Author Topic: Need advice on reels  (Read 23680 times)

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Need advice on reels
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2009, 11:51:59 AM »
I agree w/ ya 100 % I got luck w/ mine I was at a dealer show and after talking w/ reps I was offered a deal I could never pass up ,I ordered almost a dozen reels on the spot.Other wise I wouldnt spend the money on them .

Sweet...love when you get something that is just too good to pass up ;D!

TT^

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2009, 08:58:22 PM »
I'm getting ready for my preseason shopping.  Looking to replace my cheap equipment with some new decent stuff.
I do mostly surf and some inlet/canal fishing.
For my main setups I'm thinking about the Slammer reel.  But for the secondary setups I'm trying to keep it more budget friendly.
How good or bad are the Captiva series?  And Cabela's Salt Striker reels?

Despite what others may say, slammers are amazing.
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2009, 02:51:56 PM »
Well I think I finally figured it all out and decided.  Thanks for all the input guys.
I just ordered a 7' Tsunami Airwave and a Penn Sargus for plugging and the inlet.
Also going to pick up a 9' Tica and a Penn Slammer for the surf.
And for a backup / the wife, a 7' or 8' Tsunami Trophy and Shimano Spheros or Sahara.
Did a lot of searching around and found some good deals online.  Got myself so confused trying to compare products and sellers, I thought my head was going to fall off.
Now I just need to spool them and wait for some warm water.  i can't wait to see the difference casting between this new stuff and my Wallyworld specials.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2009, 03:06:43 PM »
Great choices!  Nothing overkill, relatively affordable and quality setups that will last you some years to come and catch you some fish.  I think you will like all of your choices when you get to try them out.  CONGRATS!!

TT^ 

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2009, 11:39:12 PM »
Sounds like all good choices Chris.  I will be in the market for a new outfit myself but I think I will be building my rod and going with a Penn 460 Slammer.  I am looking at a 8 or 9' rod blank with a Med to Med fast action.  I will be trying a concept red design so even if I go Med. with all the wraps on the guides it will probably come out in the Med Fast category. 

Good luck with your new equipment.  I am sure you will see a big difference in the castability and the weight factor. 

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2009, 11:46:13 PM »
Eng5Lt,

Good luck on your choices.  I know you'll love that Airwave. t^  I have a feeling that if you do get that back-up combo, you'll probably wind up fishing more with that Spheros or Sahara than you will the Sargus. ;D

Paul,

I'm not sure what you mean about med. fast.  Do you mean moderate fast?  5hrug

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2009, 12:41:02 AM »
Sorry about the brain fart...

Yeah, as the concept rod will nave about 8+ guides on ot the action is greatly changed by the wraps and extra guides.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2009, 11:21:11 AM »
I gotcha Paul.  Sometimes talking about a rod's action can get a bit confusing, since sometimes people refer to action as the power (or stiffness) instead of where the rod bends.

Having said that, I don't think adding extra guides and wraps will change the action (as far as where the blank bends) from moderate to moderate fast. 

It should stiffen the blank somewhat resulting in a rod that feels heavier (in stiffness, not necessarily in weight).  So a medium power blank could result in a medium heavy action when you're done.

What blanks are you considering using?  I'll probably never get around to doing it, but I've been thinking about wrapping a 7' medium power, fast action rod for throwing Fin-S and small bucktails in the back bay.  If I do it, I'm going to use a St. Croix blank and (most likely) titanium framed SiC guides.  The finished rod should weigh less than 4 1/2 ounces! t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »
That's pretty cool.

I will probably wrap a Seeker brand not sure what model as they are coming out with a new set soon and I am waiting to see what they feel like.  But right now I am looking at a SU80 or SU90 models.  They are E Glass/Boron rods.  Grumpys will be getting some new blanks in soon so I guess I will wait a little longer for the new models to come out.

I am looking for something in a 8 - 9' with a moderate to moderate fast action.  It should handle anywhere from 1/2 to 3 oz lures and a line wt of approx. 15 - 30#.

I will be using a double cork grip and a graphite reel seat.  I am still not sure the type of guides I will use yet but it will be a black on black rod with not much in looks but then again looks don't catch fish.  The new rod blanks should let me load up and throw with the least amount of power.

I have built many rods both for myself and for a local shop that moved to Florida and I am in the process of getting all my gear out of closets and behind piles in the basement.  I hope everything still works.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2009, 02:09:26 PM »
That sounds good Paul.  I like a mod or mod fast for bigger rods and heavier baits. 

As far as colors, black on black is a nice understated look.  t^

I don't do fancy wraps on mine.  But I usually throw a few different color threads in the mix.  My 9' that I built over 15 years ago, has royal blue over gold.

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2009, 02:19:25 PM »
That is the way to go...custom rods, and even better is custom homemade rods.  The seeker rods are very nice.

I have a couple very old custom rods made by my Uncle's father...they were the best.  Now, they are big and bulky with corroding guides.  If you have the ability to make your own rod to your own specs...you can't beat it with any store bought rod.  I guess, the next best, would be a custom rod professionally done by a rod builder.  The price usually breaks the piggy bank, though.  I always find myself settling on a rod.  It never is exactly how I like it.  I end up modifying every rod I have in some way.

TT^

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2009, 06:55:56 PM »
My father used to make do his own rods, but that 30 years ago.  All his equip. and knowledge is long gone.  he still has a couple of the rods he did, but they haven't been used in so long I'm afraid to try them and have it break.

I went today to pick up another rod I was planning to get.  But I saw a few other I liked and couldn't decide.  i guess I'll just have to buy them all.....yeah right.

Bucktail - i never expected to see a Shimano reel on one of your rods   ;)

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2009, 02:42:24 AM »

Bucktail - i never expected to see a Shimano reel on one of your rods   ;)

Ha ha!  Can you tell from my posts that I'm a fan of their reels?

Offline deathray

• Be Happy Gone Fishing
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2009, 08:47:12 PM »
cant go wrong with the penn slammers. Also have found ebay great for saving money on new rods and reels just replaced all my stuff.
Deathray

Offline HK27

• The Young Salty
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2009, 10:00:51 PM »
You should have gotten a calcutta if you wanted an all-purpose reel for saltwater.  However, you can't go wrong with penn.
Shimano For Life!

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2009, 10:09:44 PM »
I do use penn reels for the surf, But I do use the very ugly looking US reel on the kayak, This is one very tuff reel for the money.... That hold up great year after year with no problems... I trust this reel.... salt water does nothing to it.....
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2009, 10:56:07 PM »
Ebay is saving me a huge amount in all this buying I'm doing.  The 560 slammer goes for $139 everywhere else, I'm getting it for $107 from an Ebay vendor.  Similar savings for some of the other stuff I'm getting. 
I'd love to give the local shops the business, but I gotta look out for my wallet.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2009, 11:11:18 PM »
Hi Chris,

In these times you have to look out for #1.  You could take the spool into a local store for line and still be supporting them with out them knowing you bought the reel elsewhere.

BTW that is a fantastic price.  I might be looking for a 460 Slammer to go with an 8 - 9 foot rod I am thinking about.

I see your beach buggie # is up there but it is still below 1000.  t^

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2009, 11:18:28 PM »
That's what i was planning on since this will be my first time with braid.  planning to have Grumpy's spool them for me.  When I figured out the prices, it's only about $2 more for them to spool it then for me to buy the same amount of line.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2009, 11:21:45 PM »
I still think Grumpy's is still running their 20% off line.  If not check out Betty & Nicks I know they are having sales as well.
IN GOD WE TRUST

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-