Author Topic: Waders  (Read 2300 times)

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
Waders
« on: March 15, 2009, 10:32:49 AM »
Two quick questions on waders....
1. For the surf, do you need wading boots with stockingfoot waders?
2. With breathable waders, just the waders in warm water and then insulated clothe under the waders for cold water?

Offline Pfishingruven

• P-Man
  • Super Hero Member
Re: Waders
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 11:04:59 AM »
Most surf fishing guys will tell you boot foot waders.  Mostly because there is just no way to keep the sand out of the stocking foot waders with a wading boot.  However, I did ask this question to the Orvis Company and they claim that their stocking foot wader with the built in guard over their wading boots and then another neoprene sand guard over top will keep all of the sand out?  A lot of the jetty guys use the stocking foot waders.  Also, takes a lot more time to put on the stocking foot waders vs boot foot.

I think your best bet is the breathable waders.  I have a pair of neoprene which are way too hot in the spring, fall and summer and they are also VERY heavy.  In the winter I would just layer clothes underneath the breathables or they do make insulated bib sets to go under them too.

TT^

Offline ped579

• NJSF Field Reporter
  • Super Hero Member
  • Happiness is long casts, tight lines & bent rods
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 12:02:13 PM »
Hi Chris,

P-Man has the right answer but like with any thing you get what you pay for.  I was fortunate to be able to accuire a new set of Snowbee XS breathable waders in the boot foot and they are the most comfortable wader I have bought so far.  I do not like the tight neoprene for obvious reasons.  The model wader I have is partially made of neoprene with another layer that allows the wader to breath but gives it much more strength. 

Breathables will leak in a short period of time if they are not thick enough and reinforced in all the right places.  I pair of waders I have now are light weight enough to make it comfortable in the summer as well as roomie enough to add a layer of fleece in the winter.

Here is the pair I got last year and like I said they are the most comfortable pair yet.

Happy Catching

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

"Hypocrisy is not a fault these days - it is a lifestyle"

NJBBA: 4567

Ham Call; N2HYG Monitor RPT.  146.835

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 05:22:41 PM »
So noted.
For now they are on the wish list....key word being wish.   ::)
Couldn't find much useful info on the manufactures sites.

Offline Bucktail

• Just a Jig-alo
  • Admin
  • Super Hero Member
  • Have jigs. Will travel.
    • NJ Saltwater Fishing Tackle
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 06:15:26 PM »

Offline ChrisL

• Super Hero Member
    • Oak Lane Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 07:24:39 PM »
Great info Bucktail.  worth way more then .02.
Exactly what I was looking for.

NJSFlogofinal1

BSX

terrafin

Heavy Duty truck Parts On Line

Web Site Design

JSBSE_430x80.png

Know Before You Go

Local Weather | Marine Bouy Weather | Inshore Forecast | Offshore Forecast | Interactive Wind Charts | Tide Charts | Sea Surface Temps | Chlorophyll Concentrates | Online Chart Viewer

-

new jersey marine weather forecastterrafin

-