Author Topic: Outboard info  (Read 1859 times)

Offline PHIL

Outboard info
« on: February 11, 2009, 03:21:08 PM »
Hey guys thanks for all of your responses to my questions. Before I buy this boat with the 2004 yamaha 150 2 stroke on it. Like I said it was winterized by a Marina in 2005 and hasn't been used since. It has somewhere around 60 hours on it. I am planing on having the following work done to the motor. Compression test with new spark plugs $200.00, Fuel filter and o-ring installed $70.00, new water pump installed $330.00, 2 thermostats installed $160.00, fuel drained and system cleaned out $250.00, and check of the lower unit oil and seals. I know it's alot of $$. I will be learning how to do these things on my own after this. What do you think. Should I take it up the --- or what? grtn

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
Re: Outboard info
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 03:24:49 PM »
the more you do know, the less you have to do later.. and learing it is the best way to save money in the future
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Salty Dog

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 03:42:41 PM »
All of this work is insurance for a trouble free season.It'll give you peace of mind,knowing it was done by a qualified mechanic and most is just routine stuff that you would do anyway.

Offline Fishin Dude

• Super Hero Member
  • FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 08:41:24 PM »
Buy a manual on the motor and study it during the season ,and as you become familiar with the motor,and if you are willing to learn,you can start with simple things like an oil & filter change and move on from there. Before you know it ,you will have worked up to water pumps and beyond. The more you know about your motor,the better, the knowledge just might help get you home someday, and additionally, the money you save can be spent on Whiskey & Women, or Bait & Tackle. Good Luck. <'((((>< 
I've spent most of my life fishing, the rest I've just wasted     <'((((><

Offline Reckless

• AKA Frankeu
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 06:01:45 AM »
My opinion I wouldnt pay for a compression test. I wouldnt agree to buy it until I have seen the test results. If you buy it first and there is an issue what then? What about the batteries? Original? Rest of the items I agree with.
Just my opinion.  grtn

Offline CapBob

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 06:05:54 AM »
A Tad high pricing on the Compression Test/Spark Plugs....Doing a Compression test is no big shakes.

I would also have a Leak Down Test done on the cylanders, a lot of times that will pick up a problem a compression test doesn't.

You would think if they are selling it a lot would be already done to make sure the engine is in good shape.

It's a buyers market!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-