Author Topic: Buying First Kayak  (Read 13622 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Re: Buying First Kayak
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 05:01:24 PM »
When I first read the story about the tragic incident at Budd Lake my thoughts went right to you.  It is a sad thing and my heart go out to the parents if the kids.

But to answer your question the best carrier in my mind would be the Thule brand.  I have one that actually lifts the boat up and makes it easier.  It is called the hulevator I believe.

They are not cheap but when the boat weighs a lot like the Hobies do it helps a lot.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Floatsup

• kayak sails
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 10:20:28 AM »
After taking in all the info the final decision has been made i will go to the show and stay off Craigs list, i will shop at the show and see what kind of deal i can find. is it better to go to the show on the last day so the vendors don't have to take back their stock. Or is it that you place the order there and they get it in and you have to pick it up from there shop later. or you get it that day while at the show?
Thanks to all for writing back to me.
Dale
I wouldn't stay off craigslist though or the internet just browsing. You can get some descent idea's and prices. The show would will let you check out all the yaks out there (or a majority). Plus there's really not too much of a rush considering where coming into the colder months now.

PS very sorry hear about the loss by you. Tragidy.

Floats Out

Offline Dalejam

• Fish-on
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 12:04:25 PM »
 cfzd ok, so i have more Questions, if iwas to spend we will say about $1,200.00 on a Hobie, what should i beable to get with it, any electronics, rod holders, etc...

Ayone want to give me some insight?

DALE
I'M working on fishing.

Offline Floatsup

• kayak sails
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 02:14:44 PM »
Your really gonna have to shop around for that. That outback you listed before I thought was'nt that bad of a price. The age of a yak IMHO should'nt be too much of an issue as long as its been well kept, and minor scratches. 2004 though is gonna be a little out of date with finding some spare parts for that mirage drive. They changed the setup in 2012 I believe to make it easier to get in and out of the boat. Also the drive mechanism was upgraded. Bottom line, Hobies are an expensive boat. There are a TON of mods you can do a yak though. My friend has a little electric trolling motor he uses. Then theres some I saw on youtube with 5 hp 4 stroke. But keep searching around. If you don't mind road trips, expand your search. You may even wish to get some roof racks now, if your very serious about finding one a bit out of the way. This way you can just pop out, and grab it if its all its claimed to be. Good luck with your quest though, and again the show is coming up. Its a new year dealers want to get some old stock out.

Cheers M8
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 02:16:17 PM by Floatsup »

Floats Out

Offline Dalejam

• Fish-on
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2013, 03:01:50 PM »
 clp I have looking for a roof top carrier for my honda accord. trying to get that done too. so when i go to the show if i get one i can take it that day. thanks for the info on the drive system, was not aware of the change in 2012. i dont want to be looking for parts that may be harder to find.

getting itchy can't wait till next month's SHOW.
I'M working on fishing.

Offline Dalejam

• Fish-on
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2013, 03:30:35 PM »
 ;D ok found another one on Craigslist anyone want to give me some feedback on what they think.
13 feet and I believe 33 inches wide
I'M working on fishing.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-