Author Topic: Hobie Pro Angler  (Read 12689 times)

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
Hobie Pro Angler
« on: February 20, 2009, 12:11:51 AM »
Hi Barrell,

I was just on the Hobie site and was looking at the Pro Angler and it looks very interesting.  The only thing is that the Mirage unit is not for me, can you get that boat with out it?  I will never get my legs to work like that again. 

The seat looks high enough and the boat deep enough for my legs to be okay.

What would something like that go for?

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline kayak1

• only at night
Re: Hobie Pro Angler
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 07:35:03 AM »
Hi Paul..... Jersey Paddler is having there show this year..... You should go and see all the different kayaks out today.... its nuts what they have
Dave
The areas I fish are the ones you said where a wast of time

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 07:45:56 AM »
You might be suprised at how easy the mirage drive is to operate. I have sold them to  guys in their mid 70's. Guys with hip and knee replacements. They not only can operate the drive but they comment later how much better their handicap is feeling. The higher seat position on the new Pro Angler may make it even easier. They are not suposed to be on the market until April but Hobie sometimes gets things done before the proposed date. The Somerset show is for only one dealer from Brick. He wont let any other dealers in the show.
http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/models_proangler.html

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 08:19:32 AM »
Hi Dave and Barrell,

I say the show on Jersey Paddlers site last night. The show is March 27 till the 29th.  I will defiantly be going up.  Do they sell stuff just like at thher shows?

The Hobie Mirage Pro Angler seems like the way for me to go so far in a production boat.  I was just wondering about the price tag it has to be up there close if not over 2 grand.  I saw the Hank Parker video on the Hobie site and how easy it seems to operate but I guess till I try it I won't know how it will feel.

Thanks guys

I just don't want to buy a high priced item and then not be able to use it especially in this economic climate today.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 10:15:49 AM »
Do not ever buy a kayak with out demoing it on the water. And make sure someone goes along that is knowledgable about the product to answer your million questions as the come into your head. I might be stepping out of bounds here but I do free demos everyday on the bay in Brigantine. I also am looking for an art instructor to help me understand, perspective, color, and shadows. My stained glass work is getting pretty good as I am very skilled at the mechanics of cutting and grinding but I lack the art skills to take it to the next level.

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 10:53:31 AM »
Hmmmmmm, sounds like the beginning of what could become a great barter opportunity.  TT^  chrz
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 01:23:55 PM »
Point well taken.  I have waited this long I can wait till things warm up a bit to try things out.

As far as painting goes what kind of paints are you using?  Acrylic I would think.  I have never painted on glass but I know what you are talking about.  The paint has to be semi transparent to allow light to pass through but still hold its color.

One of the best pieces of equipment I tell beginners to pick up is  a color wheel there is so much information on that little wheel you can't imagine.

Perspective is another story.  Do you draw your scenes out before on a piece of paper and them transfer it to the glass?  If so I can show you how to use vanishing points to get your perspectives right and then once you start to get use to seeing in perspective it will come naturally.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 02:31:44 PM »
No, I dont paint. I do mosaics. The 3-d stuff I dont need drawing skills for but still need to understand colors and shading. The flatwork I do I sketch out first and need all three skills.

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 02:47:42 PM »
I know that stained glass with just pure glass and I have also seen stained glass that has been painted to bring out the subtle differences between pure glass and colored glass that has a paint on the surface to bring out the shading and character to objects.

For instance the sew weed in your piece if you were to use a slightly darker colored paint and paint a line to match the waving action of the plant in other words put the vain down the middle and paint a green color say on the left side of the leaf a color between the green you have and the darker green of the vain the plant would probably pop.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 09:51:50 PM »
The stripers were from my first year. I now have a diamond ring saw and can cut thin strips of glass in complicated shapes. Thats how I had highlights now. Painting glass is considered cheezy and not aceptable in the circles I now hang my hat in. Everything on the stripers and sailfish were cut with an old fashioned wheeled glass cutter. So I guess you dont give art lessons?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 09:55:43 PM by barrell »

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 10:57:42 PM »
Awesome!!

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 11:16:58 PM »
I don't teach per say I am an artist and have been painting for close to 20 years.  My choice of materials is oil paints on canvas.  I can teach you the basics of drawing and how to view in perspective and color combination that work to complement one another.  I don't charge for this and never will I get a kick out of seeing people go from not knowing a thing about holding a brush to become proficient enough to try things on their own.

Your medium is quite different tnam mine but if you learn to see in perspective you sooner or later will be able to convert that to freehand sketching.

By the looks of it all you need is a little tweeking and with your equipment you should be able to take that next step to a higher level.

Here are some of my latest paintings just completed within the last month.  The color might be just a little off from the originals which are 16 X 20's.
Like I try to tell my daughter who is an art education major you have to practice, practice, practice.  Your work is great and I know you will be able to find that level of proficency you are looking for.  If you need help I would be glad to help in any way I can.

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 07:13:09 AM »
Great looking skies. Do you have any striper paintings. How about trying a kayak fishing design that I can make into a t-shirt?

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 08:59:22 AM »
Believe it or not I only have one painting of a striper on my web site.  If you click on the small banner below for Mainland Studio it will take you to my site, on there are a number of my paintings.  The 2 above are my latest works.

I will be looking for more ideas and that is one of them but I have to feel right about painting something otherwise it will normally be started and then takes me forever to complete it.  I must have at least 15 or so canvases that are just piled up not finished because I got bored with them.

But then there are the paintings that I have painted in a couple of hours that I truly love.  As is the case with the paintings above.  The first one above I painted in about 3 hours and the bottom one was painted in about 2.  That is not counting the prepping of the painting. 

If I am doing a commissioned painting it is a different story I will take my time to make sure the client gets what he or she is paying for.  For instance I did a painting for a good friend who is a partner in a B&T locally where it took my roughly 3 months to get it just right.  The painting was of him on the north jetty of IBSP with a wave just about to crash over him fighting a big striper.  With his permission I will post it once I get it back to varnish.  I let him take it home to enjoy while the paint cures.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 09:18:46 AM »
Paul,

You had asked about the price tag on this...  It looks like MSPR is $2,199.

More details on this thread: http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5086057385/m/72810441

By the way, like the oils.  t^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 10:00:33 AM »
Thanks Seaflea, I guess I can't get away from the higher priced units no matter which way I look.  I will be waiting for Barrell to open and see what the actual boat looks like.  Loading that thing the way the video shows is not to much of a problem.  I will be usint it primerraly on the back section of IBSP using the access point at I think it is area 20 parking area.  I have seen guys drive down to the bay and drop off the boats and park in the lot and walk back to the yak.  I can handle that.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline SeaFlea

• Whenever I can!!
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 10:42:39 AM »
That is a great put-in area Paul, I know just where you're talkin' about.  There is some pretty nice fishing back in the sedges!

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 11:02:57 AM »
An old fishing buddy of mine puts his kayak in back there and has out fished me for years.  I am hoping that this year I will have a good showing with the addition of a kayak to the arsenal.  I have been talking about it for years but now that I can maneuver better this is hopefully my time.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Offline Noworries2009

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
 Hi ,been thinking of getting a kayak myself for this season. I checked out the Hobie pro-angler on-line, is it self bailing as it looks like it's quite deep around the seat area and can hold lots of water, Going thru the surf might get interesting?

Offline barrell

• Sponsor
    • Barrel Surf & Kayak
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 09:16:42 AM »
All Hobies are self bailing and dry unless your wheight is extreme for the model you got. The drive well itself allows water to escape rapidly.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-