Author Topic: Scup Board Increases TAL to 11.18 Million Pounds for 2009 Fishery  (Read 1885 times)

Offline The Broken One

• Super Hero Member
The following is a news release from the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission:

Alexandria, VA - The Commission's Summer Flounder, Scup, and Black Sea Bass Management Board approved an increase to the 2009 scup total allowable landings limit from 7.84 million pounds to 11.18 million pounds, with the commercial quota revised to 8.4 million pounds and the
recreational harvest limit revised to 2.6 million pounds (after the research set aside was  educted). This increase is consistent with that taken by the National Marine Fisheries Service for federal waters.

The Board's action is based on the results of a recent review of the scup stock assessment which indicates that the scup resource is rebuilt (population estimated to be 130 percent of its target biomass) and overfishing is not occurring. The newly estimated allowable harvest, or
maximum sustainable yield (MSY), is also significantly higher than previously estimated and represents a potential for greater harvest levels in the future.

While the Northeast Fisheries Science Center's Data Poor Workshop, which conducted the review of the scup assessment, found the new long-term estimate of maximum MSY to be reasonable given the historical evidence from the fishery, it recommended that managers consider a cautious approach in setting quotas. The peer review panel advised that "rapid
increases in quota to meet the revised MSY would be unwarranted given uncertainties in recruitment. A more gradual increase in quotas is the preferred approach given the uncertainty in the model estimates and stock status."

Given this advice, the states chose to maintain their recreational management measures for the 2009 fishery. For specific state measures, please contact your state marine fishery agency.

For more information, please contact Toni Kerns, Senior Fishery Management Plan Coordinator for Management, at (202) 289-6400 or tkerns@asmfc.org.
 slt
"When the game is over, the kings and the pawns go back in the same box"

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Scup Board Increases TAL to 11.18 Million Pounds for 2009 Fishery
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:45:15 PM »
That sounds like some good news. An increase in quota instead of the steady decrease they typically have.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 06:13:16 PM »
Well at least we can fish for porgies this year :P!

TT^

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 07:48:23 PM »
I eat alot of stuff, but porgies are NOT on my list. nosmly :P  <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-