Author Topic: Island Beach State Park  (Read 2531 times)

Offline ERH

Island Beach State Park
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:32:27 AM »
Going to Island beach in November. New to surf fishing. I understand Stripers and Blues are in the surf there. Any suggestions on bait & tackle, rig setup, etc.

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Island Beach State Park
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 11:45:59 AM »
very nice to have you.  INstead of answering your question.. I will lead you to the forum.  There is a separate forum for surf fishing and IBSP reports.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Uncle Luna

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:01:04 PM »
Welcome, I'm sure the surf fishermen will help
you with your questions. Just give them time to
respond.
Member Team Luna Sea 4

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:11:18 PM »
Welcome grtn.  I don't know how much or how little experience you have?  This might be a bit long.  I will condense it as best I can :P.  Like LunaSea3 said, there is a separate forum.

Stripers and Blues will be in the surf pretty much everywhere in NJ.  So, you can look to fish in many other places also.  IBSP is a good place to fish.  If you will be walking on, any area is good to fish, but A10 has pretty convenient parking and access to the beach.  Anywhere on the beach, is a good place to fish.  You just need to read the sand and surf and pick good places to cast.  Read the thread Reading the Sand http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=3964.0.  It has all the info you could need to figure out what is under the water off the beach and how to read the sand and surf.  It has great photos of beach structure, explained very well.

Also, take a look at a recent thread Want to Try Surf Fishing http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=8915.0.  There was a lot of good responses in there.

As for tackle, you will need a 9-11 foot medium heavy power, fast action rod rated for anywhere from 12-30# line and capable of handling anywhere from 2-10oz.  If you are going to be primarily bait fishing, I would stick with a 10 foot rod medium heavy power, fast action able to handle 20# line and capable of throwing at least 8oz of weight.  You will need a reel to match that.  There are many brands and many price ranges to choose from.  As someone who has been shopping around for a new setup, IMO, the best product for the best price would be a Tica Dolphin Rod and the Daiwa Emcast or Emblem Pro Reel.  The Tsunami Airwaves are excellent rods as well and reasonably priced.  If this is something you are just trying out or will only be doing a few times a year, I think the best idea would be to get a little less expensive surf combo and you can go from there.

This time of year, you will also need outerwear to keep you warm.  I think waders are a must(unless you are a "polar bear").  They come in several different types and brands and can be a bit pricey.  There is a great thread on Waders http://njsaltwaterfisherman.com/forums/index.php?topic=3584.msg31381#msg31381 that you can read.  Scroll down a little and read the response posted by Bucktail.  That about sums up the different types of waders available.  Keep in mind, waders can be dangerous, so you have to be smart and aware of the beach and waves at all times.  A good waterproof or water resistant jacket or coat, hat and gloves are also a must in November.

Other tackle that you would need would be leaders, either 50# mono or fluro or 60# wire.  You can use a simple fish finder rig at 18-24" in length.  That is probably the best setup this time of year, but some people use hi low rigs as well!  You will need weights too.  Pyramid sinkers will probably hold the best and you will need them in assorted sizes, or whatever size your rod can handle.  If you buy the rigs, they will already be setup with hooks.  I always keep some swivels and clips on hand as well.  If you will be there after dark you will want a light of some type, a sand spike if you want to put the rod down and a knife and something to cut the bait on.  A good pair of needlenose pliers or something to get hooks out to is a must.

Baits this time of year can be clams, bunker, mullet, sand eels and american eels, live spot.  Lures work very well also in the fall through the winter.

Best advice though, is to check out the beach and your surroundings and be safe.  It sounds like a lot of stuff you need, but besides bait, I carry everything I need in an old army surplus gas mask bag that is retrofitted to be a surf bag.  Also, give everything a try and see what works for you.  You will find things you like and really dislike.  Experiment with different baits or lures.  Some days one thing works and the next it is a bust.  Most of all, have fun.  I am sure I missed some things and several others will post as well.  Feel free to ask any questions you may have.  I think everyone here, is more than happy to answer them and get you fishing!

Good luck!

TT^

***We need to make a Surf Fishing Basics or Surf Fishing Starter Thread that can be stickied ;D!

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 02:42:14 PM »
Welcome Aboard ERH,

Some good advice there and don't worry about not catching your first time out this type of fishing takes time to get the hang of but there is some very good information here as P-man posted.

That is a good idea P=man, maybe by tomorrow I will put the information into a good beginners article with pictures and other goodies, well maybe I can have it finished by Wednesday.

I have a couple of good ideas I would like to incorporate into the article.  Now you have me thinking that could be bad... t^

Again Welcome Aboard ERH, the best advice is to go slow and don't give up.  Once you get the basics you will start to have fun.

November is a great time to get interested in Surf Fishing the water is loaded with fish migrating all over the place.  But I have to warn you each year is different off the beach like last year it was one of the worst years for striped bass because their migration pulled the big schools off into deeper waters and the boaters had a blast.

This year so far it looks like we should be OK as the fun has begun already.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »
Obviously there is no rush, Paul!  Just something I thought would be useful...lots of people getting into and interested in surf fishing ;D!

TT^

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 04:11:59 PM »
Welcome to the site.  Nice to have you aboard.. 

Great Post Pf t^

Did we cover rigs and Weight eg.  Fish finders  etc.. ?

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 08:31:01 PM »
Welcome to the board ERH! ;D

P-man, that's a very good post.  Of course, many will have different ideas on the subject, but that's what makes it fun!

If a "basics" sticky is made, your post should definitely be included! t^

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 09:28:15 PM »
Go to Betty And Nick's in Seaside before your trip. it is right on the main drag, hard to miss. they will set you up with everything you need, full of advice as well.  Heres the website...
http://www.bettyandnicks.com/

go get em! TT^

GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 09:33:21 PM »
Yeah, that's what makes a place like this great!  You can pick up so much from so many different people and use what works best for you.  Variety is the spice of life.  Hey, my post referenced a lot of all ready posted info, including your "Wader" post.  I just drew a map of how to find it easily.  It can definitely be overwhelming, trying to weed through all of the info, when you aren't quite sure what you are weeding through!

I just think it is great that so much info is available like this.  I only learned from family members, which can leave you very limited on variety and got me stuck in some hard to break ways.  I am slowly trying new things and liking a lot of them!!

TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-