Author Topic: pork rind trailers  (Read 6116 times)

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
pork rind trailers
« on: March 08, 2009, 09:47:06 AM »
I want to make some 14 inch trailers and larger for this season and leave them on the boat ,what should I preserve them in .I need a recipe for some kind of a brine like uncle josh's stuff .Will kosher salt work for this or will it go bad

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: pork rind trailers
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 03:51:40 PM »
Catfish, kosher salt will work or sea salt, whichever you have or whichever you can get the cheapest(no table salt though).  This process is easy...it just takes time.  Sometimes it can take a month or two just to prep the skin and make the rinds.  However, if you do enough skin, you can make enough for several years.  You can usually get pork skin(back is the best) free at any butcher.  If you are just getting the skin for fishing pork rinds, make sure you ask for this type.  Otherwise, they will try and sell you pork skin used for rendering fat for soups, chowders, etc...Kind of like the difference in price between fresh bunker and frozen crabbing bunker. 

What you need:

-Pork Skin
-You will need kosher or sea salt
-A few jars with air tight and water tight lids or anything that will not corrode and will hold the brine solution, is large enough to hold the skin you are using and can withstand boiling water
-A cutting board or old piece of wood you can cut on
-A sharp straight edge knife
-A really sharp razor knife
-Dye of your choice

First, coat and cover the skin in the salt and then roll it up.  Both sides.  You can't use too much salt.

Fill the container you are using with water and start adding salt.  You want to keep adding salt, until you can't get anymore to dissolve.  You should be able to tell when you have enough when the salt starts falling out of solution.  This is ok, if it falls out.  You really can't have too much salt!

Place the rolled up skin in the jar and leave it for 2 weeks or so.  Room temperature or cooler is better.  You don't want the brine and skin to get too hot or it will start cooking the skin before it cures it.

After 2 weeks has passed the fat and other tissue on the underside of the skin should have dissolved.  You want to take the skin out rinse it in cold water.  Now put it on a cutting board and take a sharp straight edged knife and scrape any of the remaining fat and tissue on the underside of the skin.  The dissolved fat and tissue should come of pretty easily since the brine has dissolved, loosened or softened most of the tissue.  You want to scrape until you can't scrape it any more.  Rinse the skin again and cover it with salt again and roll it up.  Discard the old brine and make a new brine solution to put the skin back in.  Leave it for 2 weeks or so again.

You may have to repeat this process several more times, until you are down to just skin.  The skin will turn white, almost translucent like a squid strip.  When you reach this point you are done prepping the skin.  Now you can cut pieces to your desired length, size, shape, etc...Best way to cut the skin is on a cutting board or old piece of wood with a razor knife.  You can color the pieces of skin with food dye, clothing dye, etc...

I used to use a few different types of dye.  Tintex or Rit work well.  Tintex seems to hold it's color the best.  Their are also food dyes that you can buy by the gallon that work really well.  I can't remember the name of the food dye I used to use, but any brand food dye that can be done cold, will work.  The best method was cold dying.  Boiling the rinds now after you have prepped them will make them soft again and they can even curl up on you.  When you dye, make sure you add salt to the solution.  Boil water and then pour it in the container.  Add salt again until it will not dissolve any longer.  Then add the dye to this mixture and let it cool so that it is barely warm, tepid.  Add the rinds and cover.  Check them daily to see how the color is taking and when the color is where you want it remove the rinds.  You can rinse them in cold water again to get any excess off or just put them into a container of brine.  You may need to change the brine once more so that any excess dye is rinsed away.  You don't want to get this dye on anything of value...it won't come off. 

You can store the rinds in smaller containers of the same brine.  Try and keep them out of high temperatures and direct sunlight or they will go bad on you.  If you spill the container accidentally while fishing, just use some ocean or bay water until you get home.  The seawater will keep them good for a couple of days.  If your white rinds discolor or you want to remove coloring from your dyed rinds, you can add some peroxide into the storing solution.  You can also redye rinds that have lost their color.

You can make a rind for less than 5 cents or so if you do a large enough batch.  This more than pays for itself, since Uncle Josh's go for $5 or so per container of 5.  It is certainly worth it, doesn't take more than a couple of hours max and when you lose a trailer, you don't have to curse as much ;D.  You can also customize them to your size, shape, color, etc...I have used my rinds on bucktails for fluke and bass, jigs for sweet water fishing, eel skin plugs and swapped the eel skin for the rind...the uses can go as far as your imagination will take it.

I have also tried other methods, boiling the skin, rendering the fat out in a frying pan, etc...anytime HEAT was involved it changed the way the rinds turned out in the end.

Good Luck!

TT^ 

Offline catfish hunter

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 04:08:42 PM »
thanks thats what I wanted to hear

Offline IrishAyes

• Fishing At It's Finest
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 06:45:01 PM »
That's some great information there, Pfishingruven.  t^
Captain Joe of the Irish Ayes

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 08:04:49 PM »
Great article there P-Man.  You should write more articles.   TT^ grtn
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline Luna Sea 5

• Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Nick (Luna Sea 5)
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 08:30:25 PM »
 t^
Fish out of Toms River NJ.
Call Nick for open boat, 973-417-5756, or on Channel 68.

Team Luna Sea 6

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 09:04:05 PM »
Nice P-man! t^ Have you got any pics of the trailers you make?

Offline Hotrod

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • The Phyllis Ann
    • NJ Outdoords Media
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 09:22:12 PM »
Great article there P-Man.  You should write more articles.   TT^ grtn
whs

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 09:29:15 PM »
Thanks guys!  I enjoy sharing what I know and enjoy dabbling in amateur writing here and there.

Bucktail-I haven't made a pork rind trailer in years.  I don't think I even had a digital camera back then, but I will see if I can find some old 35mm pics that we took.  Heck, the butcher we used to get our skins from has retired a few years ago.  We stopped making them, we when stopped fishing on a steady basis.  I don't know why we ever stopped 5hrug.  My father and I always got into our hobbies and always disliked having to settle for anything that was commercial made...especially if we could make it better for cheaper.  We would cut them in a lot of different shapes...long tapered strips in various lengths, triangular strips like you would cut a squid strip, frog type cuts, long eel looking strips, etc...  You can use poster board or a lightweight plastic to make patterns.

I am sure there are some new ways to make the pork rinds, but the way we did it worked and worked fine for our needs.  It was not very complicated, not very expensive, not time or labor intensive and the supplies we used we readily available...we didn't have internet back then.

TT^

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

rfasig.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-