Author Topic: Electronics  (Read 3078 times)

Offline PHIL

Electronics
« on: February 09, 2009, 08:35:19 PM »
Hey, I'm also putting a Garmin 545s unit onboard as well. Does anyone have the g2 blue chart card where you can see in 3D? It's around 300 bucks. Is it worth it? slt

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Electronics
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 08:49:34 PM »
i think you can't go wrong with it.  You have to spend the money for that regular card anyway.
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Stray Cat

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 02:23:46 PM »
Hey, I'm also putting a Garmin 545s unit onboard as well. Does anyone have the g2 blue chart card where you can see in 3D? It's around 300 bucks. Is it worth it? slt

Call Matt at Task Marine he's a sponsor here and might be able to get you a better price for that chip.
Mark

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 03:17:24 PM »
I don't have the Garmin, but I sprung for the navianoics platinum chip for my Raymarine E that offers 3d charting.. While it is pretty cool, honestly, IMO the 3D chart is not something that I could'nt live without, nor has it really helped me catch more fish..  I would look at the difference in $$ between standard chart and 3d and decide if it is something you want/need.. That $$ may be better spent elsewhere, like on Satellite weather.. I really love the Sirrius on my Ray.. Just my .02

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 06:15:52 PM »
Sirius Weather can save your A$$.  But so can the VHF weather channel alerts.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline PHIL

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 07:59:35 PM »
I was looking into that satelite weather that can come right across my garmin but, the service is like 30 bucks a month. right? My garmin will except it but if thats the price then I probably won't get it.

Offline sealife

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 08:04:47 PM »
It is $30 a month but you can get a 6 month subscription.  I am undecided on whether it is worth it for inshore.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 08:16:47 PM »
I go with the VHF Weather channel alerts. I have my radio on scan mode, and always keep my back up handheld VHF on and tuned to the weather channel.  Helped me out twice last season when un predicted storms arose while I was out on the water.A couple of $30 payments and you have yourself a back up hand held. Well worth the money.  <'((((><
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline The Broken One

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 08:26:04 PM »
It is $30 a month but you can get a 6 month subscription.  I am undecided on whether it is worth it for inshore.

think of all the junk ya spend 30 bucks on in a month in the summer....

Offshore...Inshore..... IT'S WORTH IT  t^
"When the game is over, the kings and the pawns go back in the same box"

Offline Treebeard

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 12:15:12 PM »
I was looking into that satelite weather that can come right across my garmin but, the service is like 30 bucks a month. right? My garmin will except it but if thats the price then I probably won't get it.
There is a monthly charge, but I not sure of the exact the price.. I added it to my music subscription, so weather addition is at a discount.. I agree that VHF alerts can give you a heads up, but being able to actually see cells and where they are and direction they're moving has allowed us to dodge trouble a few times.. Besides, we are talking optional gadgetry here, so the Wx is  just my more favorite gadget  TT^

Offline Hunter 2

• RFA-NJ Member
  • Super Hero Member
  • 36' Topaz Express "Hallie Loren"
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 09:01:57 PM »
I agree that Sirius is better too. But if  money is an issue and you don't go offshore. You are never too far from a safe port. My units are not Sirius compatable but I have a Jensen radio with a Sirius music subscription and I love it.
Eddie "Hunter 2"
36' Topaz "Hallie Loren"    Charter boat sailing from Wagners Marina, Keyport NJ

Life is short, Fish Hard.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
The subscription to the weather is $30 a month. You can get a 6 month or yearly subscription or just monthly.

There is also I believe a $50 start up fee.  :P
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-