Author Topic: Buying First Kayak  (Read 13997 times)

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
Re: Buying First Kayak
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 04:55:39 AM »
IMO may be a little long if your hooked up with a fish and it decides to take a ring around the yak the line may hit the front and break off unless your using a 9'rod. Maybe the yak guys have a better answer that just seems to be a logical problem.
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 07:37:37 AM »
Well one thing to keep in mind when you buy a kayak is length & width....Then we need to know what kind of water we are using the kayak.

A Kayak that is longer & narrower is going to give you more speed and you can cut through water better.....Keep in mind the width of the kayak if its narrow its not going to be as stable in the water.

Then you need to think about you sitting in the kayak and how much room your going to have...... I'm 6 3" and 225 pounds so I just feel better being in something wide that if I lean over while pulling in a big fish I don't need to worry about going in the water.

My first kayak ever was a Hobie and it came with everthing I wanted..... when I asked the sales guy about fishing from the kayak he said....That's what its made for..... So I had my first fishing Kayak which I paid $800.00.

This was a great looking kayak on land....I spent more time looking at it from in the water.....There was no way that this big body could stay in this kayak.....every boat that past would just cause me to roll over.....Then in order for me to get back into the kayak I had to swim to land or a dock......I also lost a lot of gear with that kayak.

So for me short and wide was my best choice for a kayak.....I can fish any water around and be high and dry.....But most of all feel safe in my kayak while fishing.

Kayak-1
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline Dalejam

• Fish-on
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 08:11:52 AM »
Well i am back at it again this morning. i got a responce on  a hobie outback 2004. According to the person in "GREAT SHAPE". He said it comes with aanchor system, a fish finder with GPS. i am waiting to find out the length and width of it still. ball park price $1,200.00
My question is (what is it worth) color is brown.
Dale 
I'M working on fishing.

Offline Dalejam

• Fish-on
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »
Buy the time i purchase one i will have a plethora of information, so that one day i may be able to help someone else.

I hope to slt see a HOBIE in the horizon. cfzd
I'M working on fishing.

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 12:04:25 PM »
If your going to spend $1,200.00 then buy new..... You can get a brand new Ocean Kayak for $700.00 and the fish finder,anchor for another $120.00 so you spent $820.00 for a great fishing kayak and saved $380.00.

Offline Dalejam

• Fish-on
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 12:18:27 PM »
I understand what you are saying, but i am looking for a yak that will allow me to peddle then Constantly paddle. i want to spend more time fishing then working to go fishing. i am new to this and maybe my eyes are set to high. so since i am the new Guy, i ask should i stick to the peddle system or go with paddle.
Dale
I'M working on fishing.

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 06:15:45 PM »
I think that is going to be up to the person in the kayak.....Dale

Some will tell you paddle and some will say peddle....But if you have the money to spend then go with the Hobie Peddle power.

Kayak-1

Offline Dalejam

• Fish-on
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 11:06:30 PM »
ok here we go again,  5hrug the hobie kayak outback 2004 in great shape wanted $1,300.00. to much for such a older model.
going to visit some shore places this weekend, anyone have any good places for me to visit. or for me to drop a name. hopefully will find one soon.
DALE rgmn
I'M working on fishing.

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 12:47:05 AM »
Theres a place by me called dosils but may be a little far for you. Dicks has some dont know much about them though, If you see something there you like i know someone that may be able to help get you a deal
Its better to sit in a boat and think about God, than to sit in a church and think about fishing.

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 08:46:50 AM »
I agree .....Dosils on Rt.36 is a great place to check out if heading down from the North......Great bunch of people who will help....They also have some great winter sales.

Offline Dalejam

• Fish-on
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 09:40:01 AM »
What would be the chances of a used hobie?
guess I'll call and take a ride tomorrow. Any other places members can recommended.  msfsh
I'M working on fishing.

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 10:29:21 AM »
Jersey Paddler is South in Brick Town....Also keep in mind that PADDLE SPORT 2013 is March 22-24 at the Garden State Expo Center in Somerset New Jersey.

This way you can see what your getting in both used & new

Offline Dalejam

• Fish-on
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 10:50:12 AM »
Is that getting to close to the fishing season also i would think the price of Yaks would be going up by then versus winter, when most people are hibernating.
I'M working on fishing.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 11:26:25 AM »
Dale, you can do what you want but, waiting till March is not going to break the bank so to speak.  When I bought my kayak I waited and I am glad I did.  Paddle Sport is a fantastic venue to try different yaks, and ask question with all major manufactures all in one place.  There are tons of deals that are all under one roof.

Just for the fact that you can ask factory reps any thing that you want is a plus in of itself.  I saved money an a full package when I bought my Hobie there.

Another thing not to worry about is the up and coming season.  Unless you are going to fish the cold waters and risk the possibilities of going over in frigged water I would wait till you get some paddle time in or buy a suit that will keep you dry and warm. 

I know you are itching at the bit to get going but patience is key here.  Dave is a seasoned kayaker and I would advise you to listen to his input.  Hobies are great boats but expensive.  Like I mentioned before I have the Quest but learned that yes the boat is a great fishing platform there are drawbacks to us older and less agile guys.

I had to add outriggers to my boat to make it a stable platform for me to out of with out worries of going over (as I did a lot)in the beginning.  I love fishing but I also love photography and my equipment is very expensive.  I could not chance taking my equipment out and so the added expense of the outriggers were a necessity.

It is up to you but I am glad I waited for this show.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline BigAl13

• Super Hero Member
  • Fish out of Keyport
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 05:46:47 PM »
The best thing you can do is look find a yak that you like then shop around for a deal.

Offline Mr Limpett

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 06:07:19 PM »
"I wish I was a fish"
-Mr Limpet

Offline Dalejam

• Fish-on
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2013, 06:52:56 PM »
After taking in all the info the final decision has been made i will go to the show and stay off Craigs list, i will shop at the show and see what kind of deal i can find. is it better to go to the show on the last day so the vendors don't have to take back their stock. Or is it that you place the order there and they get it in and you have to pick it up from there shop later. or you get it that day while at the show?
Thanks to all for writing back to me.
Dale
I'M working on fishing.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 11:39:40 PM »
It does not matter too much.  I know when I bought my kayak they had to put some things on it at the Jersey Paddler so for me it was not a problem.  If you are buying a bare bones boat you can take it home right from there ans I guess many deals can be made but when it was all said and done I figured I saved close to 30% off retail price on my whole package. I went the first day.

Good Luck

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline PaPlumber

• Full Member of the Den
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 07:01:41 AM »
I used to own a Malibu Kayak. These units are generally a little more pricey but have some great features, larger load capacity, and are very stable. Be sure to get something with a good rudder system as it not only aids in navigation, very important in windy conditions, but also allows you to place the yak in a sideways position when fighting larger fish so they tire quicker and don't drag you miles down the beach before you land them. If you own a pick up I also have a mirage truck rack which is perfect for hauling yaks that I no longer have a use for that I will let go for $100.00. It fits a full sized truck with a 6 1/2' bed.

Offline Dalejam

• Fish-on
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 12:38:43 PM »
Thanks for the Info,
   I don't have a pickup, i have a Honda accord and i will be looking to get a rack system for the Honda, any suggestions who is better then who cost also.
So i can't wait for the show in Feb for purchasing my first YAK, Wife is not keen on the idea of going into the ocean fishing from a yak, so i promised her i would always go out with another person, So if anyone wants to meet me there one day for the show you can I,M ME or E-mail me and we can get the specifics off line. i was looking for someone with Knowledge to point out the good from the bad choices, Back to the other thing, so how do we get together to go out yaking, just post on here who ever shows shows?

PS i live across Budd Lake and i am filled with sorrow for the 2 kids who died in my town, please be safe everyone.
From a fathers perspective and Friend.
I'M working on fishing.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-