for bass?
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 02:36:11 PM »
I hate fluro.  Tried quite a few brands in numerous #test.  To me it seems to "bananna peel" much easier than mono and never seen a single improvement in catching when switching to fluro leaders. 5hrug

Some of my bigger bass have been on heavy mono leader, short 80# lengths and even wire leader.

Used the short wire leaders on livelined bunker and even flat-line bunker fillets from the boat.

Maybe in cleaner waters than in the NY Bight area it would be beneficial(of course for tuna) but for local fishing it's a waste IMHO. slt

Can I get an AMEN!!!  ;D

Fluro is over rated. 

Heavier mono helps too.  Too light of a leader, the bait spins more.  That's more attractive to a bluefish.

If there's proof somewhere that nobody caught bass until fluro was invented then maybe there's some credit to the story.  I think people did very well prior to fluro --- and still do well without it.

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 03:01:23 PM »
I hate fluro.  Tried quite a few brands in numerous #test.  To me it seems to "bananna peel" much easier than mono and never seen a single improvement in catching when switching to fluro leaders. 5hrug

Some of my bigger bass have been on heavy mono leader, short 80# lengths and even wire leader.

Used the short wire leaders on livelined bunker and even flat-line bunker fillets from the boat.

Maybe in cleaner waters than in the NY Bight area it would be beneficial(of course for tuna) but for local fishing it's a waste IMHO. slt

Can I get an AMEN!!!  ;D

Fluro is over rated. 

Heavier mono helps too.  Too light of a leader, the bait spins more.  That's more attractive to a bluefish.

If there's proof somewhere that nobody caught bass until fluro was invented then maybe there's some credit to the story.  I think people did very well prior to fluro --- and still do well without it.

Son give me all the Fluro you don't want  ;D

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 03:07:15 PM by Art Berkman »

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 03:13:18 PM »
My pops spent a good deal of time talking to Lou Grazioso at the SWS seminar (who I am looking forward to fishing with end of April w/ my pops and sister). One of the questions he asked about was fluro vs mono leader.

Lou's stance was he basically doesn't have to pay for that type of stuff, hooks, etc due to sponsers I imagine, but he said he would still use fluro even if he did have to pay. His view was that you never know the clarity of the water, especially near the bottom. Could be murky on top, clear on the bottom.

I believe my dad also spoke to Poveromo about it once and George basically said the same thing. It was worth it to him to use the fluro over mono, especially for leader shy type fish.

I will say this, plenty of fish were cuaght in the oceans, bays, rivers etc long before fluoro was ever invented.

Offline Duffman

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 03:19:28 PM »

People do very well using hand lines wrapped around soda cans too, but you wouldn't do that when something better is available, right??

Someone should do a side by side comparison, fluro vs mono this spring, see what happens.
   I'd volunteer, although I'm better at the fishing part than the actual catching part    rofla

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 03:20:03 PM »
It's not as expensive as it was when it first came out so I don't mind paying a couple of bucks more.

Even if it's a total waste, it's a drop in the bucket compared to what I (and probably most people on this board) spend on fishing.

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 03:28:14 PM »
My pops spent a good deal of time talking to Lou Grazioso at the SWS seminar (who I am looking forward to fishing with end of April w/ my pops and sister). One of the questions he asked about was fluro vs mono leader.

Lou's stance was he basically doesn't have to pay for that type of stuff, hooks, etc due to sponsers I imagine, but he said he would still use fluro even if he did have to pay. His view was that you never know the clarity of the water, especially near the bottom. Could be murky on top, clear on the bottom.

I believe my dad also spoke to Poveromo about it once and George basically said the same thing. It was worth it to him to use the fluro over mono, especially for leader shy type fish.

I will say this, plenty of fish were cuaght in the oceans, bays, rivers etc long before fluoro was ever invented.

Lou Grazioso know's his stuff.

I use Fluro & will continue to use it.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 03:45:33 PM by Art Berkman »

fly2fly

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 04:22:09 PM »
[glow=yellow,2,300]i got a 20# mono on my rod. is that good?[/glow]

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 04:22:17 PM »
Yep. Didn't realize he moved from AH to Keyport on the other side of bridge from me, so I should run into him quite a bit.

Def looking to fishing with him in April.
My pops talks to him quite a bit at all the fishing shows, etc, so it will be nice.

Clamming with one of the Raritan Bay/ Sandy Hook's finest bass fisheman.

Can't beat that.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 11:53:16 PM »
Go for it mboy.  Just make sure to fill us in on any hints, tips, or tricks you come away with.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline eagleyankfan

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 09:57:49 AM »

Lou Grazioso know's his stuff.

I use Fluro & will continue to use it.

When did Lou get a new boat?  ???

There are VERY productive Capt's that us Quatro as leader as well.

If you're comfortable and have faith in something keep using it.  One way is no more right than another.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 10:00:29 AM by eagleyankfan »

Offline bassnblues

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 10:17:37 AM »
Mboy, maybe you can get Capt. Lou to join us here...

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 10:22:51 AM »
I will mention it when I fish with him for sure.

My pops charted the boat for just the 3 of us, so I imagine I will have plenty of time to I disagree with him :)

Offline Art Berkman

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 10:32:23 AM »
Mboy, maybe you can get Capt. Lou to join us here...

Tony from time to time Lou uses  Chucksters True World  ;)

I was just on the Phone with Lou.

Lou likes to lurk but when it comes to posting he is shy.

I will forward Lou the link and if I twist his arm hard enough maybe just maybe he will chime in.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 10:33:58 AM by Art Berkman »

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 10:39:25 AM »
Tell him we are all super friendly here if not we have NJ HUNTER take out the sour apples.  rofla

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline mboy

• The Funky Munky
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2008, 10:47:22 AM »
Certainly looking forward to fishing with him in April.

Gonna be doin' the clamberto!

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2008, 11:13:43 AM »

My feeling is that if you're willing to go the extra mile or in this case $$ to buy the best rod, reel, hook etc. you can afford why are you skimping on leader material.

On a side note, best day I ever had of bass fishing was with Capt. Lou in May of 2006. 4 of us live lined over 160 bass with nothing under #18. We all lost count when we each had 40 bass. It was the definition of drop & reel fishing. And the best part was that there was absolutely no other boat within a mile of us. In fact my avatar picture is from one of the bass that day.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2008, 11:41:29 AM »
Sweet...

I am looking forward to a good year in the suds as well. 

IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline eagleyankfan

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2008, 12:01:35 PM »

My feeling is that if you're willing to go the extra mile or in this case $$ to buy the best rod, reel, hook etc. you can afford why are you skimping on leader material.

On a side note, best day I ever had of bass fishing was with Capt. Lou in May of 2006. 4 of us live lined over 160 bass with nothing under #18. We all lost count when we each had 40 bass. It was the definition of drop & reel fishing. And the best part was that there was absolutely no other boat within a mile of us. In fact my avatar picture is from one of the bass that day.

I wonder who else was on that trip?

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2008, 12:25:03 PM »

Tony Trigg and a charter captain and his mate from Cape May whose names escape me now.

Offline eagleyankfan

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2008, 12:48:56 PM »

Tony Trigg and a charter captain and his mate from Cape May whose names escape me now.

grtn ;D -- and it was Capt. Skip and his buddy Rick. 

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-