Author Topic: SEA SICK  (Read 7922 times)

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
Re: SEA SICK
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 09:29:15 AM »
You make some very good points Nick,but try telling that to some one already calling  RALPHHHHHH and its tooooo late.

Offline fishinfool

• Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 09:34:13 AM »
  hhppy   slt

Offline Sam3

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 09:39:32 AM »
go to the doctors and tell him you are going on a boat and he will give you a patch that goes behind your ear and it does work TT^the pills stay in you to long ;)

The way you drive a boat would make Christofer Columbus seasick.

;D

Offline Skolmann

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 10:05:09 AM »
dramamine will help, take one the night before, and one before you leave, but nothing is guaranteed.   
whs

Or you could get a prescription for Scopeamine from your family doctor. Take one of these the morning of your trip & you're good to go.

Few other tips;

-get a good night sleep before your trip.

-avoid caffine.

-avoid oily/greasey foods.

-if you start to feel sick DO NOT go into the cabin...stay out in the fresh air.

-take deep breaths in through your nose & out through your mouth.

-eatting ginger helps some people with motion sickness.

-and lastly, if you are going to blow chunks, yawn in technocolor, Ralph, hurl or lose your cookies make your you do it over the side & on the downwind side of the boat  ;D.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:14:04 AM by Skolmann »

Offline NJAquaman

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 10:10:03 AM »
At sea, avoid the following activities if you are subject to seasickness -   

1. Stay above decks. Limit your time below decks and in enclosed spaces. The head is the worst place for you.   
2. Avoid activities that introduce eye strain and concentration like reading and tying knots. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.   
3. Get fresh air. On warm day's you will probably be sitting outside the wheelhouse, but on cooler days when you are enjoying the warmth of the cabin heater, don't be afraid to stick your nose outside every few minutes for a breath of fresh air.   
4. Follow the same guidelines for eating as prior to sailing. Leave the greasy chicken home and limit the oil/vinegar on that hoagie. Drink lots of water.   

There are some days that no matter what you do, you start to get those pangs of motion sickness. Even I feel them on a regular basis, but I have just learned to recognize and cope with them. The first signs are usually a bit of a headache/dizziness and a dry mouth; you may also begin to feel overheated. Many people write off these signs and proclaim, "I'm fine", but now is the time for action to save your day. Here are the things I do when I start to feel less than perfect -   

1. Eat something, preferably a bread product. I usually have a bagel with me, or I'll eat half a sandwich. Having something in your stomach helps avoid the "queasy" felling that comes next.   
2. Drink water and/or a coke product. I never leave the dock without a bottle of coke. I like having gatorade or some other sports drink, as well, as that helps avoid the dehydration that comes with motion sickness.   
3. Have a life saver or an antacid tablet. The antacid tablet helps to settle the stomach some, I believe.   
4. Get cool by taking of the extra sweatshirt, sticking your nose out into the breeze, or putting an ice cube on the back of my neck to cool down.   

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 10:17:26 AM »
all of the above are great points.. here is another story that makes it a mental thing.

A few years back i took my cousin out to the mud buoy for Bluefish on my 23' Wellcraft.  It was horrible out there.. we shouldn't went, but I didn't care.. hence the name "Luna Sea".  Anyway, after about 45 minutes of not catching anything, my cousin said ... i'm getting sick.. if we don't catch anything in the next few minutes, lets go up the river crabbing... sure enough the poles started bending right after that.. For the next hour it was drop and reel bluefish..  During that time.. My cousin never got sick until we stopped catch..
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline PeggyLee

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 10:08:16 PM »
Try telling someone  its Mental when there Ralphing,and that will go as far as there cookies and milk.
That's like giving them a sausage and peppers sandwich. HeHeHe.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 10:10:14 PM »
sea sick is a little bit of everything.. thats why there isn't a sure thing for the cure.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 07:58:26 PM »

Offline Maritime Matt

• Sponsor
  • Maritime Skiff 20' Pioneer Pilothouse USCG Lic
    • TASKMARINE.COM
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 09:42:09 AM »
I would have to agree with Luna. When I'm running my boat no matter what the seas, I rarely get affected unless I did not get enough sleep. When I go out on a charter and its rough I may not get sick but sometimes its pretty close to it. Thats when I would turn it around and head in. Capt.Matt.

WWW.TASKMARINE.COM     Marine SERVICE, Parts & More

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-