Author Topic: yo...  (Read 8469 times)

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
yo...
« on: February 05, 2009, 05:01:03 PM »
I just signed on. Ill try to keep you guys up to date with what is going on around Atlantic City as soon as the water temps hit 47 degrees or so.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
Re: yo...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 05:13:14 PM »
Nice to have you aboard Barrell. Anything you can add, please feel free to do so. Any questions you have, just ask.

Looking forward to your input.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 05:31:50 PM »
Thats what we needed a South report.... If I can help the same let me know   t^

The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 06:26:30 PM »
welcome
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 06:53:18 PM »
Yo back! ;D  Welcome Barrell. t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 11:38:46 PM »
Welcome Aboard barrel,

Nice to see you over here.  I have seen you on another site and I asked you a few questions last year regarding a kayak that a slightly overweight (no comments either guys), over 60 guy with 2 hip replacements can get into and use for a few hours at a clip.

I think I even directed you to a manufacturer in Texas.  The name of the maker and sales all wrapped up in one is Slo-Mo Boats. 

http://www.slomoboats.com/

I was looking for opinions so that is why I asked for your advice.  I really would love to get something a little less expensive though.  The one with the equipment I needed to make it comfortable was slightly over 2 grand.

Any thoughts?

Again Welcome Aboard.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 03:25:47 PM »

Paul.... Some of the new kayaks today may just work for you.... that place in Brick Town on RT 70 will let you test run some yaks before you buy them...... If you ever want to use mine let me know.....
We can drop in over on bay Ave.......

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 10:10:59 PM »
How are your hips. Most all the oldtimers are on the Hobie foot propelled now. One guy 65 years old told me he did 9 miles his first time out on the Hobie. If your hips never heeled well you may need to stick with paddling. The 36 inch wide fish and dive from Cobra is a great choice but heavy to transport on the roof. Pickup truck no problem.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 01:27:59 AM »
Hey guys, Dave I guess when the water and weather warm up a bit I will take you up on that offer.

Barrel, the hips are pretty good but my problem is that I have to keep my legs at least 90 degrees or less.  In other words my thighs have to be even with or below my belt.  That is the reason for the higher seat.

I am thinking on going over to Jersey Paddler to see their boats.  The Ocean Kayak Big Angler seems to be wider as well as the seat looks like it rides higher than most.  That is why I was looking at the Slo-Mo boats.  The design looks like it would work and talking to the designer himself he will set the seat a little further aft so I have more room to straighten out my legs.  But like I mentioned that boat is well over 2 grand for my set up.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 09:17:13 AM »
A high seat is not always a good thing . Raising your center of gravity can make the kayak very unstable unless the hull is designed to be extra stable. The Hobie will work as you never bring your knees above your hips. It may actualy strenghthen your leg muscles taking a lot of stress of the hip replacement. Most guys recomend you dont buy a kayak you havent test paddled. This may be even better advice for you because of your specific needs. There is a new Hobie model comonig out in April that we arent alowed to give specifics on until it is introduced but I can say it will be the big dudes favorite.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 11:48:27 PM »
Yeah I can see how some kayaks can be very unstable bit this particular boat has stabilizers on both sides and I was told it was extremely stable in a light chop while standing (not that I would stand).

The stabilizers come off as they are out board and make the boat even wider than it already is.

I will not be jumping into something yet as I want to make sure I will in fact be comfortable using it so I am looking forward to seeing the new model.  Keep me posted.

Thanks Barrel.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline DAK

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 12:31:44 PM »
Good to see you here Barrell. By all means please keep us posted on what is happening around Brig. Those are my home waters, although I have only been yaking them for 3 yrs, so I still have alot to learn. Thanks!

dak
This boy is about as sharp as a sack of wet mice...

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 01:14:42 PM »
I only fish at night and can never find anybody else taht wants to go at night so keep in touch.

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 07:47:23 AM »
Hey Barrel, Welcome Aboard. I also fish these South Jersey waters... Brigantine to Longport mostly. I also work the nightshift, so I am used to staying up all night. I got out last year more in the night than I did in the day. I am startin to see a pretty good following on this site for us Southern Folks. Last Year I think I was one of about 3 or 4.  5hrug Anyway, I am always lookin for a fishin bud. I don't have a Kayak, so I am ground bound. I was gonna pick one up this year, but after buyin the new bach buggy, not so sure if I will be able to swing a kayak. Do strictly fish the yak, or do you surf fish also?
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 08:39:31 AM »
Hey Barrel, Welcome Aboard. I also fish these South Jersey waters... Brigantine to Longport mostly. I also work the nightshift, so I am used to staying up all night. I got out last year more in the night than I did in the day. I am startin to see a pretty good following on this site for us Southern Folks. Last Year I think I was one of about 3 or 4.  5hrug Anyway, I am always lookin for a fishin bud. I don't have a Kayak, so I am ground bound. I was gonna pick one up this year, but after buyin the new bach buggy, not so sure if I will be able to swing a kayak. Do strictly fish the yak, or do you surf fish also?
There is something about surf fishing that I just cant do it. So no, But I kayak fish almost every night after the water hits 48 degrees and I have plenty of extra kayaks if you want to come along. I laso have a 21 foot boat that I foolishly run up to 50 miles offshore all summer long.

Offline kayak1

• only at night
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 08:43:29 AM »
Im in for some night fishing for sure.... dont mind fishing new waters at all....

Offline seanr8w

• Can't Cast..Can't Fish.. I guess I Caught a 22
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 02:25:12 PM »
There is something about surf fishing that I just cant do it. So no, But I kayak fish almost every night after the water hits 48 degrees and I have plenty of extra kayaks if you want to come along. I laso have a 21 foot boat that I foolishly run up to 50 miles offshore all summer long.
LOL, thats alright! So far I have proven that I can't surf fish either rofla I will definately take you up on that Kayak offer too. I would love to give it a try before I invest the money for one of my own. I look forward to hearing your reports!  t^
"Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a dotted line. He caught every other fish....."
Steven Wright

Offline blynch

• Regulator 23FS "Say When"
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 05:24:09 PM »
I just signed on. Ill try to keep you guys up to date with what is going on around Atlantic City as soon as the water temps hit 47 degrees or so.

welcome fellow barner, catch em up!
GOT UM'
Regulator 23 "Say When"
Check out my video reprorts and other useful info on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV5WhrcFHzPsIpcTkCmksWg?feature=watch

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 10:19:10 PM »
Fished last night with one of my newest Hobie customers. Water was only 42.6 under the bridge on an outgoing tide. We saw no bait but did see afew closemouthed marks. Nice to get out for the first time. It was my customer Pats first kayak, first nightime in a yak, and first time in a kayak.  He had a blast...

Offline DAK

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 03:10:09 PM »
Thanks for the post Barrell. I took our oldest out to Corsons early Sun morn and tried some clams from the bank. Water was 41. Then we went to the rt 9 bridge at Beesleys Pt. Not a touch, but it was good to get out. Pretty soon now...
This boy is about as sharp as a sack of wet mice...

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Bill Chaser Charters

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-