Author Topic: Need help with installing a new gas gauge.....  (Read 8653 times)

Offline Sam3

Need help with installing a new gas gauge.....
« on: January 08, 2009, 01:47:54 PM »
I have a Yamaha fuel management system on my Grady right now, no fuel gauge.
I would like to install one because the last thing I want to do while fishing, is math!

I'm looking to do this myself. Any input or recommendations as to where I can learn about intalling this?

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
Re: Need help with installing a new gas gauge.....
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 02:01:33 PM »
 nts nts nts nts ;DDam I have one in my boat . I think it is broken it is on E TT^ It might take more then a fuel gauge. You might need to install a float if you gas tank is set up for one . I can't belive in that size boat there is not a gas gauge. Sounds like a big job. Good luck t^
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline rugman

• Super Hero Member
  • ARTY'S CARPET SERVICE
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 08:33:23 AM »
Bump ;D
Arty's Carpet Service.

For all your carpet needs RUGMAN7092@OPTONLINE.NET

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 11:57:35 AM »
Sam,

I have had both the gauge and Yamaha fuel management system on my boat. I have three fuel tanks, each with it's own sending unit. I have a switch on my console to tell the gauge which tank to check to show how much is in the tank. The fuel guage works for about a year or two and then the sending units needs to be replaced.

I have the Yamaha fuel management system also on the boat. It is a great thing to have. Tells me how much fuel I am burning an hour, etc. More importantly it tells me how much I have burned since I last reset the unit.

I reset the unit everytime I fuel up. I know the capacity of my tanks and the unit tells me how much I used. Not much math needed to figure out how much fuel I have left in the tank and when I need to refuel.

I have not replaced the sending units in several years now, therefore, my fuel gauge does not operate. It is not something that can be relied on to give an accurate reading. That is my experience anyway.

As far as you not having a fuel gauge. I am betting that there was a guage installed and the fuel management system gauge was put in it's place. They probable have the same size hole for the gauge. If that is the case, you should have a sending unit mounted in your fuel tank. I would also bet that the sending unit no longer works properly and that is why it was replaced with the fuel management system, which, by the way, is the same thing as a fuel flow-scan unit, just a different name.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 12:14:13 PM »
easiest:

top off and keep er topped off

we don't need no stinkin' gages

the fuel thieves will love you

Offline Sam3

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 12:38:25 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I didn't know you needed to replace the sending units as often as that for the fuel gauge.

This was the first year (getting to know) my boat, including a fuel management system. Topping off each time out is what I was doing too.

Oh....wb........they have to walk past your boat before they get to mine.  ;D

Offline wb

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 01:27:05 PM »
i know  nosmly
i still can't believe i BURNED all that fuel...

Offline DarthBaiter

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 02:32:06 AM »
In my last boat, I put in a Navman fuel flow gauge. The best thing I did for that boat. It gave me very accurate readings of how much I burned and how fast I was burning it.

When I got my new/old boat last year, the first thing I did was add a fuel management system. This time I went with a Lowrance LMF 200 and it's even better than the Navman I had.  the Lowrance is tied into my GPS and my fuel line and it tells me my GPH, MPG, Fuel burned, and fuel left.  I find it a great tool in helping me use my fuel a lot more efficiently.

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 03:50:52 PM »
In my last boat, I put in a Navman fuel flow gauge. The best thing I did for that boat. It gave me very accurate readings of how much I burned and how fast I was burning it.

When I got my new/old boat last year, the first thing I did was add a fuel management system. This time I went with a Lowrance LMF 200 and it's even better than the Navman I had.  the Lowrance is tied into my GPS and my fuel line and it tells me my GPH, MPG, Fuel burned, and fuel left.  I find it a great tool in helping me use my fuel a lot more efficiently.

Darthbaiter, do you run  single or twin's and how many tanks do you have. I run twins and have 2 tanks for each engine.I have a Lowrance chartplotter and was looking into a fuel management system and was thinking about the lowrance systems they put out. Did you install it yourself and if you did was difficult.
Thanks Mark
Mark

Offline DarthBaiter

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
I did the install my self.  I have a single with a single tank, but that doesn't make it harder or easier other than having to do two for a double engine. 
The fuel flow sensor goes on the fuel line right after the filter(racor or yamaha), and then you run the electric wire from that to the gauge and set the gauge.  If your Lowrance is pretty new it might h ave the software for tjhe fuel flow, all you would need than is the sensors you need...EP-60 or something. 
Oh, if your Lowrance is NMEA2000 compatable, it should be a breeze to do, I had to cut and splice to connect it to my Ray GPS, but other than that it's very straight foward....unless you have diesel...  ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:33:16 PM by DarthBaiter »

Offline wingshooter

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 04:39:51 PM »
Shouldnt be too hard to do,,, first u need to see if your tank has a sensor, or a float or something to let it know where the fuel level is at,,, if you have it then half the battle is won,,,,             i can help you but it will cost 1 millllllllion dollars

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 06:24:01 PM »
Darthbaiter, So you were able to use the extra lead wire from your existing GPS NMEA2000 antenna to send a signal to your fuel monitor??
 I used that lead wire for my VHF DSC but I see no problem hooking up 2 accesories to it. I hate adding holes in the boat. I would like to add a fuel Monitor too.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 07:24:40 PM »
I did the install my self.  I have a single with a single tank, but that doesn't make it harder or easier other than having to do two for a double engine. 
The fuel flow sensor goes on the fuel line right after the filter(racor or yamaha), and then you run the electric wire from that to the gauge and set the gauge.  If your Lowrance is pretty new it might h ave the software for tjhe fuel flow, all you would need than is the sensors you need...EP-60 or something. 
Oh, if your Lowrance is NMEA2000 compatable, it should be a breeze to do, I had to cut and splice to connect it to my Ray GPS, but other than that it's very straight foward....unless you have diesel...  ;D

Thanks alot I have a Lowrance 7200c and its NMEA2000, so i can  set and reset it through the chartplotter and have no need to buy the gauge?  I will be looking into the Lowrance systems then. I wasn't sure if flow scan was a better component. I run zukes and I think they also have their own fuel flow sytems.Thanks alot again.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 07:36:21 PM by Stray Cat »
Mark

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 07:31:14 PM »
Shouldnt be too hard to do,,, first u need to see if your tank has a sensor, or a float or something to let it know where the fuel level is at,,, if you have it then half the battle is won,,,,             i can help you but it will cost 1 millllllllion dollars

Thanks, I put 2 new reed  float switches in last year and am going to put the other 2 in this year. 1 million  ???. Is that 1 million for each engine or for the complete job  ;D
Mark

Offline BeN F

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 07:54:41 PM »
for the Lowrance LMF 200 do you have to have the chartplotter to go with it or can it work with others or by itself

Offline DarthBaiter

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 10:51:01 PM »
It can work by itself, but you would not get the MPG info. You would still be able to tell your fuel level and GPH.  but having that MPG really helps saving gas. It can let you put the rpm right where you get the best miles to gallon ratio.  t^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-